Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Template:User - how do I make a user page?

I took a look at some people's user pages and they seem to be importing different templates to display their jobs and quests and so forth - but I can't seem to figure out where to find these templates at. I looked in the templates page but it's not listed there.

Is there a guide somewhere that shows/explains how to create and edit your own user page?
    I've made minor wiki edits before but using templates/making wiki pages is pretty much new to me ^^;

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: Template:User - how do I make a user page?

a list of templates can be found in Category:Templates but not all of them are there yet (I've been working on collecting everything that got missed)

some of them aren't templates but that's ok I guess, if it's not a real template you can just copy/paste the syntax.

generally, templates work like this:

{{template:name
    |Thing1=value
    |Thing2=value
    |Thing3=value
    }}

values can be as simple as a word or number or as complex as an entire sortkey table (although generally they're pretty simple) anything that would require a vertical pipe* in wiki-text should generally be written in html instead; otherwise it can break the template depending on what you put in.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/hades is a good example of how to use this kind of template. (it's a simple template too!) click edit to see the text of the page. the template used was http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Template:Server%20Info (you can view source to see how the template was built)

some templates don't have named {{{tags}}} -> just a {{{1}}} {{{2}}} etc.

for these, you just list them in order like this:
    {{template:name
    |value
    |value
    |value
    }}

and it'll fill in the same way. (note that they aren't named here)

feel free to contact me in this thread/pm/http://wiki.bluegartr.com/user%20talk:Amele if you've got more questions about this or anything else wiki related

* vertical pipe: |

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

If you want to check my user page I've got a 4-row job level table that I stole from Ferien's page. I reorganized the jobs into the order they usually appear in FFXI. (And I like my colour scheme better ;P)

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Your user page can be unique, it doesn't have to follow a template. You could find someone's that you like and tweak it to your liking, or just ask for their permission to use it!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

right, but templates for things like a job list or crafts and links and stuff can sure be convenient! especially if they're stylish.

Murphie

I totally stole Elesirdur's template. It was very handy!

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Oddly enough my user page got ripped off quite often when it was originally on the ganipedia. I originally made those massive quest list templates for kicks, but they got really popular.

Typical usage can be worked out simply by looking at the source, just click edit, and locate what you want. Change where you need to change and go from there.

Its your own blank slate though, you can do whatever you want, because its generally accepted that userpages are not to be touched by anyone but the user. The only thing I'd suggest is that if you plan on stealing someones layout, either ask them first or give some credit to them. You're obviously not required to, but its just a nice courtesy

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Just like what everyone said, customize it to your own will, you might like and dislike codes from others' pages, and pick and choose what you'd like to keep on yours. Like Toxic, I've had a bunch of friends come to want to create a userpage for themselves. There are two handy categories that are still being worked on for templates to be used exclusively for a userpage.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Category:Te ... _Templates
    http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Category:Userbox_Templates

Once I can find some time, I'll try to make a help page for creating userpages and such.