Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 470 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 9383

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter submit to tumblr

  1. #21
    Corwens a slot
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,127
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Paegan
    Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Oh by the way, can anyone confirm that you can get more than 1 Pelican Rings ?
    Yes, you can, I have two of them in my mog locker atm. They're Ex only, not Rare. Same with Albatross Ring (somepage has that one incorrectly marked as Rare).
    Thank you for the info, I'm gonna try getting a couple of these =)
    gl... that competition is ass... the pelican ring one....

    Contest entries for Fish Ranking will be accepted for a period of two weeks (Earth time). After the competition is over, the results will be announced for the next two-week period.This cycle will continue so that the event is held twelve times a year.

    http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5599/pelicanzu0.png

    http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8854/penguinli2.png

    The two I have... need the chart for the other one : (

  2. #22
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    867
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Re: Fishing

    Oh there's no competition while they annouce the ranking for the previous one ? Damn you're right then, it's gonna be rough to even get one of these :/ Well my server doesn't seem to have that many fishermen, but knowing those silly JPs, you never know...

  3. #23
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    149
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Contest entries for Fish Ranking will be accepted for a period of two weeks (Earth time). After the competition is over, the results will be announced for the next two-week period.This cycle will continue so that the event is held twelve times a year.
    Oh, I didn't realise that, never really thought about it. Probably because I only need a new ring every 4-6 months, I only really fish a lot when it's worthwhile (i.e. after a round of rmt bans).

    This was the result board from the last ranking contest, I came 4th out of 6 entrants
    (target fish was Takitaro with the lowest weight)

    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/967...king4thvv8.jpg

  4. #24
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,741
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by evilbau
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Hurray FINALY got .2 after like 3 nights of fishing on and off, which took me to 34. :D
    I have this theory that when your closes to leveling up on a craft it's actually slightly harder to get that last little bit. Always seems that way to me anyway. I've decided to go the Carp rout as I can't afford Lu's. I went Carp fishing (semi-skillup) in Zeruhn Mines at 33, using Halcyon rod and little worms. Only caught like 6 Black eals to skillup on, but I got a .2 so I'm happy.
    I fished up carps for my lu and for 0-50 i mostly fished in areas where i could skill up + catch moat carp. At that level I was fishing in rabao for moats and sandfish (i think 50 or 51 cap) and I stayed there until I got lu. Sandfish fight fast if you aren't used to it, but you should get the hang of it after a stack or so. Skillups at that level are still somewhat fast, I would average about 0.7 (guesstimating) skill per day (those days I would fish until i hit exhaustion), slowing down as I approached the cap. after that, 50+ skill and Lu can pretty much catch anything (with exceptions)

    edit: summary: halcyon + insect ball in rabao
    Hmmm, I thought I was a bit low to go there now. I was going to do mostly Moats in Zeruhn Mines, skilling on Black eals using Halcyon + little worms; alternating with north Quifm, Halcyon + minno, when the depressingness of being such in a dark cave started to get to me, not that north Quifm is much better lol.
    I really think I need to see if I can try and get into Fish Ranking now though, maybe try and combine that with skillups/moats.

  5. #25
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    730
    BG Level
    5

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Paegan
    Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Contest entries for Fish Ranking will be accepted for a period of two weeks (Earth time). After the competition is over, the results will be announced for the next two-week period.This cycle will continue so that the event is held twelve times a year.
    Oh, I didn't realise that, never really thought about it. Probably because I only need a new ring every 4-6 months, I only really fish a lot when it's worthwhile (i.e. after a round of rmt bans).

    This was the result board from the last ranking contest, I came 4th out of 6 entrants
    (target fish was Takitaro with the lowest weight)

    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/967...king4thvv8.jpg
    it looks like they hacked the data or something...

  6. #26
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,202
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbau
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Hurray FINALY got .2 after like 3 nights of fishing on and off, which took me to 34. :D
    I have this theory that when your closes to leveling up on a craft it's actually slightly harder to get that last little bit. Always seems that way to me anyway. I've decided to go the Carp rout as I can't afford Lu's. I went Carp fishing (semi-skillup) in Zeruhn Mines at 33, using Halcyon rod and little worms. Only caught like 6 Black eals to skillup on, but I got a .2 so I'm happy.
    I fished up carps for my lu and for 0-50 i mostly fished in areas where i could skill up + catch moat carp. At that level I was fishing in rabao for moats and sandfish (i think 50 or 51 cap) and I stayed there until I got lu. Sandfish fight fast if you aren't used to it, but you should get the hang of it after a stack or so. Skillups at that level are still somewhat fast, I would average about 0.7 (guesstimating) skill per day (those days I would fish until i hit exhaustion), slowing down as I approached the cap. after that, 50+ skill and Lu can pretty much catch anything (with exceptions)

    edit: summary: halcyon + insect ball in rabao
    Hmmm, I thought I was a bit low to go there now. I was going to do mostly Moats in Zeruhn Mines, skilling on Black eals using Halcyon + little worms; alternating with north Quifm, Halcyon + minno, when the depressingness of being such in a dark cave started to get to me, not that north Quifm is much better lol.
    I really think I need to see if I can try and get into Fish Ranking now though, maybe try and combine that with skillups/moats.
    skillup ring is good to take a break for. I would also check online resources for aprox max/min values for various fish. This allows you to get a better idea of how close to winning you are. Not perfect, but it can get you in the ballpark.

    Honestly fishing skill doesn't come into play that much unless you can't catch the fish. I don't think you'll actually FAIL to catch sandfish, you have lots of time with halcyon compared to say mithran.

    I fished rabao after they supposedly nerfed it but it is still really good imo, with the ability to also catch a higher lvl fish for skillups, it was probably my favorite part of getting moats for lu. might want to try it for a couple of days just to see if you can reliably catch sandfish and to see if you get any skillups. If you don't, you can blame me haha

    also, i tried to do the zeruhn mine thing before but i found skillups off eels underwhelming but i think i was already close to the cap at that time. I typically target fish 10-15 lvls above me (taking into account the + skill from equip). although 20+ i do also (as long as it doesn't fight hard).

  7. #27
    A Magic Ham Sandwich
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,388
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Fishing

    Takitaro is a really tough catch without high skill is the problem, very high stamina, lots of movement.

  8. #28
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,202
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Flarega
    Takitaro is a really tough catch without high skill is the problem, very high stamina, lots of movement.
    when i said 'with exceptions' i was talking about these fish... legendaries with lots of fight. I just didn't think it was relevant to bring them up since hes in the 30s skilling up and catching moats and NOT going after legendaries

  9. #29
    Corwens a slot
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,127
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Fishing

    So I guess this is the skill up ring in action?

    http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/8962/skillupzsy0.png

    I guess the ring can add a random "extra" skill up. And I got lucky and it proc'd when I already got a skill? Neat shit I guess.

    Edit-
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7148/skillz2ow9.png

    Further proof I guess.

  10. #30
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,741
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    Re: Fishing

    Can’t see the pics as they are filtered at work; but I’m guessing it’s a shot of you getting a skillup immediately followed by another skillup on the same fish?
    That is very cool if the skillup ring can do that, I had no idea such a thing was possible. Any chance it’s a bug, or have other people seen this before?
    Do you think it might be possible to get multiple skillups with the rigs that allow you to catch multiple fish? (That’s assuming it’s actually possible to real in 2+ fish that are at least 10 levels above you.)

    I finally bit the bullet, and I’m going to buy Lu’s; it’s about 200k cheaper than p.charm on my server at the mo, I had bought one for DKK a while back, but my DRK is 70 now, and after the 2-handed update and capped Scyth merits from BLM (lol), it don’t think I need it. Haven’t needed it for ages, and it’s more likely I’d go to events as BLM or BRD anyway.
    I think I’ll still do some fishing for moats and turn them in whenever I get them. But it seems that would be a lot easier if I already had Lu’s lol.
    Any one know if you can complete the quest and get a 2nd one while you still have one in your possession, or would I have to sell/DB just before I completed the quest?

  11. #31
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    867
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Re: Fishing

    Double-skillups is awesome. I'm definately getting that ring asap

    And pretty sure you can get your quested Lu Shang while in possession of a bought one.

  12. #32
    Corwens a slot
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,127
    BG Level
    7

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Can’t see the pics as they are filtered at work; but I’m guessing it’s a shot of you getting a skillup immediately followed by another skillup on the same fish?
    That is very cool if the skillup ring can do that, I had no idea such a thing was possible. Any chance it’s a bug, or have other people seen this before?
    Do you think it might be possible to get multiple skillups with the rigs that allow you to catch multiple fish? (That’s assuming it’s actually possible to real in 2+ fish that are at least 10 levels above you.)
    When you reel in more than 1 fish on a lure that can catch multi, it says You caught 2 quus. etc etc. Only got 1 Shall shell both times ;x

  13. #33
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    156
    BG Level
    3

    Re: Fishing

    I can confirm that it is the ring which gives double skillups. Can also check titanictus.com and search the forums for further confirmation.

    Also, it is impossible to get double skillups without using the ring, and the amount of fish pulled per catch (with robber/rogue/sabiki) has no effect on double skillup procrate. Basically the ring just gives an extra unrelated chance of getting skill, so once in a while, your base skill rate and your ring skill rate overlap and give you skill twice on the same catch.

  14. #34
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    149
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylon
    Quote Originally Posted by Paegan
    Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Contest entries for Fish Ranking will be accepted for a period of two weeks (Earth time). After the competition is over, the results will be announced for the next two-week period.This cycle will continue so that the event is held twelve times a year.
    Oh, I didn't realise that, never really thought about it. Probably because I only need a new ring every 4-6 months, I only really fish a lot when it's worthwhile (i.e. after a round of rmt bans).

    This was the result board from the last ranking contest, I came 4th out of 6 entrants
    (target fish was Takitaro with the lowest weight)

    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/967...king4thvv8.jpg
    it looks like they hacked the data or something...
    Huh? SmallFisher01/02/etc are always present in the rankings board if less than 20 people enter, if that's what you're referring to. They're just placeholders, I guess that it's simpler for the programmers to deal with a table that always has exactly 20 entries, so they populate it with those names and scores at the start of the contest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freysi
    I can confirm that it is the ring which gives double skillups. Can also check titanictus.com and search the forums for further confirmation.

    Also, it is impossible to get double skillups without using the ring, and the amount of fish pulled per catch (with robber/rogue/sabiki) has no effect on double skillup procrate. Basically the ring just gives an extra unrelated chance of getting skill, so once in a while, your base skill rate and your ring skill rate overlap and give you skill twice on the same catch.
    Yes, the double skillup from the ring enchantment has been known about for a long time on the fishing forums. I've never heard of anybody getting a double skillup without the ring.

    Got this one just yesterday if people need more confirmation.

    http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3...skillupsu7.jpg

  15. #35
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    867
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Re: Fishing

    .4 in a single catch, this is pretty hot !

    About being able to catch multiple fishes using Sabiki/Robber/Rogue rigs, I know it works on Bastore Sardines, seems it also works on various other small fishes (icefish iirc), but after catching ~40 stacks of Shall Shells while skilling up, I have never reeled more than one per cast a single time. Is it even possible ?

  16. #36
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    188
    BG Level
    3
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Re: Fishing

    How does the fishing contest work, mainly does it go on at the same time across all servers and do all servers share the same target fish (like how all servers share the same GP item)?

  17. #37
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    156
    BG Level
    3

    Re: Fishing

    How does the fishing contest work, mainly does it go on at the same time across all servers and do all servers share the same target fish (like how all servers share the same GP item)?
    It happens at the exact same time across all servers, and no, servers don't necessarily share the same target fish, nor the same requirements (heaviest, lightest, smallest, etc.). If they do, it's just a coincidence.

    About being able to catch multiple fishes using Sabiki/Robber/Rogue rigs, I know it works on Bastore Sardines, seems it also works on various other small fishes (icefish iirc), but after catching ~40 stacks of Shall Shells while skilling up, I have never reeled more than one per cast a single time. Is it even possible ?
    It is not possible to catch multiple Shall Shells with a rig. I would assume it is because of how Shall Shells are classified. They are generally considered to be items by the fishing community, although they have the distinction of giving you skill. Rigs will not pull up multiple items, only multiple fish like Quus, Sardines, etc. I don't have the full list of those fish handy at the moment.

  18. #38
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    867
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    Re: Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Freysi
    About being able to catch multiple fishes using Sabiki/Robber/Rogue rigs, I know it works on Bastore Sardines, seems it also works on various other small fishes (icefish iirc), but after catching ~40 stacks of Shall Shells while skilling up, I have never reeled more than one per cast a single time. Is it even possible ?
    It is not possible to catch multiple Shall Shells with a rig. I would assume it is because of how Shall Shells are classified. They are generally considered to be items by the fishing community, although they have the distinction of giving you skill. Rigs will not pull up multiple items, only multiple fish like Quus, Sardines, etc. I don't have the full list of those fish handy at the moment.
    I was under that impression, thank you for the confirmation FinalFishing.com's guide classifies Shall Shells as "half-items", for the reason they give skillups but on the other hand have an equal biterate on bait and lures...which sounds pretty correct to me.

  19. #39
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,096
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

    Re: Fishing

    Yeah, I've always heard Shall Shells referred to as half-items. I generally used titanictus.com, and that's what they're called there.

    Speaking of Shall Shells, I know that both Robber Rig and Rogue Rig are good at catching them, but is either one of them better than the other? I believe I've been using Rogue Rig to catch mine, but I haven't tried the other.

  20. #40
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    156
    BG Level
    3

    Re: Fishing

    I remember someone doing some tests and not finding anything conclusive a while back. It was on marissa's forum iirc. Sorry I can't find the info for real proof, but as far as I know, the general consesus is that they are the same. I used a Rogue's Rig when I skilled on Shalls back in the day.

Similar Threads

  1. Glitch with last update (fishing guild)
    By Jerseyprophet in forum FFXI: Crafting Central
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2006-02-24, 06:17
  2. URGENT assistance please (fishing related)
    By CrimsonSky in forum FFXI: Crafting Central
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2006-02-12, 06:55
  3. Fishing questions
    By Demosthenes11 in forum FFXI: Crafting Central
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2006-01-19, 09:01
  4. Is fishing truely THIS nerfed?
    By Jerseyprophet in forum FFXI: Crafting Central
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2005-11-22, 08:55
  5. Fishing... It sucks..
    By Okan in forum FFXI: Crafting Central
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2005-11-09, 09:49