+ Reply to Thread
Page 469 of 470 FirstFirst ... 419 459 467 468 469 470 LastLast

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by trinironnie View Post
    Haven't fished for years since my main chr 110 ebisu etc. Lvling it on a mule so i can get shapers shawl and did they change fishing over the years? 4 hrs into fishing and only 0.4 skill
    Not that I've noticed. Hard to really say how slow that is without knowing level and how many catches it is. Generally speaking without anything special to help skillups (there might be RoV stuff for that now not sure and there is of course the food and ring) you should be getting 1.5-2 skill per day of fishing to fatigue until you hit like 90 or so faster at the really early levels. How long that takes will mostly depend on your target

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I was able to roughly get 6 levels a day (fishing to daily fatigue always) before fishin food came out on my main and on my mule til mule hit 70ish ( for him it went to absolute shit right as i was bout ebisu level, meaning just before you hit the requirements ). the fishing contest rings do help a ton like mentioned before.

If you are gettin really slow skillups it might just be where and what you are fishing. I believe they raised the skillup speed in general for fishing a couple times (I think they raised it when they added ebisu/lushangs +1 rods if memory serves). For me I worked on lu shangs (you could just buy one, fishing in mog gardens will net only moats so i fished there.) and then fished a few levels in sea serpent grotto then went to nashmau til bout 90. Also make sure your mule is over job level 20 as I think they have something built in to mess up new players fishin cause of RMTs using new accounts to fish back in the day. Think you hit fatigue faster.

If you are after shapers shawl on mule tho u can jsut fish matsya on your main and just need enuf skill to gut fish so doesnt seem like you have too far to go for that.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you're just looking to get up to skill for gutting, for my mule I did a little bit of fishing in town (moats/gold carp maybe?) and then capped out for gutting using Dark Bass and Giant Catfish in West Saruta. You can do a rod combination where the Dark Bass are too small to catch so they don't count against your daily fatigue but you can still get skill ups off them. Also keep in mind that you can use fishing +skill gear (torque is sendable same account) and support to count toward the requirement for gutting fish.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Other good low level stuff are knights pond for moat carp (during the right moon bite rate can literally jump to 100% with insect paste even worse case I think I was down to 80% and only moat was biting). That will get you to 11 really fast. Then I normally jump to papira. Fairly good bite rate in windy waters with various lures and yay not having to deal with monsters. That would get you to 29 though I'd switch by 20 or so to Crystal bass. Go to the crystal spring in jugner. Forget which bait was best and seems Kida's guide is down but again extremely high bite rates though most people overlook this fish because you can't sell it. Will get you to 35

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Duskwood

Thank you got it done on mule! Yesterday finally finished Ebisu +1, now i'm wondering does Kachina Gloves have a hidden effect for line breaks or is it only for rod breaks?

I ended up getting a hold of a fishing mule, and am pretty retarded about fishing outside of the fact I know I want to catch Matsya for shawl.

I plan to catch the 5 monsters and hold them with my mule whilst I fish. What bait would be best for catching monsters? Is this idea good or dumb? Am I dumb? (Yes)

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Its been a while but I thought you had to use drills or dwarves

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Don't waste your special bait on catching monsters. I've always used something that doesn't catch anything but items/monsters and used that to fish them up. It is a good idea to catch and hold monsters.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I thought thats what he said. a mule would pull up the monsters and hold them while he fished for matsya.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Fishing the monsters up is a good idea, but the question was what bait to use for monsters. You suggested drill calamary or dwarf pugils, which is incorrect because it's a waste of special bait to use them on monsters (which consume live bait when hooked). Something like minnow/sinking/fly lure (whichever works best, I'm not sure) that targets few fish would be best for fishing up monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    Fishing the monsters up is a good idea, but the question was what bait to use for monsters. You suggested drill calamary or dwarf pugils, which is incorrect because it's a waste of special bait to use them on monsters (which consume live bait when hooked). Something like minnow/sinking/fly lure (whichever works best, I'm not sure) that targets few fish would be best for fishing up monsters.
    That's what I was looking for. Thank you

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ok i think i mis understood the original question. I read as what bait is best for matsya. Surprised nobody didnt jsut point that out lol. I was wondering why you guys kept posting that kind of stuff til I just read what he asked. Id assume any bait can get monsters though

Campaign
    BG Level

Can anybody share some info on Bamboo Shoots? Where do you fish them, which bait and suggestions or w/e to make fishing them more efficient? Thanks

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I didn't think they were fished up. I've never caught any. When that zone was new, I would use all baits/lure to see what I could get. Only thing I see is Funkworkz mention it in an older thread.

"Its just called "Wasabi" I see it was also added in this update. Based on the description, could it be in gold chests in reisenjima like bamboo shoots? are there HELM spots there?"

Campaign
    BG Level

Someone told me they were fished but he could've been trolling me.
    Can't find info on Wiki so I assumed he was right

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    Can anybody share some info on Bamboo Shoots? Where do you fish them, which bait and suggestions or w/e to make fishing them more efficient? Thanks
    Only place I've ever seen Bamboo Shoots are from brown boxes in Reisenjima.

Campaign
    BG Level

That can't be the only source, can it? =(

You can also get bamboo shoots from the HELM points in reisenjima iirc.

Campaign
    BG Level

You mean harvesting/logging with the special KI thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    You mean harvesting/logging with the special KI thing?
    Yeah, with the reaper KI.