BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Template Revison: Item and Equipment entries

Using Noble's Tunic as an example, I filled in the images. As you can see, it leaves a bit to desired. At most, I think items should require 2 images, such as for armor. Icon is redundant and unnecessary; items that are unseen should only require one. In addition, it would make more sense for the images to be below the header, instead of above them as they are now. Thoughts?

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Re: Template Revison: Item and Equipment entries

I'm glad that someone figured this out. I've uploaded about a dozen description boxes of some armor and weapons I have for testing purposes and place them in their respective articles.

I do agree that the icon seems somewhat misplaced. Perhaps putting the icon image to the left of the main article title would look good; it would be similar to how items look in your inventory list, but bigger.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I would argue that the icon is unneeded entirely. It's already present in the description image, there's no need for it to be in there twice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Similarly, for the in-game shot should we only be using Model Viewer shots to isolate it or are shots with players acceptable (or preferred?).

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I can do model viewer all day tomorrow to get the gear done, it's cleaner that way as well.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

How about weapons?

And speaking of images, is there a way to batch upload files? I uploaded about a dozen files individually and that felt like it took forever.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'd favor model viewer for that as well, with a width of 366 pixels and height as allowed. You can use the placeholder feet model for the swimsuits to get rid of the feet. Incidentally, 366 pixels is the width of the ingame item description boxes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Personally, I would prefer in-game shots for armor whenever possible. Would have to see what the rest of the staff has to say about it.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As of right now 366w will cause table problems on 1024res and below. Either the images would have to be smaller, or the stat tables should be shorter, or just the people who use those res' wont always be able to see the full item description. Could just use thumbnails too. I kinda like the model viewer version myself.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

366w is the one dimension that can't be changed, as it's also the 1:1 size of the item description box. I'm on a 1024 display right now, and I'm not seeing any table breaking problems with it. Could you post a pic showing what you mean by that?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The icon could be used as part of a template to refer to items in other pages, perhaps?

e.g. make a template such that in some other page, say on the page for Leaping Lizzy talking about Bounding Boots, you refer to the item as {{item|Bounding Boots}} and it will automatically present it like:

http://images.somepage.com/ffxi/icons/15351.jpgBounding Bootshttp://wiki.bluegartr.com/images/4/4d/Rare-Icon.gifhttp://wiki.bluegartr.com/images/2/2a/Ex-Icon.gif

or whatever formatting looks nice in the wiki.

Additionally, that template could be made to (if wiki lets you) do a little overlay window on mouseover that'll show the condensed stats, like the new Linkshell Community feature, and the way WoW does it.

On the other pages, all you'd need to do is {{item|Bounding Boots}} and it'll insert all that for you.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde
    366w is the one dimension that can't be changed, as it's also the 1:1 size of the item description box. I'm on a 1024 display right now, and I'm not seeing any table breaking problems with it. Could you post a pic showing what you mean by that?
    I drew in red where the table continues under the picture.
    http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7951/ntjs0.jpg

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    The icon could be used as part of a template to refer to items in other pages, perhaps?

e.g. make a template such that in some other page, say on the page for Leaping Lizzy talking about Bounding Boots, you refer to the item as {{item|Bounding Boots}} and it will automatically present it like:

http://images.somepage.com/ffxi/icons/15351.jpgBounding Bootshttp://wiki.bluegartr.com/images/4/4d/Rare-Icon.gifhttp://wiki.bluegartr.com/images/2/2a/Ex-Icon.gif

or whatever formatting looks nice in the wiki.

Additionally, that template could be made to (if wiki lets you) do a little overlay window on mouseover that'll show the condensed stats, like the new Linkshell Community feature, and the way WoW does it.

On the other pages, all you'd need to do is {{item|Bounding Boots}} and it'll insert all that for you.
    That's what I was thinking, it looks pretty nice and at the article title, the font should be just about the same pt height as the Icon.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

ah, you were referring to 1024x768, I thought you were giving the horizontal dimension. However, that is not a problem with the model, but rather with the description boxes, which would be required to be resized if we are to accommodate the 366 issue. See the "Magenta Chip" page to see what I mean.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Personally, I would prefer in-game shots for armor whenever possible. Would have to see what the rest of the staff has to say about it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

All I have to say is... the Item template... is going to be revamped altogether. I wouldn't worry about the image sizes as long as it doesn't get any bigger than that Noble's. I'm just waiting on Vega and TBR (maybe few other people) before I start working on it. But please, please, please, do NOT edit the item pages yet. Yes, I know your 3 images may fit right there, but it'll just mess up the semantics once we get the entire thing working, because "{{{action-image}}}" and "{{{description-image}}}" are both template attributes that will automatically be replaced with images once the template is set in stone.

So for now, just upload one image of the ingame description and name it the same as the item ### icon.png that's on the corresponding page. We'll work with it later if need be. Thanks^^