Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Search Bar     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Search Bar

Could this be moved up the page so you don't have to scroll down when trying to search for something? It's a very minor detail but it gets annoying after the 50th time. ^^

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Re: Search Bar

If you're willing to login and use the BlueCologne skin it is.

oh, i thought i had it set to auto-login. my bad, thanks

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

we're working on fixing it for the default skin too - it was an oversight when we expanded the quick links on the left, but it's proving to be a little easier said than done.

(we're quite aware XD I have my res at 1600x1200 and it's just barely visible on mine)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What about for those who log in and use MonoBook?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    What about for those who log in and use MonoBook?
    doesn't monobook use the same layout for that panel as default? (forgive me, I don't know all the layouts off the top of my head)

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

MonoBook is the default isn't it?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

that would answer that then! (yes, monobook is the default)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine
    If you're willing to login and use the BlueCologne skin it is.
    Wow, that skin is truly revolting.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to move the search bar. I would if I could.

However, I have reduced the size of the "quick nav" bar a fair amount, and will consider removing more links later.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to move the search bar. I would if I could.
    However, I have reduced the size of the "quick nav" bar a fair amount, and will consider removing more links later.
    I think you're confused, we need links adding not removing. >.>
    ISNM / ENM prz
    Also I notice on the JP version of the Wiki that the search bar is much closer to the top. Which, at a guess, is because you only have the Navigation/??????? menu on the JP Wiki, where as on the English version you have Navigation, Database, Events, & Miscellaneous; which pushes the search bar down. Underneath Search you also have Toolbox menu, I'm guessing it's reasonably easy to add new menus and such on the side, can you move Database, Events, & Miscellaneous, to occur before Toolbox?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What is the purpose of the front page if everyone wants every single link on every page?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    What is the purpose of the front page if everyone wants every single link on every page?
    I don’t believe anyone has written that they want every single link on every single page. Instead what has been requested, is that the search bar is moved as it’s currently very low (a fairly reasonable request, I’m sure you’ll agree); and that instead of not including ENM and ISNM for what ever grand reason there is behind that, that they are included, (again not completely unreasonable).
    You yourself even agreed that you would change it… is there any particular reason why your stance has now changed?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I don’t believe anyone has written that they want every single link on every single page. Instead what has been requested, is that the search bar is moved as it’s currently very low (a fairly reasonable request, I’m sure you’ll agree); and that instead of not including ENM and ISNM for what ever grand reason there is behind that, that they are included, (again not completely unreasonable).
    You yourself even agreed that you would change it… is there any particular reason why your stance has now changed?
    Because of the monstrosity that we had for our side bar that pushed the search box off of the page on my super-huge monitor. The side bar should just be a quick listing of the super-categories. I intentionally made a very detailed listing for the quick nav section on the front page so that people could access the most pertinent information almost instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    I think you're confused, we need links adding not removing. >.>
    ISNM / ENM prz
    Also I notice on the JP version of the Wiki that the search bar is much closer to the top. Which, at a guess, is because you only have the Navigation/??????? menu on the JP Wiki, where as on the English version you have Navigation, Database, Events, & Miscellaneous; which pushes the search bar down. Underneath Search you also have Toolbox menu, I'm guessing it's reasonably easy to add new menus and such on the side, can you move Database, Events, & Miscellaneous, to occur before Toolbox?
    No, we need links removing, seeing as like 30 people have mentioned how inconvenient it is that the search box is like 1500px down the page.

No, we can't move Database, Events & Miscellaneous to where Toolbox is. Skin issue, I couldn't find a way to work around it. You are now at most 2 clicks away from ISNMs no matter where you are (Battlefields->ISNM) and you're going to have to live with that.

Banned.

BG Level

Actually, with Navigation on frontpage, you are two clicks away from almost any link .

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I mentioned this in another post, but unfortunately, without some server side reworkings of the CSS file which handles that whole situation on the navigation bar, the search bar will always fall immediately after all of the other stuff. Unless its edited manually (as in, not through the wiki itself), there is no way to force it to move up the page. I've been poking through other sites using MediaWiki and looking up guides myself, and it seems no one has an issue with it... I guess we just have too much stuff in the navigation bar.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

we do yeah. lol

I'm sure there's a section in the css describing the placement of the various boxes; a copy/paste positioning change would probably be sufficient.

if you want to toss me the c.s.s for the front page layout via pm, I can take a look at it this weekend probably and maybe find a 'fast' fix.