Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Chocobo Raising/Digging question

I know there's not many diggers here, but I thought I would try anyways.

I recently raised a fine red chocobo and acquired the Burrow and Bore abilities. I went out and tested it and yes was able to dig up items from the different tiers.

Given that still had 15 days of optimal raising, I decided to keep training it to make it faster. Reading on wiki someone said that if you teach a story to a bird that already knows two abilities it will not learn the ability, but become "inspired" and still regain half it's energy. I tested this out and it did indeed occur.

Much to my disappointment though, when I went out digging, I no longer could get the items from "Bore". It's been about a week and I haven't dug up a single "bore" item. Examining my chocobo still says it knows both abilities.

Anyone else have this happen, and better, had they been able to correct it?

I tried two GM's who were largely useless and filed a Bug report that got a form letter.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Re: Chocobo Raising/Digging question

My Digging Chocobos perform as expected and I had them inspired by all stories after the desired two had been learned. Where are you digging and what are you expecting as Bore items?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

heh, this got moved to the newbie player advice area. Shows how respected digging is.

I mainly dig in the jungles. There I would expect at least an arrowwood log. I'm an A25 digger and have no problem pulling up deathballs which is the highest rank "Burrow" item.

For the first few days I was pulling up tons of arrowwood and the occassional oak and elm, but then it just stopped. I'm wondering if I retire the bird then reactivate it for calling it I'll get the ability back.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Snarg
    heh, this got moved to the newbie player advice area. Shows how respected digging is.
    When Ridills and Adaman Huaberks can be dug up with a Chocobo, we will move this thread back to Advanced.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I mainly dig in the jungles. There I would expect at least an arrowwood log. I'm an A25 digger and have no problem pulling up deathballs which is the highest rank "Burrow" item.

For the first few days I was pulling up tons of arrowwood and the occassional oak and elm, but then it just stopped. I'm wondering if I retire the bird then reactivate it for calling it I'll get the ability back.
    Hmm, I was there recently with a Bore/Treasure Finder-bo and got arrowwood and the logs I actually wanted.
    Before retiring I'd just try re-registering (no retiring needed, especially if you still want to fiddle around with it, raise END for example) or even better turn an application for racing in and see what stats that NPC claims for your Chocobo.

Otherwise I'm at a lose, I haven't seen such a thing before . I've dug with the wrong Chocobo before (I just recently got a colored digger, the other one and my Hot&Cold-bo - doubles as standard riding chocobo - are yellow) and only saw it by the digging results, but they always pulled up what I expected them to pull up (except when I was in the false zone ^^)

Good Luck

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I've gone chocobo digging every day for more than three years now, and still I wouldn't have posted on the advanced board about it.

Once my bird learned Bore (I didn't want Burrow, so gave it Treasure Finder as its second ability), I "taught" it all the other stories to get its energy back. It's known Bore forever after, never "lost" it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

chances are another Bore user is digging with bore/burrow and is dominating your digging spots =)

I always feel that using bore/burrow chocobo kills items in the zone faster than rental. (anywhere)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Maybe the Bore/Burrow items are slipped in when your dig normally wouldn't bring up any items, but it still counts against the zones items. That would make a zone seemingly deplete faster.

Dice and rum

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My theory on it is that there are three totally independent pools: Bore, Burrow, and "native". If you're on a rental bird, you'd only get the native stuff. Each of the three pools can be dug from or filled with no affect at all on the other two pools.

That's why, if you're just starting out digging, it's best to have a Bore/Burrow bird (say that three times fast), that way you'll pull up the most items -- your goal is to skill up, not make money. However, in my opinion, a more experienced digger would not want Burrow because it brings in lower quality stuff.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleChaser
    My theory on it is that there are three totally independent pools: Bore, Burrow, and "native". If you're on a rental bird, you'd only get the native stuff. Each of the three pools can be dug from or filled with no affect at all on the other two pools.

That's why, if you're just starting out digging, it's best to have a Bore/Burrow bird (say that three times fast), that way you'll pull up the most items -- your goal is to skill up, not make money. However, in my opinion, a more experienced digger would not want Burrow because it brings in lower quality stuff.
    I hope you are gathering your thoughts for what you are going to write for the Chocobo Digging, Chocobo Raising, and Chocobo Hot & Cold sections of the BGWiki.

Dice and rum

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I hope you are gathering your thoughts for what you are going to write for the Chocobo Digging, Chocobo Raising, and Chocobo Hot & Cold sections of the BGWiki.
    I'm sorry but after FFXIclopedia let me down, ran around, and deserted me, I can't bring myself to write for another wiki.

PS: Took me for granite, too.

Thanks though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleChaser
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I'm sorry but after FFXIclopedia let me down, ran around, and deserted me, I can't bring myself to write for another wiki.

PS: Took me for granite, too.

Thanks though.
    Hey, buck up guy. Just because one Wiki broke your heart doesn't mean that all Wikis are bad. There are plenty of Wikis in the sea, and when you fall off the saddle, you need to remember that you never forget how to ride a bike.

I went to the George W. Bush School of Metaphors.

Aren't chocolixers suppose to restore energy? Ive used three over the course of three days trying to get the quest done to call my bird and none of them take. Second question can the item be in any zone and not just the long walk zone? I guess I assumed it was long walk till now.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Excalin Garisk
    Aren't chocolixers suppose to restore energy?
    For the chocolixier to take effect your Chocobo has to be at least a tiny bit hungry still. If your Chocobo is already full and no longer hungry, neither medicine nor chocolixiers will have an effect.
    Second question can the item be in any zone and not just the long walk zone? I guess I assumed it was long walk till now.
    The item can be on any length of walks, if you can't find it on a certain length of walk it is probably on another.

Orz chocos make me go loco