BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Flash game cost

So someone asked me to design a flash game last week. It has been a while since I have designed Flash for profit, so I was curious if anyone here knows what the current competitive rates are?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: Flash game cost

How good is it going to be?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerios
    How good is it going to be?
    Well, it is an educational game aimed at college students. It's not going to be anything fun like an action/adventure side scroller or RPG, just a nice interactive lesson about how cells work.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

look at how much time it'll cost you and break it down like that, and give em a break if you know them personally. honestly not really completely sure but make sure its enough that its worth your time ;p

make a puzzle game, good ones are hard to find and the most fun for long day's at work.

If you hq the game though do roughly 3-4x the cost of an nq

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by izembo
    look at how much time it'll cost you and break it down like that, and give em a break if you know them personally. honestly not really completely sure but make sure its enough that its worth your time ;p
    Yeah, that's the problem. She wants me to bill ahead, I would rather charge per hour. I have no idea how long it will take to make it, especially the graphics. >_>

she's tryin to rip you off then by hoping you'll charge less than if it takes a ton of time and you can't upcharge later.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

map out what you want the program to do and sketch out what that would require you to make. take it you have the experience and looking at that you can probably get a general idea of about how long it'll take. then go ahead and add some more time onto it just to be safe. she wants to pay up front? make sure you cover yourself then. or contract it that its X cost for X amount of work, and she gets whatever is done at X hours for X cost. If she wants more, she has to further commision it.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm not sure of the going rates but after you figure out what the time invested will be. Tack on about 20% to your offer and work from there. You can probably get 10% over what you REALLY need.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Maybe go to Barnes and Noble or wherever and flip through this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Artists-G ... 28-1458243

Funny thing, I'm at the same wall right now. Contact of mine has possible contractual work with flash/Adobe Captivate... but I have no clue what to charge as this is my first time heh. Don't wanna do too little and get jipped, or too much and get passed over ;;

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais
    Funny thing, I'm at the same wall right now. Contact of mine has possible contractual work with flash/Adobe Captivate... but I have no clue what to charge as this is my first time heh. Don't wanna do too little and get jipped, or too much and get passed over ;;
    When I was really active as a Flash consultant I was charging $30/hour. I am not sure if the market is the same now or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhais
    When I was really active as a Flash consultant I was charging $30/hour. I am not sure if the market is the same now or not.
    I just got out of a discussion with one of my instructors and a random contractor that was floating through the halls. Glad I read here, since their experience was mostly business related and they were talking 125-150/hr haha.

Makes me wanna buckle down more and open up connections to the military ._. money to be made there.

30/hr for flash stuff sounds reasonable. I only get paid 14/hr at my main job, so 30/hr sounds amazing...