+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Re: Monster categories (Bestiary)

Quote Originally Posted by Amele
    I think that, given that we don't have the taxonomic complexities of wikipedia; that we should leverage the category page to talk about the family.

in the case of mobs whose name matches their family name (crawler comes to mind) we disambiguate at the top of the page: "did you mean Category:Crawler?"
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    in the case of mobs whose name matches their family name (crawler comes to mind) we disambiguate at the top of the page: "did you mean Category:Crawler?"
    Imo, for Crawler is should be category first, then monster. For something like Cerberus, vice versa.
    There shouldn't be double standards at all. If someone goes to [[Crawler]] it will go to the monster's page. But that page will also have a disambiguation to [[Crawler (Family)]] which is simply a redirect to the Category page (via. #REDIRECT [[:Category:Crawler]]).

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

don't think we'll even need a page for monster(family) (redirect or otherwise)

in the disambiguation you could link to [[:Category:Crawler|Crawler (family)]]

if you think people won't intuitively understand Category:Crawler as the page about crawlers in general. but either way I don't think a page of that will ever be needed. *shrugs*

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I would recommend the other way around, that Crawler first go to the category with a disambiguation redirect to the low-level mob.

And, to prevent double-standards, if you look up Cerberus, you get the Category:Cerberus with the HNM, beseiged, and assault versions listed.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

don't think we'll even need a page for monster(family) (redirect or otherwise)

in the disambiguation you could link to [[:Category:Crawler|Crawler (family)]]

if you think people won't intuitively understand Category:Crawler as the page about crawlers in general. but either way I don't think a page of that will ever be needed. *shrugs*
    No, because that's not how I created the Disambiguation Template. That won't work. Hence why I plaused the redirection method, but it's easy on the names.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

oh, yeah, the vertical pipe and parsing thing.

I already solved that: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Template:! 8) (originally created to build tables inside {{{1}}})

for an in-action example, see http://wiki.bluegartr.com/user:amele/sandbox

edited the first sentence to reflect the actual problem

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

oh, yeah, the vertical pipe and parsing thing.

I already solved that: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Template:! 8) (originally created to build tables inside {{{1}}})

for an in-action example, see http://wiki.bluegartr.com/user:amele/sandbox

edited the first sentence to reflect the actual problem
    Oooh you are good, I'll shut up about it now. I didn't understand it, till I looked at the code. =D>

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm not perfect yet;

I haven't figured out how to inline a table into another table with the {{!}} template. although I have successfully done it with <table> it ends up looking weird and often breaks background colors.

if you want a project, figure out how to build a dynamic table that looks like the one on the Template:Spells page, using either {{!}} or <table> as necessary. (maybe a fresh set of eyes will solve it faster than I haven't been able to)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm not perfect yet;

I haven't figured out how to inline a table into another table with the {{!}} template. although I have successfully done it with <table> it ends up looking weird and often breaks background colors.

if you want a project, figure out how to build a dynamic table that looks like the one on the Template:Spells page, using either {{!}} or <table> as necessary. (maybe a fresh set of eyes will solve it faster than I haven't been able to)
    What about using {| ... |}?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    I'm not perfect yet;

What about using {| ... |}?
    the table seems to break - I end up with either the table header in the first cell (where the whole table should sit) or a blank, and then the rest of the table strung out like it's part of the primary table.

it doesn't seem to handle fully nested {||} tables well. although it'll handle {|<table></table>|} fine, that only works if the original table is 'pad' 0 .. I think. (last time I tried it, it ended up giving me a table but sort of floating in the middle of the cell, rather than anchored to the edges.)