+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Older MMOs     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Older MMOs

ok lets us go back in time to the age of MMOs where people don't spend thier years getting a Kclub or battling RMT. Back to when PK'ers used to mug you in that back alley... or were you one of them??? >.>

Indulge me into what other MMOs or Online RPGs that you have played..

I have played Jumpgate, Ashen Empires, Diablo 1 & 2 to name a few.

I know there are more.. any Telnet users? fess up!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: Older MMOs

http://www.darkages.com/ enjoyed this in '02-'03

Relic Horn
    BG Level

First MMO I played was EQ1. Or Diablo 1 if you count that, but I always considered it something else.

Anyway, using your definition:
    Diablo 1
    Diablo 2
    EQ
    FFXI
    City of Heroes
    9Dragons

Easy to stay away from PK in all of those except D2. And there it didn't really matter much when you got PKed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I played the Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds beta, and I thought it was pretty addicting.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Played EQ1 from Release day until a few weeks after LDoN came out. 65 Enchanter, Max AA 4tw ;\ wish I had sold my account almost was worth a fuck ton back then (Probably 4-5k, was one of the top 3 geared Enchanters gamewide). Shit, I had no life in HS & early College ;\

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Asheron's Call. Oh how I loved killing 6-7 players at once and looting their delicious bodies

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I played EQ1 as well, actually just recently stopped playing, 75 Barbarian Warrior and about ~1400 AA's. All flags and expansions etc etc up to like the latest expansion. 17k hp unbuffed / max accuracy on all servers..last I looked anyway. Which was like 3 months ago. Someone probably got ahead by now. After awhile I played EQOA for the ps2 and EQ1 at the same time really (of course before I went to ffxi.) Lol what a waste of money.

I used to play Ultima Online (started a bit before the renaissance expansion came out), that game was great. They killed it with all the new aspects and it lost the charm it once had .

Also played diablo 1 for a while.

Diablo feels more like an online multi-player game than an MMO. Although you could think of the battle.net chat section as the "lobby" and the games as "instances" and it could be kinda like DDO or PSO/PSU.

FFXI was my first real MMO, but I played many different MUDs back in the day. One of my friend's dad's was a professor at the local college so we used his account to log into the VAX and telnet in. My friends and I got pretty addicted to those too and tried to run a couple as well.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Started with The Realm Online back in like '99... those were the days

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fayttt
    I played EQ1 as well, actually just recently stopped playing, 75 Barbarian Warrior and about ~1400 AA's. All flags and expansions etc etc up to like the latest expansion. 17k hp unbuffed / max accuracy on all servers..last I looked anyway. Which was like 3 months ago. Someone probably got ahead by now. After awhile I played EQOA for the ps2 and EQ1 at the same time really (of course before I went to ffxi.) Lol what a waste of money.
    Man, 17khp... when I quit during LDoN my Enc was about to breach 8 or 9k... Near every piece of gear I had was PoTime. Any other piece from the elementals.

I played Everquest Online Adventures. It was my first MMO, I don't even think I got past level 25 in that game. But I made a lot of friends, and Adventured a lot. With the Shaman Invisible Spell You could go every where! An Auction House were ever you went. I also Made a guild called F U C K. Which was amusingly Funny back in Jr. High School.

But least too say I've had more fun with that game then I ever did in Final Fantasy XI or I am having in Wow.

I had played Ultima Online, from Beta releast up until months before the Lord Blackthorn's revenge expansion.
    Third Dawn was pretty much a joke., while second age was ok.
    Man, I miss my blacksmith crafting mule, my swordsman criminal and my mage, lol

On my murderer, i used to hang around Covetous, and prayed on miners. Until the day they created the Trammel/Felluca seperation. That was gay.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do MUDs count?

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by eckokujata
    I played Everquest Online Adventures. It was my first MMO, I don't even think I got past level 25 in that game. But I made a lot of friends, and Adventured a lot. With the Shaman Invisible Spell You could go every where! An Auction House were ever you went. I also Made a guild called F U C K. Which was amusingly Funny back in Jr. High School.

But least too say I've had more fun with that game then I ever did in Final Fantasy XI or I am having in Wow.
    lol exploring was awesome in EQOA..invis + sow and you could go like anywhere.

Fayttt wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    Man, 17khp... when I quit during LDoN my Enc was about to breach 8 or 9k... Near every piece of gear I had was PoTime. Any other piece from the elementals.
    LDoN made me so angry. It was such a waste of an expansion..the only decent thing about it was augs

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by eckokujata

lol exploring was awesome in EQOA..invis + sow and you could go like anywhere.

Fayttt wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    LDoN made me so angry. It was such a waste of an expansion..the only decent thing about it was augs
    Yeah I got my was it 5? +40hp? Augs and quit lol. Tried to come back during GoD but was like... all my friends quit due to Uqua... back to FFXI.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Don't forget not having to zone four times and run across the whole snow zone to get to a Vox raid. I think there was a PoK book outside Halas, but the camp ports still got you closer.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    Don't forget not having to zone four times and run across the whole snow zone to get to a Vox raid. I think there was a PoK book outside Halas, but the camp ports still got you closer.
    People still did Vox at that time?...? I mean, I know some friends and I had alts which we killed Vox with but... people actually raided her... 6, 52's was enough to drop her NPNP

Quote Originally Posted by Drinhkinn
    I had played Ultima Online, from Beta releast up until months before the Lord Blackthorn's revenge expansion.
    Third Dawn was pretty much a joke., while second age was ok.
    Man, I miss my blacksmith crafting mule, my swordsman criminal and my mage, lol

On my murderer, i used to hang around Covetous, and prayed on miners. Until the day they created the Trammel/Felluca seperation. That was gay.
    Corp Por, dickface. Leave my miner alone

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.

I stopped playing D2: LoD after the 1.10 patch came out. IMO, it fucked up the game.