Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spoilers     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level

Spoilers

Are a no-no. Or at least are meant to be greatly avoided.

The idea is that a player new to the game or a veteran who has yet to complete a certain mission line can still enjoy indulging into the wealth of information we will have up on the site.

Plot twists such as betrayals and revelations("We are.... we are.... we are....!") are highest priority to be hush-hush about. Stuff like minor mission bosses(Snoll Tzar) can slide without problem.

Information found through resources like random street NPCs, Playonline.com, and books like "Life in Vana'diel", which Elmer is translating, are never considered spoilers.

Certain spoilers, such as characters who turn on you, will be kept on a second page. The mission where this character is fought would directly link to that second page, but other resources(such as an Vana'diel Tribune article) will link to that non-spolierous page.

At some point in the future, I think it will be easy to set something like a plot synopsis which will be of course marked as spoilers. Right now, I think it would be a good idea just to focus on catching up to the Playonline website ;x. A personal goal of mine I hope can be shared with others is to make bg-wiki the #1 site for actual Vana'diel history(that's history, not plot spoilers).

If anyone has any questions or concerns you can contact the wiki staff posted as a sticky in this section. I personally invite anyone to ask me questions, especially about the "Lore" section.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Re: Spoilers

Where do we draw the line though?

I was trying to run some description on Zilart and Kuluu, but I'm really having a hard time on how far I should go into the detail of the race.

Should I even mention the whole "whisper of the soul"? Should I mention that the Zilartian survivors controls jeuno from the shadows through Armathrawn society? Should the whole meltdown thousands of year ago that split the protocrystal into 5 and created the 5 races of altana be mentioned?

Or should I just go by yoran-oran's (or whichever taru the chebukkis asked on CoP Ch.3) generic description of "An ancient race of people that went extinct thousands of years ago"

Banned.

BG Level

Should I even mention the whole "whisper of the soul"? Should I mention that the Zilartian survivors controls jeuno from the shadows through Armathrawn society? Should the whole meltdown thousands of year ago that split the protocrystal into 5 and created the 5 races of altana be mentioned?
    No. No. Yes, but as written in the legend on the Pol page(ancients tried to reach the gods, blah blah, got punished).

You can expand further in a spoiler page, something like [[Zilart/Spoiler]]. I would still keep out major plot details out of this(like what happens at the end of RotZ).

As for the front page, you can also include stuff like structures of those people, and uh so on. Way too tired to get into detail right this moment. There is more nonspoilerous information on those two races than one would originally think.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    No. No. Yes, but as written in the legend on the Pol page(ancients tried to reach the gods, blah blah, got punished).

You can expand further in a spoiler page, something like [[Zilart/Spoiler]]. I would still keep out major plot details out of this(like what happens at the end of RotZ).

As for the front page, you can also include stuff like structures of those people, and uh so on. Way too tired to get into detail right this moment. There is more nonspoilerous information on those two races than one would originally think.
    When in doubt, put it on the spoiler page. If people decide it is not really a spoiler, it can be moved later. (But you can never unspoil something that has been spoiled.)

But really, common sense is the key. If it is revealed that some prominent female NPC is actually a guy, you know that is a huge spoiler to say "Hey guys, this NPC is sporting something extra." on the NPC's page.