+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phantasy Star     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Phantasy Star

Any Phantasy Star series fans? I've been playing the series since the first one on the original Sega. Though the PSO series has been entertaining, the MMO editions are overrun with hackers, causing me to suckle at FFXI's teet again. My personal favorite is PSIII. I know it's the redheaded stepchild of the series, but I like the way the story branches (and Rhys is a bad ass mofo).

Re: Phantasy Star

I got the Phantasy Star collection including 1,2, and 3 for the GBA all on oen cartridge. Snagged it for 12 bucks 2 years ago. The enviroments are pretty bland from what I remember but they've always had good characters.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Phantasy Star 4 was pretty good. Even years after, when I played it for the first time on emulator, it was still a pretty good rpg. Never finished 1-2-3 tho.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Love 4, couldn't ever get into the other 3 though ._.

I loved the 4th and the 2nd PS. Phantasy Star IV was my first electronic RPG ever X)
    I think they should have continued the whole "Algol Defenders" storyline thing instead of going for a weird spin-off like PSO :/

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Vincent
    I loved the 4th and the 2nd PS. Phantasy Star IV was my first electronic RPG ever X)
    I think they should have continued the whole "Algol Defenders" storyline thing instead of going for a weird spin-off like PSO :/
    Algol was saved. They destroyed the ultimate evil. I think they should have done something else that wasn't a fucking retarded MMO lite instead though.

Chaz is my favorite main character from any RPG.

PS1,2&4 should be remade for PS2+ Era imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    Algol was saved. They destroyed the ultimate evil.
    I know... but they could always find ways around it... Even if it was something cliche like "the evil in people's hearts will always revive the Profound Darkness".

I think they should have done something else that wasn't a fucking retarded MMO lite instead though.
    So true

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

[quote=Dark Vincent]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dark Vincent":b5c5e
    I know... but they could always find ways around it... Even if it was something cliche like "the evil in people's hearts will always revive the Profound Darkness".

I think they should have done something else that wasn't a fucking retarded MMO lite instead though.
    So true [/quote:b5c5e]

Fuck that, nothing makes a more retarded sequel then that.

[quote=Vinen]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dark Vincent":45edf

So true
    Fuck that, nothing makes a more retarded sequel then that.[/quote:45edf]Rofl, but it's so original!!

Groovebox

I love the series, I've been playing it since the the first time I had a "snow day" back in the day and decided to pop in the original PS on the SMS.

I wish they didn't ruin it with PSU

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've only finished 4, but I love the story and atomsphere behind the series. But god, the battle system in 4 is so awesome. I love the various combos, and macros made it so easy/fast to do things. <3 I need to find the other games and finish them over my break. ;\

S N K
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I played the hell out of the entire series thru the master system into the Sega Genesis.

I liked them all inculding III which gets a lot of hate but honestly II and IV were probably the best ones out of that series. I loved being able to combine weapon skills/Spells in IV which made the battles more intresting. Kinda cool how they even created a macro system so you could do those combos at the push of a button.

Good times.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Love the series... But thinking of PSOBB makes me remember my ex to much and shes finally almost out of my head thank god! But yeah first RPG was one of the PS's

Phantasy Star was first RPG series I got really "into" and is still my favorite oldskool series to date.

Hopefully someday they make a PS5 , sadly they already wasted their easy storyline on the "3rd ship" with PSU.
    (At the end of PS2 3 "colonies" survived, PS3-4 was one, PSO, other was PSU)

I think it'll actually be likely in the future considering how huge a publisher Sega is becoming , sadly it'll probably just be a cash in real time rpg.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I used to play on Dreamcast, and then continued on Xbox. As you said, a lot of hackers/dupers but I lived with it. It was an awesome game.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey
    Phantasy Star was first RPG series I got really "into" and is still my favorite oldskool series to date.

Hopefully someday they make a PS5 , sadly they already wasted their easy storyline on the "3rd ship" with PSU.
    (At the end of PS2 3 "colonies" survived, PS3-4 was one, PSO, other was PSU)

I think it'll actually be likely in the future considering how huge a publisher Sega is becoming , sadly it'll probably just be a cash in real time rpg.
    PS3 was one colony ship. PS4 didn't involve any colony ships. Only mentions were made of them such as the crashed one to the east of the guilds town.

The Algo system is still in pretty shitty shape so who knows what they could think of.

PS3 was one colony ship. PS4 didn't involve any colony ships. Only mentions were made of them such as the crashed one to the east of the guilds town.
    I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember there was a strong plot link implying the world of PS4 happened 1000+ years after PS3. Which is why I included them together in my mini-summary.

Edit: I remember, one of the androids in PS4 was in PS3 and mentions some of the PS3 plot elements.

At least we can take solace all the PSO/PSU assholes are already dead before PS4.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey
    I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember there was a strong plot link implying the world of PS4 happened 1000+ years after PS3. Which is why I included them together in my mini-summary.

Edit: I remember, one of the androids in PS4 was in PS3 and mentions some of the PS3 plot elements.

At least we can take solace all the PSO/PSU assholes are already dead before PS4.
    PS3/PS4 are supposed to have occurring at the exact same time *I think*. PS3 might even take place afterwards, there was a lot of talk on forums about how Darkforce still existed.

PS1 takes place 1000 years prior to PS2. PS2 takes places 1000 years prior to PS4.

PS3 doesn't fit into the time line well... unless it takes place at the exact same time as PS4 thus multiple darkforces could exist at once.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

played them all except for the first and PSOBB and liked them. well I liked PSU in offline mode but not so much online/orpg mode.