Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: White Mage Guide, Zero     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Re: White Mage Guide, Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofshade
    At least you figured out that Shellra 5 is a shitload better than 4. Barspell merits... Yeah, these are a must. Magical dmg, which seems to be a HUGE amount of the dmg tanks take (kited kirin, wyrms when they fly, fafnir's wings, etcetcetc). Tanks are all more than able to mitigate/ignore physical dmg, but magical dmg more often than not goes through shadows/wipes them. In a merit pt (if there even IS a whm) your merits really don't mean much of anything. A decent WHM with no merits can be 100% as effective in a merit pt, as one that is fully merited (for the most part). A little slower on the cures, not as good a regen, people take a little more dmg... but really, not that big a deal. Merits for WHM revolve almost entirely around endgame.
    I belive that the armor I wear is enough of a bonus to Barspells than putting some merits into them. The Relic legs alone are a bonus 20 (or 22) and the body gives I belive another 20.
    Meleeing absolutely never, cept skill up and the super duper rare mement when you have 15 people and 5 whms, u can whip out ur club.
    Maybe not in endgame, but I EXP that way. I'm still working on my endgame section of the guide.
    pulling is a hell no, always.
    I am incredibly guilty of pulling merit parties with Red Mages involved simply to keep it flowing.
    anything but /blm for 90% of endgame is stupid, all merit pts should be /blm, unless ur meleeing, which you'll never ever do, unless in a whm whm whm whm brd brd KRT party. and while fun, not that great exp wise.
    Yeah. /SMN for the win.
    Enfeebling with a NIN, or RDM in the party is stupid, always.
    Needs an edit.
    Banish is nearly 100% useless. It's great for Holy kill SSs of HNMs, just to make fun of the BLMs and Melees, and casting Banish 3/4 on Ghosts in KRT for a MNK burn.
    Didn't I just go over that? Not to mention we don't even get Banish IV.
    How the hell do you not cure very much? I have 3 merits in regen, so you at most have 2 more hp a tick than me. I've never been able to get away with just regening almost anyone. Ever. People take dmg, unless you're in one of those fantastic 5k/hr pts, then I can see that working for like... Melees. Sometimes.
    I have 5 more than you. Cleric's Body. But it's to the effect of using Regen can avoid cures. Someone gets yellow, slap the Regen III on, let it simmer and they're back in the white. No big deal. There is the occassion of what like to call "triplespit" (which is a mob strips all shadows then uses a nasty TP move) and cures are used then. I need to reword that line anyway.
    Avoid Bene at all cost? ....wut? Just a tick... you want people to avoid this spell that's every -na spell, erase, and full hp in an aoe... cuz it gets a little hate? Yes, a LITTLE hate? I haven't been 75 for much more than a year, but you name it, I've main healed it, so I have experience. And, in all honesty, when Tiamat drops a wing then touchdown, people are gonna be hurt, you act FAST or you die... Benediction is instant, and quite honestly doesn't pull much in the way of hate post 60.
    I haven't used benediction in a while, but everytime I do I usualy end up dying.

You encourage people to use Seawolf/Searobber Cudgels... Inexcuseable. Morgenstern/Purgatory is the best combo I've found.
    Ever seen a Perdu Wand?

Yigit Turban for casting? Walahra is all that and a bag of chips, Yigit ONLY good for the hMP, which it can be macroed for. Zenith crown is only for max mp, not actually useing.
    Fixed.
    No where do you mention Crow/Raven gear.
    I didn't use any of it. I didn't find it that useful or nessisary.
    You never mention Tamas Ring, Magnetic Earring, Ether Ring, or Hedgehog Bomb.
    I do now. (Some of it) I haven't really completed the earring set yet though because I'm still trying to decide what's best.
    Melee WHM: Revolves around the same 2 things every other job revolves around when it engages... acc and haste when TPing, Weapon Modifiers/acc/str for WS. Dex when TPing for staff only.
    Reworded it.

Evelyn: I read that and ignored it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Serenity
    I belive that the armor I wear is enough of a bonus to Barspells than putting some merits into them. The Relic legs alone are a bonus 20 (or 22) and the body gives I belive another 20.
    Blessed Briault adds MDB+5 to the bar-element you cast, no additional elemental resistance. Maxed bar-element merits aren't only +10 elemental resistance increase. They also add MDB+10 to the element cast which the main point of putting merits into that category in the first place. That's why your tanks are (or should be) paying 1+ mil for those Lamian Kaman +1s, and that's only MDB+2.

I have 3 merits in regen, so you at most have 2 more hp a tick than me.
    I have 5 more than you. Cleric's Body.
    For the record, Cleric's Briault's effectiveness scales depending on the regen spell. It adds +X HP per tick for Regen X. It also shouldn't be used in your regen argument since it should be assumed both of you are using it for regen. So for comparing your Regen III vs Masterofshade's, his will be 26 HP/tick and yours will be 28. I do not have regen merits, so mine will be 23 HP/tick. What's the difference in total HP regen? It's 460 > 520 > 560 HP recovered in 1 minute, or less than a singe 24 MP Cure II between unmerited and fully merited. Remember, you're not arguing for the usefulness of the spell, you're arguing for the usefulness of the merits. An additional 10 elemental resist and 10 MDB that has it's usefulness multiplied out over every single magic attack inflicted on everyone in the range of your bar-spell over the 2.5 minute duration will prove much more effective than 100 more HP regen on a single person over the course of a minute.

Meleeing absolutely never, cept skill up and the super duper rare mement when you have 15 people and 5 whms, u can whip out ur club.
    Maybe not in endgame, but I EXP that way.
    The only time I've ever been able to melee in EXP on WHM was when we had a WHM RDM BRD back line on Greater Colibri and there just wasn't much curing needed. Even then it was an LS party and we weren't really taking it seriously. Given any other situation I'm far too busy curing, keeping up hastes, barspells, buffs, dia, and my MP levels to even think about meleeing.

Someone gets yellow, slap the Regen III on, let it simmer and they're back in the white. No big deal.
    Try that on Jailer of Prudence (or any other HNM for that matter) and you'll end up with a dead tank. Even meriting on mamools, one Rushing * / Vorpal Blade at yellow HP and your melee could be dead. Regen can be nice when in white HP > 75% < 100%, but it shouldn't be used as a crutch.

I am incredibly guilty of pulling merit parties with Red Mages involved simply to keep it flowing.
    So what is your BRD doing then? No BRD? What are your melee doing just sitting around? Until WHM gets Convert (not going to happen) you should be resting MP every spare moment you have. If you're pulling and meleeing you're not keeping up your MP. If you're not keeping up your MP then you're not going to be able to do your job.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

At least you figured out that Shellra 5 is a shitload better than 4. Barspell merits... Yeah, these are a must. Magical dmg, which seems to be a HUGE amount of the dmg tanks take (kited kirin, wyrms when they fly, fafnir's wings, etcetcetc). Tanks are all more than able to mitigate/ignore physical dmg, but magical dmg more often than not goes through shadows/wipes them. In a merit pt (if there even IS a whm) your merits really don't mean much of anything. A decent WHM with no merits can be 100% as effective in a merit pt, as one that is fully merited (for the most part). A little slower on the cures, not as good a regen, people take a little more dmg... but really, not that big a deal. Merits for WHM revolve almost entirely around endgame.
    Just have to give this comment a look.

The Barspell merits also add MDB to the matching element similar to the Blessed Briault (which you mistakenly listed as adding an additional 20 resistance to a Barspell). Its for this reason alone that maxing Barspell merits is worth it.

I would also say a WHM better fully merit Cure Cast Time as well. Your Cure 5 landing before my Cure 4 (as an RDM, I cast Cures on instinct) is a good thing for not only my own hate gain, but it makes it easier for your tank to hold hate.

What I don't understand is why someone would write a guide, and tout it no less, when they don't understand the stats or functions of particularly important gear or abilities. If you want a good idea of how a guide should be written, check out my own.

Banned.

BG Level

Jeryhn I would love to see a version of that on our wiki!

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Considering it, but I still have to read up on the BG templates and whatnot.
    Otherwise I might get into one of my "creative moods".

It would definitely be uploaded as a guide as opposed to job ability stuff.

Zero--

I argued with you before back on ffxiclopedia because you said some stupid things about white mage. Repeatedly.

And I don't feel like reiterating myself.

The Veriest Berriest
    Pretty Pretty Princess

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ok, seriously this shit has to stop. Yes we will not be taking "shitty" guides as a means of the OFFICIAL endgame guides. However, people's personal experiences for guides are fine as long as they are labeled as such. We will be making a BG seal to attach to whichever guide is agreed upon by the people of the forums, but below that is where guides for things such as whm melee and whatever else people have experimented with, belongs. Just because you don't think it's a good idea doesn't mean it's not something that can be done in someone's spare time. This is a game, and if someone wants to do other things with the jobs they have leveled, outside of endgaming events, it's not your place to tell them how to do it.

Zero: Just please make sure you put on the title, or beginning of your guide that it's a personal guide and you are sharing your findings for other peoples curiosity.

The rest of you: We will let you know about official guides that are BG sanctioned later on when the BGWiki staff finishes discussing how to handle it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Nikkei: Thanks for the "Divine Intervention."

Quote Originally Posted by The top of the guide
    This article is a guide. Guides are works of opinion. The editing of guides should only be done to increase readability or formatting; the opinion should remain the same. If major changes are required, consider contacting the guide author.
    That being said I'd like to make this better and possibly defacto someday (key word). I have taken critizim to whatever length it needs to be taken to, as you can see, based on some things that have been said by MoS I have made changes and/or defended my position. Don't think I just flat out ignore everything that's been said. Instaid of attacking me, please try to give more insight into parts of the job I may be mistaken about. A shitty guide (as you put it) will remain that way unless something is done about it. I'm trying my damnedest to make this better and more "do this, don't do this, I did this, this doesn't work, etc." Granted, as this stands anyway, the endgame section of the guide is missing entirely because I haven't finished writing it yet. That being said, if there are any comments, things you think should be included in it or whatever, post it here, send me a PM, whatever. I want feedback, not insults. I would also suggest that if you're going to say something to me, try to be as completely straightforward as possible which includes, but not limited to, proper sentence structure, lack of BG jokes (going for being accurate, not funny), heavy explainations and experiences that you have. I'm trying to get as much of "this happened and this works for me (or not)" rather than "I read this on some page and ...".

I made a couple minor changes to the layout again. Mostly took the guide and broke it down a bit with some subpages to give it a cleaner look.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Another correction for you: Haste spell is 15%, not 10%.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I've heard just about everything when it comes to that spell. Is there any concrete word? I mean, I've heard everything from 10%-25% and don't excactly have the tools to excactly determine it myself. Also, I could use a little extra explaination into how it affects spell recast as well as melee speed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Try casting reraise, the recast for it should be 1 minute. Now cast haste on yourself, then cast reraise again. If it's really 15%, reraise recast should be down to about 51 seconds on the dot.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It's been confirmed many times over. The White Mage/Red Mage Haste spell (simply referred to as Haste from now on, all other haste effects referred to as delay reductions or haste effects) grants a 15% melee delay reduction as well as a 15% spell recast deduction. This can be verified easily by casting Reraise naked with no Haste spell (1 minute recast), and again with Haste (51 second recast). These times can be confirmed with judicious use of the /recast command.

The same applies to melee delay, though testing isn't as straightforward since you have no command equivalent to /recast for melee swings. Weapon delay can be converted into seconds by dividing the delay by 60. For example, a 492 delay weapon will swing once every 8.2 seconds assuming no spell casting, job ability, or weapon skill interrupts that cycle. With Haste, the delay becomes 418, or a swing every 7 seconds.

[edit]
    Some variants on Haste:
    - Advancing March: Bard song. Caps at 9% delay reductions (18% with Soul Voice).
    - Victory March: Bard song. Caps at 11% delay reductions (22% with Soul Voice).
    - Hastega: Summoner Bloodpact: Ward from Garuda. Still grants 15% delay reductions, but initially has a 1:30 duration. This can be raised to 3 minutes given enough summoning skill gear/merits.
    - Refueling: Blue Mage spell learned from Clusters. Grants 10% delay reductions, but lasts for 5 minutes.
    - Hasso: Samurai job ability. 10% melee delay reduction, but 50% increase in spellcasting time/delay. Does not apply towards caps.
    - Desperate Blows: Dark Knight merited job trait. 5% two-handed weapon delay reduction per merit while Last Resort is in effect. Maximum of 15% delay reduction. Does not affect spell recast delay. Does not apply towards caps.
    - Spirit Surge: Dragoon 2-hour ability. Among other bonuses, grants the Dragoon 25% delay reductions. This applies towards the magical cap.
    - Dual Wield: Ninja job trait. Reduces the delay of weapons when two 1-handed weapons are equipped. Trait ranges from 10% reduction at level 10 to 30% at level 60, and can be further augmented through gear. The reduction applies before TP return is calculated. Does not affect spell recast delay. Does not apply towards caps.
    - Sword Strap: Sub-slot equipment for use with 2-handed weapons. Reduces weapon delay by 3%. The reduction applies before TP return is calculated. Does not affect spell recast delay. Does not apply towards caps.
    - Various equipment: Many pieces of gear can grant haste effects ranging from 1-6%. There are even some pieces of gear (namely the Hecatomb set) that inflict a slow effect (negative haste). Affects both melee and spell recast delays. Applies towards the gear cap.
    - Snapshot: Ranger merited job trait. 2% ranged attack delay reduction per merit. Maximum of 6% reduction. Jalzahn's Ring also grants this trait (reduction amount unconfirmed). Does not affect spell recast delay. Does not apply towards caps.

Regarding TP returns:
    Haste effects will not affect the amount of TP returned by a weapon. However, Dual Wield and Sword Strap modify the actual delay of the weapon before TP is calculated so the TP return is based on the reduced delay giving a lower TP return.

Regarding caps:
    There is a magical haste cap (spells/songs/Spirit Surge) of 43.3%. The gear cap is 25%. This makes for a combined total of 68.3%. The only way to exceed this as of now is with Hasso and Desperate blows for a current maximum of 93.3%.

Regarding ranged attacks:
    Haste effects do not affect the delay between ranged attacks. This can only be reduced through the Snapshot job trait.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Okay, I'll spin it when I'm done with Puppetmaster.
    <.<

>.>

Please don't kill me...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

<Double Post>
    Yeah, you're right. It is closer to 15%, give or take 1% or so.

On that note: My new crowning achivement has just been done. Time to get busy with other things now.

http://www.zeroserenity.com/images/F...0Completed.jpg

(If you can't tell, it's that all 18 jobs are 37+)

Banned.

BG Level

Congrats on 37 on all jobs, but about your guide. It's obvious you are not the best fit for writing a guide, especially since you seem to have a lot to learn about the job. You said you will make improvements to your guide. Many WHMs seemed displeased with your efforts, I would suggest working harder(unless you enjoy being a target of flames).

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

BRP:
    read this viewtopic.php?p=757974#p757974
    then read it again
    then edit your post, because when Nikkei gets back and its still intact, she is going to kill you

Banned.

BG Level

Oh boy, fine

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

First things first BRP, its a personal guide, her numbers might need fixing but her opinions are fine, we will have votes by the members on our official type guides, but personal guides for personal experiences are requested and welcome.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    First things first BRP, its a personal guide, his numbers might need fixing but his opinions are fine, we will have votes by the members on our official type guides, but personal guides for personal experiences are requested and welcome.
    Fixed.

Banned.

BG Level

I understand it's untouchable and I don't plan on touching it. Doesn't mean I have to like what it says ;/. I can only hope Zero improves it to the point that it does not cause controversy, then everyone goes home happy.