Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Re: Fishing

I've got Clothcraft Lv.99 already, so leveling Woodworking is not an option.

And it seemed to me as though it didn't put me at the actual fatigue cap, but rather there was just a cap on Liks. After I noticed that I wasn't catching them anymore, I started to just reel in all of the Dark Bass and I caught 20 of them before I went to bed. After 11 Liks caught, 9 Liks lost, and 20 Dark Bass, the recast time for /fish had still not increased, so I don't think I was close to fatigue.

It seems more likely to me, although I've only been trying to catch these for one day now, that Liks just have their own cap on how many you can get in a day. But I don't think you are fatigued once you reach that cap. I'll try to test this more, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

doesn't seem it's a soft fatigue cap since you could still reel in Dark Bass ...
    Did you remember if the day changed ? (more likely) or the moon phase ? (not likely)
    if it's not that then it's probably just bad luck.
    Lvling WW on a mule would probably not be worth it for Lik since you would need to clear Promys (or send the rod on D box to your mule w/ WW lvled) but you may think about it even more for Gugru ... Also there is 2 new WoTG fish who like to break your rod often (Piracuru & Abaia)

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

I don't really know if the day changed, but it'd be fairly unlikely to not get a single Lik bite in 50 minutes... Although possible, I suppose.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

dinged 93 fishing tonight

Things to note
    -Cave Cherax bite MUCH more often in kuftal than quicksand caves.
    -25% rate of pugil's from them held up went 6/25
    -Ended up getting 2 mantas while fishing in kuftal
    Total skill up in prolly 30-45 bites was .2

Road the ferry after that (had ridden before the cherax's with meh luck)
    -caught a total of 8 sea zombies 1 boat and 4 on the other.
    -total of 2 gugru bites, one per boat.
    -first 3 zombies gave drill, and no others... which held up 25% rate of drills.
    -got .1 .2 on one zombie, .2 on a ryugu, .1 on zombie and .1 on a titanictus.
    (did 3 boat rides)

Summary:
    If you go for Cave Cherax fish in kuftal, (much higher bites) and a chance at angel skins. The boat is much faster skill than anywhere else, and the rate of bait from fish for ebisu ends up being very close to 25%

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Hit 90 over the weekend. LS recently did KS99 Faf and I got Speed belt on my orb, just sold it for 20M and it’s really put a dampener on my motivation for fishing. I was really broke before lol. Bought a Genie Weskit and it didn’t make much of a dent in my earnings. I’m trying to keep fishing anyway, but it seems a bit pointless now.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Wow grats man ! 20M is a lot of gil for the belt O.o

I'm still far behind, hit 61.9 yesterday...I've been to Talacca Cove a couple times but didn't get the experience everyone talks about (not a single skillup in 3 hours, and need to pay attention to the catches because monsters suck). I'd love to try SSG but I won't go there before I get the OP, and it could take time :/

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious
    Tyvm! I've been interested in fishing as a past-time while I do other things IE: write essays etc. I'll just fish and type, alt-tab etc.
    Thanks Again, all the help is appreciated!
    You're not allowed to post in my thread any more.
    GFTO.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

This weekend was pretty good for me.

Turned in a bunch of Marlins and got a Pirate's Chart. Solo'd it and got myself an Albatross Ring.

Decided to start Woodworking again since it seems you need to be able to fix Lu's in order to pursue Ebisu. Dinged 59 on Scorp Arrows. Gonna look for a decent bridge synth before I start Demon Arrows.

Fished for 2 hours in Talacca and made like 80k just NPC'ing the fish. Also got .1 x2 to put me at 86.3. I really need a Pelican Ring. =/

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic
    Fished for 2 hours in Talacca and made like 80k just NPC'ing the fish. Also got .1 x2 to put me at 86.3. I really need a Pelican Ring. =/
    Sounds like you had a productive weekend. Talacca Cove is the bomb. Best place for skill / gil in the game, atleast per hour rate. Lol.

I'm glad BG has a fishing thread. Need more information on fishing. Lol. Got a .3 from fishing in Kuftal for Cave Cherax. 93.7 now. Helped a friend get an angel skin for the Manta he fished up, then I proceeded to go 0/5 on my own. AHHHHH. Screw you TH4. -.-t

Anyone find any use for Dwarf Pugils in the new areas?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I must be doing it fucking wrong, because Talacca Cove has been horrible to me at 60+ :/

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

94.6 now. On one boat got .3 .3 on 2 ryugu titans... on one boat. Prolly the fastest skill I've ever gotten. Gonna stick to the boat till I hit 96 then fish gugrus on the alzhabi boat. Seems like the best skill up area in the game, with high bite rate, only bad thing is you only get 15mins of ring time out of the 20 they last.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic
    You can single out Pterygotus with Lugworm.
    Tried this in Nash last night for about 3 hrs. I seemed to fatigue really quickly and didn't get a single skill up. ; ;
    I'll give it another shot today after work.
    Also <3 Lugworm belt.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

http://www.grand-blue.com/search/?fid=056&lng=en has been my friend for targeting fish with bait. Still have a ways to go but it's going

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Anyone know if you can single out Pterygotus with a Lure?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Dragonmaw

I've been leveling fishing lately, and have been seriously looking into ebisu. I was wondering, do you need the GP item serpents rumours to fish up the two fish? gugru and lik, or can I start fishing them early, and turn them in, i just can't complete the quest? Thanks

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Hit 96 fishing and headed to the alzhabi boat, gugru are much easier to catch now at 96 (though still not easy, a decent amount still time out). This is with fishing support, and +4 fishing equips, and albatross ring.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Patb
    I've been leveling fishing lately, and have been seriously looking into ebisu. I was wondering, do you need the GP item serpents rumours to fish up the two fish? gugru and lik, or can I start fishing them early, and turn them in, i just can't complete the quest? Thanks
    You need the rumors to unlock the ability to hook the fish.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Dragonmaw

thanks. I have another question. I was skilling a mule's fishing, just to make some extra money. Its currently at 35, and everywhere i hear about how amazing shall shells are. I did them way back before the whole big fishing update. I'm here now with a hume rod and robber rig and the bite rate is absolutely horrible. Maybe 1/10 casts has any kind of bite. Anything i'm doing wrong?

edit: I forgot to mention i was fishing in bubu

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Maybe 35 is a bit low for Shall Shells. I started these at 41, and it was kinda slow...till I reached 44 where it became really good skillups and money.

At 35 I did Gugru Tunas on the ferry (pre-patch though, doing break-fishing) and La Theine Plateau for Red Terrapins as well.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Patb
    thanks. I have another question. I was skilling a mule's fishing, just to make some extra money. Its currently at 35, and everywhere i hear about how amazing shall shells are. I did them way back before the whole big fishing update. I'm here now with a hume rod and robber rig and the bite rate is absolutely horrible. Maybe 1/10 casts has any kind of bite. Anything i'm doing wrong?

edit: I forgot to mention i was fishing in bubu
    See my previous jobs and woes with Shall Shells near the start of the thread.
    You need to check how well they sell on your server, I was fishing mine up a lot quicker than I could sell them at AH and ended up NPCing most of them. Was still good skillups though.