Thread: Random fps drop in ffxi     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Silvermoon

Random fps drop in ffxi

every 2 or 3 minutes my fps will drop to 2 or 3 in any zone or area of ffxi, crowded or not. Just as randomly after a minute or so it will return to normal (29). Does not seem to be based on bard songs, or spells. I can be at 29 in whitegate and then warp and drop to 3 with only 2 people nearby. I'm on a laptop with some kinda fairly fast dual core processors, ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card and somewhat shaky wireless connection (but connection strength seems unrelated to slowdown). I run max settings available in the config program but no registry edits to improve further.

halp plz. do not want any more slowdown.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Re: Random fps drop in ffxi

your computer running other apps in the background?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I had the same problem, it was the wireless. I got a 50 ft cat5e and just strung it across the apartment to have a wired connection instead and the problem went away.

When you use the internet you don't really see it, but wireless doesn't stream like a wired connection does, packets come in bursts for however long the interval is, and between bursts things that constantly require connection appear to lag for a couple seconds, then everything will snap back into place, like a dc'ing for 1 second. I haven't tested if any of the new wireless stuff is any better, but a linksys 54g router, with a linksys 54g card would do this constantly.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Silvermoon

I was running firefox in the background at first but the lag pissed me off so I shut off everything but ffxi. Looks like the wireless was the problem... it's got much worse today. Time to get an ethernet cable...