BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The Ashu-Talif quest

The Ashu-Talif quest

Just had a question about good/best set-up for each part

Thanks in advance for any good replies I get

Re: The Ashu-Talif quest

Shit is situational you wanna go for safe wins or max chests?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    Shit is situational
    This is the correct answer.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

4 blu/nin, 1 rdm/drk, 1 brd/whm rapes the face off of Tier1. That's the only one I've had the time to try thus far; gonna go after tier2 either tomorrow or sometime later this week, so I can't readily attest to setups/strats on those. There's a fairly long thread on all of The Ashu Talif quests though, it's worth a read.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

What's the point of winning if yo udon't get the chests you want?

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Judai
    What's the point of winning if yo udon't get the chests you want?
    Tier 1/2 are worth just "winning" for the next tier clearance. If you're farming though you'd want chests.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

To get through tier 1, just make sure all of your DDs have an AOE weapon skill. You need a healer and then people to deal damage, simple enough. Premium jobs are BLU, as mentioned, SAM (Can clear entire waves with the use of Revitalizers), and PLD and THF for pulling the larger waves with the use of multiple 2 hours via Revitalizer.

Tier 2, you just want jobs effective at zerging. SAM, RNG, MNK, to a lesser extent RDM. Just have one person to keep the pops outside off of the painter for the 20 seconds it takes you to kill Bartholomew when he pops.

Tier 3, we always did NIN, PLD, SAM, WHM, RDM and easily got all 3 chests. Pretty much anyone with shadows can work in place of the NIN, but movement speed does help since they patched the captain to run at full speed. The SAM was never necessary, but kept it from being an absurdly long fight. I would say the minimum to do it without major headaches would be NIN, PLD, RDM, RDM.

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Eraphiel
    4 blu/nin, 1 rdm/drk, 1 brd/whm rapes the face off of Tier1. That's the only one I've had the time to try thus far; gonna go after tier2 either tomorrow or sometime later this week, so I can't readily attest to setups/strats on those. There's a fairly long thread on all of The Ashu Talif quests though, it's worth a read.
    Indeed. Even with two BLU the tier 1 fight is a joke. A Disseverment will kill any fomor in one shot, and a Frypan-BodySlam combo will kill any number of nearby fomor. Generally I wait until I'm at 100 mp or so to pop the Vile Elixir +1 temp item that appears every so often. Actinic Burst is also very helpful in attracting attention with a minimum of MP (to save your mages, mostly).

With two BLU and a feisty RNG we were able to stun-lock the NM the first time he appeared and kill him before he ran away once.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeks
    Tier 2, you just want jobs effective at zerging. SAM, RNG, MNK, to a lesser extent RDM. Just have one person to keep the pops outside off of the painter for the 20 seconds it takes you to kill Bartholomew when he pops.
    Just a note that you don't need to zerg tier 2 even if you want to get the second chest. Black Bart pops with another fomor next to him, and neither of them make a move if you don't attack them. After the painter finishes her sketch and/or you kill the rest of the mobs, Black Bart and his buddy will rush you. Kite or hold the fomor while you kill Bart to get the win and second chest. Done this way, the fight is basically an easier version of tier 1 since there are less mobs and no imps, except that you'll want a healer to keep the npc alive.

I don't know if getting the third chest (supposedly drops if the npc takes little to no damage) is easier with zerging or not, but either way you'll need people that can do damage quickly to pull the mobs off the npc (voke/flash won't work to pull off all the mobs).