BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Re: Fishing

You can single out Pterygotus with Lugworm.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic
    You can single out Pterygotus with Lugworm.
    Too bad theres no reports of what the actual cap on the fish is =/

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Doesn't mean its right. Final fishing listed wrong bait and the same skill cap. A few people said they didn't get skill in like 16 catches but it doesn't really mean anything. I'm gonna do more conventional ways that are confirmed 100 ;x

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Caught 15 Pterygotus prior to Einherjar today and no skillups @86. Doesn't mean much given the rate at which you get skill with fishing, obviously. In my experience, I would expect Pterygotus to fight harder than it does given it is supposedly a level 99 large fish, though.

Off topic, but is "Fallso" a new rank? I never seen it before and all of a sudden I got that little guy in my avatar. >.>

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by ASG
    I had a question about the Pelican ring. How much of a increase of fishing skill does it give?
    It's supposed to give you a second chance of skill up every time, with the same rate than the normal skill up. So you basically get twice the skill up you would get usually.
    It's not really proven, and it would be hard to prove anyway, but the fact you can get 2 skill up in a row, and the eyeballing from other fishermen, seem to backup this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    compared to titanictus forums you are not even close to bad luck yet.... lol I think some guy was 1/500+ on gus? that = ouch
    Enneisevoli of Lakshmi is 1/779 lik / 1/1046 gugrusaurus (http://www.titanictus.com/viewtopic.php?t=1523)

edit:

Oh btw, caught this little bastard this week end

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7...tmatsyawi8.png

Indeed, it bite on Drill calamary
    Used 10 Drill i had saved, got 4 cobalt jellyfish (so awesome >_>), 3 mobs, 2 line snap on Matsya, and this one
    I had Ebisu + penguin ring + albatross ring (i haven't Mooching) and, for what it's worth, Full Moon 100%, Watersday, night and no lightning weather (happen often there)

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

What size is it? I wonder what weight/size is the cap. Biggest fish in the game... XD

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's over 9000 !!! errr it's only 733 lm / 3737 Pz
    Seem it's a very small one compared to the 807 / 4102 on Page 9 =/

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I've been paging through this topic and I figured if anyone could answer my question, it would be someone in this thread. So I've recently picked my fishing back up (Currently 27) and I'm digging around different sites to find info on where/what I can obtain the best skillups per level (@ Lower Levels Pre-50).

At the moment, i'm fishing in Bastok Markets for Dark Bass & Black Eel, both of which should allow me to skillup on them. I'm using Worm Lure + Mithran Rod, since the Sinking Minnow repeatedly hooked Giant Catfish, which I can skillup on too however Dark Bass seem exponentialyl easier to catch.

Now for my question, is there a guide that you all have used or any tips you could give? The only crafts i've done are Cooking(100) Alch/Bone(60), and I know fishing is different. It just seems odd I'm not getting any skillups in Bastok Markets, when the only thing i'm catching is skillup fish. I wasn't sure if Fishing Skillups at the lower levels are this abysmal.

Oh, and i'm working on Lu Shangs (3000/10000) which I'll probably finish when I near 45~50, because I don't want to go on 50+ without it...

Any information/help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious
    I've been paging through this topic and I figured if anyone could answer my question, it would be someone in this thread. So I've recently picked my fishing back up (Currently 27) and I'm digging around different sites to find info on where/what I can obtain the best skillups per level (@ Lower Levels Pre-50).

At the moment, i'm fishing in Bastok Markets for Dark Bass & Black Eel, both of which should allow me to skillup on them. I'm using Worm Lure + Mithran Rod, since the Sinking Minnow repeatedly hooked Giant Catfish, which I can skillup on too however Dark Bass seem exponentialyl easier to catch.

Now for my question, is there a guide that you all have used or any tips you could give? The only crafts i've done are Cooking(100) Alch/Bone(60), and I know fishing is different. It just seems odd I'm not getting any skillups in Bastok Markets, when the only thing i'm catching is skillup fish. I wasn't sure if Fishing Skillups at the lower levels are this abysmal.

Oh, and i'm working on Lu Shangs (3000/10000) which I'll probably finish when I near 45~50, because I don't want to go on 50+ without it...

Any information/help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
    1st off, welcome to the world of fishing. First off, check out http://www.titanictus.com/viewtopic.php?t=752 A very good guide on fishing. Second, fishing skillup is nothing like crafting. It can be very random, however I notice more skillup on Full Moon's. With the new fishing rods, Lu Shang isn't required at 50, if anything it make skillup a bit more difficult. Take a look at the guide and check out the fish near your level. Lu will actually target fish that are out of your level or catch too low level fish. However, since your working on Lu, it won't hurt to have.

GL!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Tyvm! I've been interested in fishing as a past-time while I do other things IE: write essays etc. I'll just fish and type, alt-tab etc.

Thanks Again, all the help is appreciated!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

The lake Jugnar Forrest is pretty good at that level iirc. Use little worms and Halcon rod.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

You are now recognised as a veteran of the fishing guild. w00t
    I’d post a SS but I’m at work. Can I get 12 levels in 17 days?!

Forum Donator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    You are now recognised as a veteran of the fishing guild. w00t
    I’d post a SS but I’m at work. Can I get 12 levels in 17 days?!
    I haven't fished in ages but I've got a character at 97 fishing for god knows how long. Its a lot of boat fishing. I did a ton a year or so ago and only got the 1 level (post black sole)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

It's pretty easy to get 99 in Nash from what I hear. I hope to get that last level while workintg on Ebisu. :o

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It's pretty easy to get 99 in Nash from what I hear. I hope to get that last level while workintg on Ebisu.
    If your looking for pure skillup, best place is the Ship. If your looking for gil/skill might want to try Talacca Cove first. Another good palce for skillup is Kuftal Tunnely on Cave Cherax. Might catch a devil manta for angel skin as well. :D

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by vagus
    It's pretty easy to get 99 in Nash from what I hear. I hope to get that last level while workintg on Ebisu.
    If your looking for pure skillup, best place is the Ship. If your looking for gil/skill might want to try Talacca Cove first. Another good palce for skillup is Kuftal Tunnely on Cave Cherax. Might catch a devil manta for angel skin as well. :D
    Ship ship ship ship! got to 88 in nashmau almost 90 now

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by vagus
    It's pretty easy to get 99 in Nash from what I hear. I hope to get that last level while workintg on Ebisu. :o
    Read the thread, I've been in cove since about 55 lol.
    Might give Cherax a go, would be nice to get an angel skin or two.
    I'm trying to avoid boats as I know I'll be spending a lot of time there while doing Ebisu.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Let me just say fishing for Liks sucks without woodworking leveled.

Every time I break the rod, I have to go to Rabao... >.< I need to find a woodworker that needs skill ups... lol

Is there some sort of special cap on Liks that I can catch in one day? I was getting on average one per 5 minutes or so to bite, but then after I had reeled in 11 of them and lost 9 additional Liks to either a broken rod or snapped line, I didn't have a single one bite for another 50 minutes. Dark Bass were still biting like crazy...

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

usually after 15 Lik (same for Gugrusaurus) i consider i'm close enough of the fatigue cap to not make it worth anymore to use my precious Penguin ring and i stop for the day.
    I guess the real fatigue cap should be around 17-20 Lik / Gugrusaurus

Myself i had to lvl woodworking to 73 as a prerequisate to get Ebisu. It took me 1 week, and it was worth it