+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 470 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Fishing

I’ve recently decide to take fishing back up, I’m currently 33, and the last time I levelled it was probably over a year ago lol.
    I’ve had a look at some links and peoples guides, on the whole most sites just seem to be searchable DBs and don’t really offer a lot of information on the more subtle aspects of fishing.
    I actually really like fishing, I’ve tried other crafts and really hate them, this is nice and relaxing, and I don’t have to spend ages running around for materials, I can just whip out my rod and away I go, hurray.
    I’ve been trying to skillup on Shining Trout, I caught over 2 stacks yesterday, as well as a ton of Chivel(sp?) Salmon. Trout are supposed to be 37 but I didn’t get a single skillup for like 5+hrs of fishing. T_T
    I’m using a Hume rod and trout balls and fishing in Jugnar Forest at the river. I seem to get about 1 stack of Trout for every 4-5 of Salmon…
    I know fishing takes a lot of patients and time, but is there somewhere better I could be skilling up, using different rob/bait etc?
    Any advance would be much appreciated!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Re: Fishing

Shining Trout (Level 37)

* Carpenters' Landing (North, South)
    * East Ronfaure
    * Ghelsba Outpost
    * Jugner Forest (Vadout Brook & Tisaret River)
    * Phanauet Channel (Landing to Landing)

Catch with;
    * Fly Lure
    * Minnow
    * Rogue Rig
    * Sinking Minnow
    * Trout Ball

-Reccomended
    * Composite Fishing Rod
    * Ebisu Fishing Rod
    * Halcyon Fishing Rod
    * Lu Shang's Fishing Rod
    * Mithran Fishing Rod

Can Break:

* Carbon Fishing Rod
    * Fastwater Fishing Rod
    * Glass Fiber Fishing Rod
    * Hume Fishing Rod
    * Tarutaru Fishing Rod

EDIT: I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for in hindsight. I have no experience of catching these fish, so I cannot offer a personal opinion. But I took this from a list of Fish/Places/Rods that I have printed out.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Yeah... I have a lot of information like that. What there seems to be a real lack of information regarding is that, although lot's of people say you can catch Shining Trout in Carpenters' Landing (North, South), if you actually go there and try it at my level (which I did), you will in fact catch nothing but some shitty newts or something.
    Maybe you can catch those fish there at a higher level or I was just having bad luck or there just aren’t very many of them there.
    It's that kind of thing I'm looking for. Jugnar Forest seems much better as I'm actually catching the fish I want to skillup on now, but I do still get a lot of fish I don't need. I was just wondering if there was a better rod/bait/location out there that would be faster for skilling up.
    EDIT: Spelling.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah, don't go for Carpenter's Landing if you aren't patient/good at telling what fish is on your line. I tried for a lot of Shining Trout, and got a lot of Muddy Siredon. Trout were also hard for me to pull up, even with an inherited Lu Shang's... maybe I just suck, but they definitely seemed pretty ornery.

At that level, I remember I did Crystal Bass for a bit just to get the skill. Then I went ferry fishing on the advice of some friends - Noble Lady is surprisingly easy to pull up, as are Cone Calamary (and as a chef, I can make good use of both! Cone Calamary also can make cheap ink if you use shihei at all and have your alchemy at 60.) Bluetail and Tuna are a bit more difficult (again, I had a Lu Shang's, so your mileage may vary.)

At this point, I'm level 41 and have discovered the joy of shall shells. They're about as difficult to pull up as an item (read: not at all) and are also useful for cooking. I've pretty much adopted the idea I saw in a number of guides - fish for profit, and let the skillups come as they may.

One thing that I'm not entirely clear on is why the difficulty of pulling up a fish seems to have almost nothing to do with its skill cap. Noble Lady was nearly 30 levels above my skill, but I had less trouble with it than I ever did with Shining Trout. I'm not complaining, but it does seem somewhat odd.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seyrr
    Yeah, don't go for Carpenter's Landing if you aren't patient/good at telling what fish is on your line. I tried for a lot of Shining Trout, and got a lot of Muddy Siredon. Trout were also hard for me to pull up, even with an inherited Lu Shang's... maybe I just suck, but they definitely seemed pretty ornery.

At that level, I remember I did Crystal Bass for a bit just to get the skill. Then I went ferry fishing on the advice of some friends - Noble Lady is surprisingly easy to pull up, as are Cone Calamary (and as a chef, I can make good use of both! Cone Calamary also can make cheap ink if you use shihei at all and have your alchemy at 60.) Bluetail and Tuna are a bit more difficult (again, I had a Lu Shang's, so your mileage may vary.)

At this point, I'm level 41 and have discovered the joy of shall shells. They're about as difficult to pull up as an item (read: not at all) and are also useful for cooking. I've pretty much adopted the idea I saw in a number of guides - fish for profit, and let the skillups come as they may.

One thing that I'm not entirely clear on is why the difficulty of pulling up a fish seems to have almost nothing to do with its skill cap. Noble Lady was nearly 30 levels above my skill, but I had less trouble with it than I ever did with Shining Trout. I'm not complaining, but it does seem somewhat odd.
    At your level I skilled (and am skilling) on the selbina/mhaura boats noble lady/cone calamary/blue tail's Canceling all !!! because they will not yield on of these 3 fish. All 3 fish give skill ups !!! are either lvl 100, or lvl41 (tuna). While the gil is a little less, the lady's vendor for 500-600g each to the fishing npc. Normally 580-600 on a boat when pirates arrive. In the past 2 days of fishing for a couple hours a day i've gotten 3-4 levels at least. At one point I got 3 .2's in a row. This place is insane because everything you hook that is just ! is 100% chance at skill up.
    (I use lushang rod and a minnow)

As for the op
    I went to South gustaburg and fished with a halc rod and a sinking minnow. This caught ogre eels pretty commonly (35) cap. They also are not very hard to pull up. You also have the option of getting a worm lure and fishing in Zeruhn mines for Black eels which cap at (47).

Also take into account what you want to accomplish. Both of the places I suggested will give decent skill up rates, fishing is random it seems when you have a good day or bad day skill up wise, There are alot of guides to skilling up and some paths you can take to get moat carp and skill ups at the same time. (I did this in eastern altepa fishing for sand fish) got skill ups slower than I would have elsewhere, but got 100-200 carp in the process as well.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Shall shells in Buburimu Peninsula are great at your lvl or head out to Nashmau and hang out with the fishbots and go for the ToA version of shall shells(Istiridye). Both will take you up to 53 and are semi-profitable. Nashamau has the advantage of having an AH and a moglocker.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Yeah... I have a lot of information like that. What there seems to be a real lack of information regarding is that, although lot's of people say you can catch Shining Trout in Carpenters' Landing (North, South), if you actually go there and try it at my level (which I did), you will in fact catch nothing but some shitty newts or something.
    Maybe you can catch those fish there at a higher level or I was just having bad luck or there just aren’t very many of them there.
    It's that kind of thing I'm looking for. Jugnar Forest seems much better as I'm actually catching the fish I want to skillup on now, but I do still get a lot of fish I don't need. I was just wondering if there was a better rod/bait/location out there that would be faster for skilling up.
    EDIT: Spelling.
    Dude, your sig....

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    Dude, your sig....
    Yes?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?f ... 220&num=57

yes its lolalla but don't bash it till you take it a look, its a very decent fishing guide with plenty of good advice on what are best target fish, lure/rod combos for xxx level, etc.

if nothing else check out http://www.titanictus.com/ , its like the bg of fishing.

:3
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Skywall

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbroya
    Shining Trout (Level 37)

* Carpenters' Landing (North, South)
    * East Ronfaure
    * Ghelsba Outpost
    * Jugner Forest (Vadout Brook & Tisaret River)
    * Phanauet Channel (Landing to Landing)

Catch with;
    * Fly Lure
    * Minnow
    * Rogue Rig
    * Sinking Minnow
    * Trout Ball

-Reccomended
    * Composite Fishing Rod
    * Ebisu Fishing Rod
    * Halcyon Fishing Rod
    * Lu Shang's Fishing Rod
    * Mithran Fishing Rod

Can Break:

* Carbon Fishing Rod
    * Fastwater Fishing Rod
    * Glass Fiber Fishing Rod
    * Hume Fishing Rod
    * Tarutaru Fishing Rod

EDIT: I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for in hindsight. I have no experience of catching these fish, so I cannot offer a personal opinion. But I took this from a list of Fish/Places/Rods that I have printed out.
    no one else entertained by this? awwwww buddy....

If no one gets it, You need at least level 78 fishing to even try for Ebisu, well over the cap for Trout

EDIT: For trout, isn't it Fly Lure + any rod it doesn't snap, don't pull up any !!!'s? Single-targeted and easily bagged.

I would always do Fly Lure + Carbon.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Haven't fished for a long time, but I remember reading somewhere that you usually aim for fish ~10 levels above your current skill for skillups.
    Worked fine for me Am at 79.2 before I stopped.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Get a Pelican Ring if you haven't already, it really does increase skillup rate a lot. It's not usually difficult to finish in the top 20 fish ranking, not many people enter these days (on my server anyway), especially if the target fish is a more obscure one.

I'd guess that the enchantment doubles the chance of a skillup on any catch, that based on having used nearly 300 charges myself and the fact that you can get two skillups on the same catch with the enchantment active.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

There are a lot more people than I expected that participate in that ranking contest, on my server anyway. The first time I tried it, I had a decent fish and it wasn't even ranked in the top 50. All of the fish in the top 50 were very good entries and really close to eachother. I got lucky when I got my ring. They asked for Gugru Tuna, which since I had been skilling off of them for a very long time and kept the smallest and largest ones that I had ever caught on a mule, I had a very good entry. Ended up placing 12th with it, so I got my ring~

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I've been levelling fishing 0-40 in 2004, long before the stamina thing was added. And I took back fishing last week because I was bored and needed gil. I really enjoyed it so far, and am hoping I can get it to 100 in the future.

Back then, I did 33-40 on this Selbina<->Mhaura ship, breaking weak rods on Gugru Tunas. It worked great and I did 33-40 in a couple weeks (which was amazing back then, because of the slow skillup rate). I'm not sure this still works but I'd say it's worth trying. You can also look at the FinalFishing.com guide. It's very well done, and gives various options for every level range, depending on your goals.

Oh by the way, can anyone confirm that you can get more than 1 Pelican Rings ?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Yes, you can, I have two of them in my mog locker atm. They're Ex only, not Rare. Same with Albatross Ring (somepage has that one incorrectly marked as Rare).

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Get a Pelican Ring if you haven't already, it really does increase skillup rate a lot. It's not usually difficult to finish in the top 20 fish ranking, not many people enter these days (on my server anyway), especially if the target fish is a more obscure one.
    I'm jealous, my last attempt at a pelican ring, I placed 60th? after sorting through a good 25-30 fish for what I found to be the best. The fish wasn't too common either. I've yet to break into the top 20 over the past 8 months of attempts(damn JP's getting my rings).

edit:
    Pyree knows what I'm talking about (hi pyree, -summerbreeze)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Hurray FINALY got .2 after like 3 nights of fishing on and off, which took me to 34. :D
    I have this theory that when your closes to leveling up on a craft it's actually slightly harder to get that last little bit. Always seems that way to me anyway. I've decided to go the Carp rout as I can't afford Lu's. I went Carp fishing (semi-skillup) in Zeruhn Mines at 33, using Halcyon rod and little worms. Only caught like 6 Black eals to skillup on, but I got a .2 so I'm happy.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Paegan
    Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Yes, you can, I have two of them in my mog locker atm. They're Ex only, not Rare. Same with Albatross Ring (somepage has that one incorrectly marked as Rare).
    Thank you for the info, I'm gonna try getting a couple of these =)

evilbau

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Hurray FINALY got .2 after like 3 nights of fishing on and off, which took me to 34. :D
    I have this theory that when your closes to leveling up on a craft it's actually slightly harder to get that last little bit. Always seems that way to me anyway. I've decided to go the Carp rout as I can't afford Lu's. I went Carp fishing (semi-skillup) in Zeruhn Mines at 33, using Halcyon rod and little worms. Only caught like 6 Black eals to skillup on, but I got a .2 so I'm happy.
    I fished up carps for my lu and for 0-50 i mostly fished in areas where i could skill up + catch moat carp. At that level I was fishing in rabao for moats and sandfish (i think 50 or 51 cap) and I stayed there until I got lu. Sandfish fight fast if you aren't used to it, but you should get the hang of it after a stack or so. Skillups at that level are still somewhat fast, I would average about 0.7 (guesstimating) skill per day (those days I would fish until i hit exhaustion), slowing down as I approached the cap. after that, 50+ skill and Lu can pretty much catch anything (with exceptions)

edit: summary: halcyon + insect ball in rabao