Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 470 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Re: Fishing

Finally caught a Gugrusarus on the pirate ride.... They very in strength for sure. I never said you could not land them without mooching, I said consistently getting them to 0% is easy with mooching. The only people I know that land them on the alzhabi boats used mooching to do it. Seeing as you don't have to wait for pirates with mooching to reel them in, (given you have rare/ex bait, I currently have a stack) makes it much faster. Take the later levels (when going to 100) to skill up on the ferry and get sea zombies at the same time. That is my plan anyway. 45k GP so far toward mooching. If I finish the rod before I get the gp I can always get a furnishing.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

So apparently you cant make accounts on http://www.titanictus.com/.

So I cant post some information I found out about fish in the expansion.

Saw an JP with Ebisu fishing for Sea Zombies, examined her bazaar and saw a new fish.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2755/matsyaos9.png

in before poor, its a mule that holds all my fish, I fish on ps2 : )

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/341/convowm9.png

So thats where you fish it up (I figured since it is from the ocean)

But look at the size of it, and prolly requires mooching to catch.... hmm interesting at least.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Regardless of what you said, mooching is not the way to go. Let me lay down a couple numbers.

Pirate attacks are relatively rare and unpredictable. You can go a full 24 hours without seeing one, and you can get 2 back to back. Add to that the fact that there are 2 ferries, so while riding one you could be missing a pirate attack on the other. Let's assume for sake of argument that pirates attack every 6 rides consistently. The real frequency is much much lower than this.

Let's also assume that you can consistently catch 6 Sea Zombies per pirate ride.

Now, there are 3 ferry rides per hour, so with those extremely favorable numbers you will get 6 Sea Zombies per 2 hours of camping the ferry.

Let's assume the drop rate of Drill Calamary from Zaldon is 1/3 (The true number is closer to 1/4 or 1/5). This means that for those 6 zombies that took 2 hours to get, you will get 2 Drill Calamary. So we have an overall average of 1 Drill Calamary per hour.

Now, you fish for 12 hours and get your stack and then go to the Al Zhabi ferry and try your luck. Well guess what? Those Drill Calamary don't isolate Gugrusaurs. They will snag on smaller fish and items. You'll be lucky to land 3 Gugrus on a whole stack. Oh yeah, and Mooching + Drill Calamary still gives you losses due to line snaps and rod breaks.

So with favorable numbers and luck, you could expect an overall average of 1 Gugrusaur per 4 hours of work. Note that this work is only the preparation work, doesn't even count the time you use for actually fishing the Gugrus. It's so small in comparison I didn't even think to include it.

If you look through Titanictus.com's Ebisu Hall of Fame you will see wildly varying numbers for Gugrusaurs needed before the item drops. The average is 252 with the lowest being 8 and the most being 1046. If you take the average with the numbers provided above, then you can assume it will take you 1000 hours of gathering RX bait before you get the drop. Tack on another 100 hours or so for the actual Gugru fishing.

Now, if you ignore mooching, what does the time frame look like? You can basically camp the Al Zhabi ferry 24/7 with the chance of getting Gugrus. You need to get both rings, but the time it takes to do that is chump change in comparison to the time it takes to gather Drill Calamary. Assuming you can hook 5 per ferry ride, then to match mooching, all you need to do is to successfully reel in 1 out of 60 of those hooks. If you reel in more than that, then you're going faster.

Why do you think every ebisu fisher switched from Drill Calamary to meatballs + rings + Al Zhabi ferry the instant this was discovered?

If you still stubbornly persist in going the mooching route, then all power to you, have fun. I'm merely trying to save people's time.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

That's a big fish O.o

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Well let's take a look at old wiki: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Fishing it's just got a massive table with all the fish. Things it doesn't tell you are max/min length/weights, what the lowest level you can be to reliably fish them in is, guild point value,
    ideal locations/bait/rod to fish with (could mark with a *), if they stack, picture icon of the fish, and how many !s you get with them.
    I think we could just do it in a table:
    icon :: name :: (min/max) level :: ! :: stack :: (each/cap) GP :: (min/max) weight :: (min/max) length :: localtions :: baits :: rods [B] for breaks :: notes

Here's the current BG wiki: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Fishing (I might try an add a template table while I'm LFP lol.)
    We could probably get all the icons via dat mining.
    Sounds good One thing that would help people a lot, and that most sites don't list, is the best place/rod/bait to catch a fish. It's to me one of the best informations you can get about a fish when you want to reliably skillup on it. Of course it's a very debatable thing, since not everybody will have the same success with the same setup (not everybody has Lu Shang or Ebisu for example), but then giving a couple good setups for each fish can be good enough.

I'm not too experienced with the wiki yet, but I'll gladly contribute with the inforrmations I have and will gather in the future.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Well let's take a look at old wiki: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Fishing it's just got a massive table with all the fish. Things it doesn't tell you are max/min length/weights, what the lowest level you can be to reliably fish them in is, guild point value,
    ideal locations/bait/rod to fish with (could mark with a *), if they stack, picture icon of the fish, and how many !s you get with them.
    I think we could just do it in a table:
    icon :: name :: (min/max) level :: ! :: stack :: (each/cap) GP :: (min/max) weight :: (min/max) length :: localtions :: baits :: rods [B] for breaks :: notes

Here's the current BG wiki: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Fishing (I might try an add a template table while I'm LFP lol.)
    We could probably get all the icons via dat mining.
    Sounds good :) One thing that would help people a lot, and that most sites don't list, is the best place/rod/bait to catch a fish. It's to me one of the best informations you can get about a fish when you want to reliably skillup on it. Of course it's a very debatable thing, since not everybody will have the same success with the same setup (not everybody has Lu Shang or Ebisu for example), but then giving a couple good setups for each fish can be good enough.

I'm not too experienced with the wiki yet, but I'll gladly contribute with the inforrmations I have and will gather in the future.
    Ok I've made a template table for us to use. Check the bottom of this page: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Fishing
    Setup an account on gbwiki and log in, then click the [edit] for the "Fish" section with the table that I did.
    You'll see some code like this:
    Code:
    {| border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width=100% 
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Icon
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Name
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Level
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Stack
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| GP
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Weight
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Length
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Location
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Rod
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Bait
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Notes
    |-

|?
    |?
    |?/?
    |?
    |?/?
    |?/?
    |?/?
    |?
    |?
    |?
    |?

|-

|}
    |- is the start of a row
    | is each cell in that row
    |- is the end of that row and the start of the new one.

So you can make more entries by just doing:

Code:
    {| border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width=100% 
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Icon
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Name
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Level
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Stack
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| GP
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Weight
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Length
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Location
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Rod
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Bait
    ! style="background:#cee0f2; padding:0.3em; text-align:center;"| Notes
    |-

|?
    |?
    |?/?
    |?
    |?/?
    |?/?
    |?/?
    |?
    |?
    |?
    |?

|-

|?
    |?
    |?/?
    |?
    |?/?
    |?/?
    |?/?
    |?
    |?
    |?
    |?

|-

|}
    And filling in all the ?s. I'm going to start doing some between faf windows. It would be cool if everyone could add some in.

Thanks! :D

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freysi
    Regardless of what you said, mooching is not the way to go. Let me lay down a couple numbers.

Pirate attacks are relatively rare and unpredictable. You can go a full 24 hours without seeing one, and you can get 2 back to back. Add to that the fact that there are 2 ferries, so while riding one you could be missing a pirate attack on the other. Let's assume for sake of argument that pirates attack every 6 rides consistently. The real frequency is much much lower than this.

Let's also assume that you can consistently catch 6 Sea Zombies per pirate ride.

Now, there are 3 ferry rides per hour, so with those extremely favorable numbers you will get 6 Sea Zombies per 2 hours of camping the ferry.

Let's assume the drop rate of Drill Calamary from Zaldon is 1/3 (The true number is closer to 1/4 or 1/5). This means that for those 6 zombies that took 2 hours to get, you will get 2 Drill Calamary. So we have an overall average of 1 Drill Calamary per hour.

Now, you fish for 12 hours and get your stack and then go to the Al Zhabi ferry and try your luck. Well guess what? Those Drill Calamary don't isolate Gugrusaurs. They will snag on smaller fish and items. You'll be lucky to land 3 Gugrus on a whole stack. Oh yeah, and Mooching + Drill Calamary still gives you losses due to line snaps and rod breaks.

So with favorable numbers and luck, you could expect an overall average of 1 Gugrusaur per 4 hours of work. Note that this work is only the preparation work, doesn't even count the time you use for actually fishing the Gugrus. It's so small in comparison I didn't even think to include it.

If you look through Titanictus.com's Ebisu Hall of Fame you will see wildly varying numbers for Gugrusaurs needed before the item drops. The average is 252 with the lowest being 8 and the most being 1046. If you take the average with the numbers provided above, then you can assume it will take you 1000 hours of gathering RX bait before you get the drop. Tack on another 100 hours or so for the actual Gugru fishing.

Now, if you ignore mooching, what does the time frame look like? You can basically camp the Al Zhabi ferry 24/7 with the chance of getting Gugrus. You need to get both rings, but the time it takes to do that is chump change in comparison to the time it takes to gather Drill Calamary. Assuming you can hook 5 per ferry ride, then to match mooching, all you need to do is to successfully reel in 1 out of 60 of those hooks. If you reel in more than that, then you're going faster.

Why do you think every ebisu fisher switched from Drill Calamary to meatballs + rings + Al Zhabi ferry the instant this was discovered?

If you still stubbornly persist in going the mooching route, then all power to you, have fun. I'm merely trying to save people's time.
    Like I said I almost have 2 stacks after going tonight. Thats half a stack of drills in about 3-4hours on the boat with .4 skill and I also caught 1 Gugrusaurus in the process. It is just a bonus. Even if you fish on the pirate boat (which alot of people still do, I see people catching gugru there when i'm fishing) I also ride the alzhabi boats where there is no one fishing at all let alone riding the boat. The people that do fish are fishing the orobon nm's up. The was I see it i'm killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Before you tell me omg people ride the alzhabi boat with both rings its so much better, fucking go try it lol. I tried 4 rides 0 Gugrusaurus => 0%. I got 4 or so => 0% (1 catch 2 rod breaks and 1 line break) on the pirate boat and got about half a stack of drills, which I will be able to use to catch even more later. All the people i've talked to about mooching (2 which have ebisu btw) tell me its worth the effort to get. I do pirate charts, and brig charts every few days. Those also give bait for this about 1/4 runs or so. If you think spending 115k GP is a waste of time fine? I spent about a week on GP and got about 45k. If spending 2-3 weeks on GP is a waste, I guess getting a skill up ring is a waste too since that conquest can take 2-3 rounds to get a ring meaning 4-12 weeks. Personally its not a waste of time if you have TRIED on the damn boat and cant catch them anyway. Unless you are going to ride the pirate ferry canceling all !!! that dont FEEL like gugru or vendoring the sea zombies you do catch.

Personally to each their own. I skill up on the ferry, so its not a waste of my time. I make gil by turning in pirate charts off the ferry and got .4 off ryugu bites in the process. Each person can take their own route.

This morning alone I went 6/16 on drill's, on 3 pirate boats.

Do what you want, feel free to post when you complete your ebisu, or when you catch your first alzhabi Gugrusaurus, I personally have tried and failed on 4 boats.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Maybe I'm blind, but where on finalfishing does it have information about past Fishing competitions? On titan it's smallest length Giant Donko, so I'm trying to figure out what a good "small" donko would be.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic
    Maybe I'm blind, but where on finalfishing does it have information about past Fishing competitions? On titan it's smallest length Giant Donko, so I'm trying to figure out what a good "small" donko would be.
    That wouldn't be a problem if people started filling out the new Fishing section on bgwiki! :D

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Do what you want, feel free to post when you complete your ebisu, or when you catch your first alzhabi Gugrusaurus, I personally have tried and failed on 4 boats.
    Whatever dude. I'm just trying to pass on the collective experience of everyone who has ever posted about ebisu on titanictus.com. Just because I don't have it myself, doesn't mean I can't discuss it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Play nice in my thread or I'll put you both on the naughty step!

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Just for the hell of it i'll quote a few things from Titanictus

Rydz

You probably already know this, but if you manage to track down some of the EX bait, and get the key item Mooching, Gugrusaurus becomes very very easy to reel in without rings. Of course, my fishing is still 53, so I'm just going by what I've read. AND of course, that EX bait is not exactly easy to come by, but... it's another option, if you can't catch gugrus with meatballs at all. Good luck!

Prodigy

Yea im 90.9+5 skill atm. Have mooching and the 2 rings. ToAu gugrus lowest i can currently get em is 40%ish. Whenever rod straightens they regen back too fast and god forbid u press wrong way else it will be over. Thought it would be easier with mooching.

Serverserfer

Mooching only helps with the Drill Calamary and Dwarf Pugils. Mooching + Drill Calamary makes Gugrusaurus pretty easy to wear out on the Ferry to Al Zahbi, no rings required.

FFXIGuest

Oh dear Sad I too have this serious problem. I can't even catch the Gugrusauruses on the Selbina ferry! Both rings active... using Lu rod and Meatballs. I have all the level 1 Fishing gears equipped plus Waders. (That's +5 right there) and I also have "The Big One" furnishing in my Mog House giving me Moghancement: Fishing. I'm also level 94.7 Fishing. And these Gugrus behave exactly like the ones on the Al'Zhabi ferry. There seems to be no difference. I can get the stamina to drop OK but I still run out of time at about 30%. That's just not even close.

What the hell is happening?! The reason I thought they were easier on the Selbina ferry was because I was using Clothespole at the time. Clothespole is much better at reducing stamina than Lu Shangs.... but of course I will never get a Gugrusaurus out of the water with that!

I always believed that the Albatross ring and the Penguin ring were an alternative method to getting these fish as opposed to getting Mooching and Dwarf Pugils. But they just aren't doing the job for me at all. I just hope and prey this isn't the PC onry problem with PS2 users getting it easy. Because that will mean I'm totally screwed, and all the time and effort I've put in so far going to waste.

If I still need Mooching plus Dwarf Pugils to get the stamina down on these fish, then what is the point of the fishing rings?! At the moment they are useless for me. At least the OP can drain the ones on the Pirate rides. I can't even do that!

----------------

Thread
    http://www.titanictus.com/viewtopic.php ... ugrusaurus

FFXI Guest

I'm having the exact same problem. I tried with both rings active on the AlZhabi ferry last night and got 4 Gugrusaurus bites with Meatballs. Best I managed was getting one to aboput 30% stamina. That's not even close really. I didn't waste any more charges of my rings trying again. I went back to the Selbina ferry as I hear they are much easier there. But of course I need Pirate attacks and I never got any before I had to go to bed. Crying or Very sad

I'm starting to think that SE decided that Mooching was necessary to get the ever-present ones on the Al'Zhabi ferry. Nobody ever gets Mooching any more since it was discovered that Meatballs hook the Gugrusaurus. Then again if that is the case I still have to collect Dwarf Pugils from Sea Zombies. Which means waiting on Pirate attacks on the Selbina ferry! It's a vicious circle.

Only way I think is to start collecting guild points while fishing the Selbina ferry. If you collect points every day then it should take about 4 to 5 weeks to get the 115K needed. In that time you would have already caught some Gugrusauruses from the Pirate attacks and also collected some Dwarf Pugils. How much of this bait you would collect I have no idea. It may seem like total overkill to hand over 115K guild points if you only have about 30 or 40 baits. But this path seems to me to be the logical way, even if it looks like madness. Confused

Gratz on the Ebisu rod by the way!!! Laughing I was kinda posting this for discussion purposes. I hope I have the same luck you did. 1/8 for Sabre Shoot is simply awesome.

Thread

Like I said, do what you want with your time.

Jei

Trying to help a friend on his ebisu quest... so he got me 3 Albatross rings.

I'm still able to fight Lik down with Albatross rings. But having major problem with Gugrusaurus now >.> I can fight only about 1/3 or 1/4 of the bites.... and those that I was able to reel in, I mean, i don't even have time to completely drain their stamina >.>
    I got them down to 10% or so and just had to try reel them or the time will be over.

This is interesting.... maybe I'll need to spend some time to get penguin rings too just for this.

I know a person who was able to reel them in with ease using only Albatross ring. But the interesting part is that, he said he had mooching too. So maybe it helps? Just interesting.

Thread

New Merits
    BG Level

of course mooching helps i think the main argument is that in the time it takes to get mooching probably at least 4-5 weeks you could arguably have caught enuff gugru's to get lucky

i have a buddy who does not have mooching and is doing alzabi gugru with both rings and isnt having as hard of a time as some of the people ive heard about

New Merits
    BG Level

just tried my first gugru's on silverseas, got 3 bites and 3 catches with only ablatross

will have to increase my sample size to see how many rod breaks i get

edit: lvl96

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

I was posting my experience at 81 skill, so I guess i'll go it 90+ and try it again. And it really doesnt take 4-5 weeks to get 115k GP unless you are retarded or something ;x I got 45k in 1 week so far ;x

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Yeah Gugru aren't too bad. I've noticed an increase in break/line snap since the update a few weeks ago. I might just be crazy but It seems I only catch 1/4 of them due to line snap and break, which is a bitch. I'm 100+5 fishing and every little bit of skill seems to help with them. Lik are a lot easier to fish, I can catch them with just Albatross ring. I leveled from 95-100 off of Takitaro in MC. They are a hard fight, but good skill and good training for doing these legendary fish. I don't really notice much of a difference in the Gugru from the silver seas and on pirate ship other then the ones on silver seas seem to break my rod more often, but still worth my time. I don't like waiting for pirates to catch them

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    I was posting my experience at 81 skill, so I guess i'll go it 90+ and try it again. And it really doesnt take 4-5 weeks to get 115k GP unless you are retarded or something ;x I got 45k in 1 week so far ;x
    even if you get a string of 7 GP items in a row all being at the top of the point level (5500+) thats only 38500 in a week, dont forget all of those crappy days with 45 greedie for 1700 points or 30 cheval salamon for 2000

ill break down my estimate to more like 3-4 weeks if you get a really nice lucky string of high point value guild items

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Tried alzhabi again for shits, basically felt like a mola-mola when I tried to reel it in ;; Guess i'm SOL till I hit 90+

I did have quite a few bites.

Every time the rod went strait any progress I had, went back to full hp. Even if I wasn't pushing a direction on the controller. Guess i'll just focus on liks for now.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Not sure if this is really a good place for this or not, but I am kinda a fishing noob and didn't wanna start a new thread over this topic. If I am going after Rusty picks and Rusty caps is there a required skill, rod, and bait that will help me single out these? (Currently I am only level 11 fishing)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

There's no skill involved when fishing items. I can't say much about the bait though :/

Not really on topic, but if you want rusty stuff to skill up smithing, it will probably be faster to target a real fish (moat carps come to mind), sell it all, and buy your rusty stuff from AH.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Well, I've found that when I've been fishing in an area for a very long time without zoning, I catch almost only Rusty gear. That happens to me almost every time I go to Talacca Cove, after a few hours of fishing 90% of the stuff I reel in is a Rusty item. That might be good if that's what you're trying to get, although it is a lot of time before you get to that point... It may also be possible to just afk for that amount of time, but I'm not really sure.