+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 470 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Re: Fishing

Seems to be the same for me. I started with a Robber that I used several days in a row, then switched to Rogue when I accidentally broke my line, and didn't notice any difference.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Paegan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylon
    Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Contest entries for Fish Ranking will be accepted for a period of two weeks (Earth time). After the competition is over, the results will be announced for the next two-week period.This cycle will continue so that the event is held twelve times a year.
    Oh, I didn't realise that, never really thought about it. Probably because I only need a new ring every 4-6 months, I only really fish a lot when it's worthwhile (i.e. after a round of rmt bans).

This was the result board from the last ranking contest, I came 4th out of 6 entrants
    (target fish was Takitaro with the lowest weight)

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/967...king4thvv8.jpg
    it looks like they hacked the data or something...
    Huh? SmallFisher01/02/etc are always present in the rankings board if less than 20 people enter, if that's what you're referring to. They're just placeholders, I guess that it's simpler for the programmers to deal with a table that always has exactly 20 entries, so they populate it with those names and scores at the start of the contest.
    oh i didnt know that, ive never seen that happen on fenrir cause so many people want the ring

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Contest entries for Fish Ranking will be accepted for a period of two weeks (Earth time). After the competition is over, the results will be announced for the next two-week period.This cycle will continue so that the event is held twelve times a year.
    Oh, I didn't realise that, never really thought about it. Probably because I only need a new ring every 4-6 months, I only really fish a lot when it's worthwhile (i.e. after a round of rmt bans).

This was the result board from the last ranking contest, I came 4th out of 6 entrants
    (target fish was Takitaro with the lowest weight)

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/967...king4thvv8.jpg
    it looks like they hacked the data or something...
    Huh? SmallFisher01/02/etc are always present in the rankings board if less than 20 people enter, if that's what you're referring to. They're just placeholders, I guess that it's simpler for the programmers to deal with a table that always has exactly 20 entries, so they populate it with those names and scores at the start of the contest.
    oh i didnt know that, ive never seen that happen on fenrir cause so many people want the ring
    That was probably just a rare fish (as he said Takitaro), but that one isn't nearly as bad as some. His server prolly just has fewer people interested... Example: Titanic Sawfish. Has a wopping 2-3 minute window to catch it every 50 or so minutes on the manaclipper. I got my ring on this.... after having a friend fish for me. Took 3 boats to get 1 fish.... and I think the max people that submitted was 15 or so? I ranked 4 though so I got some gil and my ring. I'd imagine that would be about as much a pain in the ass as getting a sea zombie off the boat. Though when you finally get a pirate boat you get a decent amount of time to hook it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

That was probably just a rare fish (as he said Takitaro), but that one isn't nearly as bad as some. His server prolly just has fewer people interested... Example: Titanic Sawfish. Has a wopping 2-3 minute window to catch it every 50 or so minutes on the manaclipper. I got my ring on this.... after having a friend fish for me. Took 3 boats to get 1 fish.... and I think the max people that submitted was 15 or so? I ranked 4 though so I got some gil and my ring. I'd imagine that would be about as much a pain in the ass as getting a sea zombie off the boat. Though when you finally get a pirate boat you get a decent amount of time to hook it.
    Another thing you can do when there are tough fish is check bazaars. There are bound to be some high-level fisherman selling tons of the fish needed for the competition. Just be careful that the fish you buy doesn't say "Ranking: X" on it

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freysi
    Another thing you can do when there are tough fish is check bazaars. There are bound to be some high-level fisherman selling tons of the fish needed for the competition. Just be careful that the fish you buy doesn't say "Ranking: X" on it
    Don't try buying them off the AH either. Doesn't work

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Bought Lu's yesterday and got a total of .4 last night ^_______^; (4x .1s)
    My friend was fishing next to me got 2x .2 in a row without Lu's though, lol T_T
    Was a good night for fishing xD
    North Qufim/Minnow @34, btw.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Got to 20 fishing on wife's char while she was still new and not too into game, now she plays more and I get to fish less so am leveling fishing from scratch on myself, so I have a few questions.

1: Worth it to buy lu'shangs from lv1?

2: What's the best way to just power through the 1-20ish levels, I can't really remember what I fished besides carp and I've just been riding the boat to mhaura / selbina with sibiki rig hooking quus and bastore sardines

3: HQ fishing eq vs NQ? Difference at all?

4: Fish ranking fish can't be bought off AH then? I was under the impression they could be

Sea Torques
    BG Level

1. Lu's make fishing much easier, but it's not really important till 50's-60's really. Thats when fish will start to really break your other options on you. My advice, is buy one when you see a good deal on one. (halcion is fine for now and can take you through 30's-50's+)

2. I don't remember... I used the guide from finalfishing.com

3. Defense.

4. Not 100% on this but most likely if your buying from the AH, its been picked clean first, and the best of the target fish will have been saved anyway. I'd say it really depends on your server, Carbuncle has a stupidly high amount of people who compete

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

1. Lu shang's is a luxury up until Lv.50. It's not really needed.

2. I used the guide at http://www.titanictus.com/viewtopic.php?t=752
    I did Moat Carps til 11, then Cheval Salmon til 21, and that went pretty fast.

3. Nothing.

4. They can be bought on the AH, but the problem is that people aren't going to sell a good fish on the AH, and if they do then it's already been marked as entered in the contest and can't be entered again. Your odds of getting a winning fish on the AH are very low.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Specifically about Lu Shang's, I switched from Halcyon to Lu at lv44, while doing Shall Shells in Buburimu. No solid data, but I would say there's a little difference in the skillups rate, mainly due IMO to the better ratio fish/items. Nothing gamebreaking though, and I think you can easily go through this stage (meaning up to 53) with Halcyon without difficulties. Can't say for the next skillup fishes though.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1827/88458397qd2.png

Caught at lvl 56 fishing... and gawd was it hard. Got a couple others to 0% which resulted in snapped lines and broken lushangs....

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

wow very nice O.o

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Caught at lvl 56 fishing... and gawd was it hard. Got a couple others to 0% which resulted in snapped lines and broken lushangs....
    Very nice. Are you on PC or console?

It always bugs the shit out of me though, that fishing should be the only craft where you can actually succesfully perform a synth (catch a fish) no matter how many levels below the skill cap you are, and also get skill off it.

Btw, just FYI. You can still get skill from snapped lines and broken rods, as long as you bring the fish down to 0% stamina.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

I caught my first Ryugu Titan at Lv.42, and it was my first attempt at catching one too. Decided to try again after that, and I broke my line on the next titan and broke my lu shang's on the following titan. ; ; Oh well, it was a rush!

I've got a question for anyone that has more experience with the Bhefhel Marlin charts. Are Brigand's Charts a lot more rare than Pirate's Charts? Is there some trick to get them? So far I've gotten 8 charts, and every single one of them has been Pirate's Chart. Is it possible to force a Brigand's Chart by having a Pirate's Chart in your inventory already, or does that just result in possibly a lost Pirate's Chart?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Freysi
    It always bugs the shit out of me though, that fishing should be the only craft where you can actually succesfully perform a synth (catch a fish) no matter how many levels below the skill cap you are, and also get skill off it.
    It used to be different, before the whole stamina thing was added. Back when the original fishing system existed, you had a hard time catching fishes 8+ levels above your skill. In very rare occasions you could get some, but it was not common at all. I remember getting a Black Sole at 39ish skill, but that's all.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I've got a question for anyone that has more experience with the Bhefhel Marlin charts. Are Brigand's Charts a lot more rare than Pirate's Charts? Is there some trick to get them? So far I've gotten 8 charts, and every single one of them has been Pirate's Chart. Is it possible to force a Brigand's Chart by having a Pirate's Chart in your inventory already, or does that just result in possibly a lost Pirate's Chart?
    This is a point of some contention. If you keep a Pirate's Chart in your inventory, you will definitely only get Brigand Charts. However, as to whether the game "converts" a possible Pirate to a Brigand, or just tosses the Pirate as per "you cannot receive that item, etc." is debatable. My personal numbers (1000+ marlins traded in) along with numbers from some other people show a tendency towards 3% droprate of either chart. So with no chart in inventory the droprate is around 6% of a chart, 3% each. With Pirate's in inventory, droprate of Brigand's was around 3%, which seems to indicate the possible Pirate's were just tossed. But it's not conclusive. Other people have numbers suggesting the exact opposite.

It used to be different, before the whole stamina thing was added. Back when the original fishing system existed, you had a hard time catching fishes 8+ levels above your skill. In very rare occasions you could get some, but it was not common at all. I remember getting a Black Sole at 39ish skill, but that's all.
    Yeah I know I'm an old-school fisher, I started fishing day 1 of the US release.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Currently 4/22 on charts (4x pirates so far) and I have about 90 marlins on mules... since i'm skilling on marlins atm ;x

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

I see, so I'm just getting very unlucky with the Brigand's Charts then I guess. I've turned in somewhere around 150 marlins, I just want my stupid Penguin Ring!

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3694/img0685ee4.png

wooooooot finally 1/4

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1264/img0687iy6.png

Followed by.... 1/31 tonight.... Bringing me to 5/53

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

As for the op
    I went to South gustaburg and fished with a halc rod and a sinking minnow. This caught ogre eels pretty commonly (35) cap. They also are not very hard to pull up.
    I'm currently skilling up here at lvl31, using halcyon + sliced sardine or sinking minnow. Catching ogre eels (35), gold lobster (46), and occasional zamflug bass (48), together with cobalt jellyfish (5) from time to time. Also had a couple of bites that felt like something bigger, pretty sure those were bastore bream from looking at the tables.

The eels are easy to reel in and the lobsters aren't hard either. Skillups are pretty good so far.