Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BST jug pet question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BST jug pet question

Can anyone tell me which (if any) jug pets have piercing attack type? Is there a page somewhere that might have info on what attack types different monsters have?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Re: BST jug pet question

As far as I know, all BST jugs are blunt, and BST pet damage in general seems to be blunt, even if you charm/call something that really seems like it should be using teeth and stuff. I've personally used crabs, rabbits, bats, and probably a bunch of other stuff on skeletons, and the damage all seemed pretty similar.

i had assumed that all mob damage was blunt too, but based off my experience using bees vs leeches, i'm not as confident in that assumption, though i'm still riding on it. with the natural blunt resistance that leeches get, they should have been taking nuts for damage from the bees, but the bees seemed to keep up very well, with my duo buddy and i only gaining hate when we did something stupid or careless. it's possible that bees are just THAT mean and still tore the leeches a new one, but having learned fear for the mighty leech by using them as pets so many times, i'm somewhat hesitant to write them off so easily.

I'll agree with the rest, I think all normal jug pet melee attacks are blunt. That doesn't mean the sic tp moves will be blunt though, similar to smn's avatars. But then again, since you have little control over what tp move you get with sic, instead of getting big scissors which could be slashing, you will get bubble curtain.

Just wanted to add that I know for a fact that CourierCarrie and FunguarFamiliar can only damage JoT when he's in blunt mode. Similarly, they can't hurt the blunt-immune slimes in that one limbus. It's a safe bet that all jugs and probably all (charmable) mobs have blunt melee damage. As the last post notes, mob TP moves can be different types (1000 Needles is piercing, some of tiger's moves are slahing I think) but since you can't choose them it doesn't really help much.

well, we certainly know that many mob TP moves vary widely in the type of damage they give, since looking at blu spell properties, we can see they run the gamut from piercing to h2h type damage. despite this, just because queasyshroom is piercing, i highly doubt shrooms are piercing type damage with their melee attacks. on a related note, is it known if yagudo sam for example deliver slashing damage, or if lamia start off dealing slashing (the ones with swords at any rate) and then switch to blunt when it's broken? it seems logical, but katars still count as blunt damage for some reason, so logic just went out the window.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I think there was a thread a while ago about a BST that was killing that Energitic Eruca? Or whatever it was called. One of the pets he tried using wouldn't damage it, and I think it is immune to slashing?

I'm pretty sure (about 99% sure) that all pet damage counts as hand to hand by default unless it has another specified type of damage (pup is the only job that has a pet with non-h2h damage type for regular melee). This includes avatars, bst pets, wyverns, and h2h using puppet frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    I think there was a thread a while ago about a BST that was killing that Energitic Eruca? Or whatever it was called. One of the pets he tried using wouldn't damage it, and I think it is immune to slashing?
    This would be easier to test on Temperance. I'll still stand by my assertion that all pet melee is blunt.