Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 470 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Re: Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Freysi
    It always bugs the shit out of me though, that fishing should be the only craft where you can actually succesfully perform a synth (catch a fish) no matter how many levels below the skill cap you are, and also get skill off it.
    It used to be different, before the whole stamina thing was added. Back when the original fishing system existed, you had a hard time catching fishes 8+ levels above your skill. In very rare occasions you could get some, but it was not common at all. I remember getting a Black Sole at 39ish skill, but that's all.
    Under the old system, I was skilling 20-30 hooking gold lobsters in Sarutabaruta and got to the high 20's before taking a break. I'm guessing a large level gap doesn't make it impossible, merely very tough.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Caught at lvl 56 fishing... and gawd was it hard. Got a couple others to 0% which resulted in snapped lines and broken lushangs....
    I caught my first Ryugu Titan at Lv.42, and it was my first attempt at catching one too. Decided to try again after that, and I broke my line on the next titan and broke my lu shang's on the following titan. ; ; Oh well, it was a rush!
    I'm a page late on this but I (barely)caught a Kalkanbaligi while traveling to einjerhar about a month ago with a 35 fishing skill. It was really hard to pull in and I got very lucky with the directions my rod was moving in.

For reference: Kalkanbaligi=
    http://finalfishing.com/Fish.aspx?fid=108

(a useless non craftable 100...)

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Was 6/90 on charts.....

10/24/07
    1/7 Brig No Ring (3 chests 1 mob)
    1/9 Brig No Ring (4 Chests)
    1/32 Pirate chart No Kris
    1/13 Brig chart No Ring (2 chests 2 mobs)

Now 10/151

Wiki says you can ONLY get the penguin ring IF you fish up 4 chests. In the time they give you, you only have enough time for 4 casts. Basically if you fish a mob you are fucked. Anyone get a ring without getting 4 chests? If so at least you don't know you are fucked after the first cast being a mob......

7/151 (Pirate)
    3/151 (Brig)

Out of the 7 pirates i've had 1 kris drop.

These are the stats since I started fishing again. Previously I had done 1 Pirate and 1 Brig and got no kris and a ring on brig. I need a new penguin ring. ;;

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Wiki says you can ONLY get the penguin ring IF you fish up 4 chests. In the time they give you, you only have enough time for 4 casts. Basically if you fish a mob you are fucked. Anyone get a ring without getting 4 chests? If so at least you don't know you are fucked after the first cast being a mob......
    The ring is only in chest #4. I'm 0/11 on that bugger. Btw (I'm sure you know this already, but figured I'd point it out) you can bring a friend along in your party and he won't be level capped like you. I always brought a second account to take care of the mobs for me.
    I have been able to fish up a 5th mob/box but literally been a split-second away from targeting it to open. I believe it is possible with a little bit of luck.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

The ring is only in chest #4. I'm 0/11 on that bugger. Btw (I'm sure you know this already, but figured I'd point it out) you can bring a friend along in your party and he won't be level capped like you. I always brought a second account to take care of the mobs for me.
    I have been able to fish up a 5th mob/box but literally been a split-second away from targeting it to open. I believe it is possible with a little bit of luck.
    Well... that sucks... guess I gotta tone down the use of my Penguin if I plan on using it for liks etc later ;;

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I finally got off my butt and ran out to Selbina (currently skilling off gold carp in Windurst) to talk to the contest NPC. She said something about the contest being in display mode and being in display mode for 0hours 18mins. An hour and a half later, she said 17mins >_> .

Anyone know what's up with that?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Idk, but more importantly I went to check what fish were needed the other day, go go Titanicus(sp?) or something, with me at only 36 fishing. ; ;

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Same here, Titanictus :/

Can't really say I'm surprised :
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 years ago, at S-E's Headquarter
    S-E dev 1 : "Man, Fishing skillups are really slow, and I think we need to add an item to help the real fishermen."
    S-E dev 2 : "*help* them ? Are you out of your mind ?"
    S-E dev 1 : "Hehe wait, I got a plan, you're gonna love it. The idea is to add a contest, and the top-ranked 20 players get rewards, including gil and a ring with some fishing-related effect."
    S-E dev 2 : "No fucking way I'm working on that kind of things, you're gonna get us kicked from the company for being nice with the player base."
    S-E dev 1 : "Naaaaah, let me explain some more : To win the contest, you have to bring the smallest/biggest fish of a specific type that you can catch. For example Titanictus, a Ryugu Titan, stuff like that. High level fishes, that pretty much require 100 fishing skill."
    S-E dev 2 : "Oh...my...god...It's tricky, but I think I see where this is going...that ring...it's purpose...it's...ohhhh...oooooooooooooooooooooh... you fucking genius !"
    S-E dev 1 : "You got it ! It's for people with 100 fishing skill. CAPPED fishing skill ! So let's give them a ring that RAISES THE RATE OF SKILLUPS !!!"
    S-E dev 2 : "Fuck me. You're the next Sundi, no doubt about that."

A Magic Ham Sandwich
    BG Level

I can catch titanictus at like level 50 skill. They're probably the easiest legendary to catch but a bit of a step up from something like a bhefhel marlin. I could probably catch 4/5 of the titanictus I hook.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I've been doing Shall Shells since lv40, and now at 50 the skillups are really slow, so I tried various options :

- Bluetails in Qufim : This fish is horrible to catch. Pretty annoying battle for a lv56 fish IMO, so I would like a better option

- Gold Carps : did that yesterday in Port Sandy with a good enough skillup rate, catching moat and tricolored carps as well, which I don't really mind. But is there a way to isolate Gold Carps only ? I heard Misareaux Cost waterfalls, anyone can confirm this ?

All in all, what's a good spot to level 50-60 ?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Bluetails in Qufim : This fish is horrible to catch. Pretty annoying battle for a lv56 fish IMO, so I would like a better option
    Yeah, Bluetails really suck. I tried them back in 2004 before I had my Lu's and broke a couple keyboards.

Gold Carps : did that yesterday in Port Sandy with a good enough skillup rate, catching moat and tricolored carps as well, which I don't really mind. But is there a way to isolate Gold Carps only ? I heard Misareaux Cost waterfalls, anyone can confirm this ?
    Not sure about Misareaux Coast, but you can isolate Gold Carps in Windurst Woods using a Shrimp Lure.

I'd venture that your skillup rate on Shall Shells is just a slow patch. It happens. If you'd like a change of scenery, try the Selbina<->Mhaura ferry or SSG. On the ferry you could fish up Bluetail(55), synth into Sliced Bluetail (or just buy the bait, just not always available), and use that to fish up Bhefhel Marlins(61). Noble Ladies(66) are also easy catches. I skilled on those til 60 and then went to Gusgen Mines for 3 months, 60-81 off Gavial Fish.
    In SSG you basically just use a Shrimp Lure, reel in everything you hook, and eventually you will cap at lvl 90 off Grimmonites. I didn't go that way because the skill is so much slower, you tend to hook many things which don't give you skill. But many people did (and do) because you can make decent steady money at the same time as getting so-so skill.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Not sure about Misareaux Coast, but you can isolate Gold Carps in Windurst Woods using a Shrimp Lure.
    I'm going to try a couple hours in Misareaux Coast, I was told by a friend that the biterate is pretty good, noticeably better than in Windurst Woods. But I'll try there as well, just to be sure

I'd venture that your skillup rate on Shall Shells is just a slow patch. It happens.
    I keep track of my skillups and it went down the day I hit 48. Since then, I haven't been able to get more than .4 a day, when I was getting 1.2 per day a few days earlier, during the same fishing time. I agree it could be a slow patch though, since it tends to happen in this game, and I will possibly be back there if I have a hard time getting to 53 on other fishes.

If you'd like a change of scenery, try the Selbina<->Mhaura ferry [...] and then went to Gusgen Mines for 3 months, 60-81 off Gavial Fish.
    That's another good plan. I read about Noble Ladies being good skillups, so i'm adding this to the list of things I should try. Didn't plan Gusgen for 60-81, I had Qufim in mind because of Black Soles, but since the market is not so good it can be a viable alternative.

In SSG you basically just use a Shrimp Lure, reel in everything you hook, and eventually you will cap at lvl 90 off Grimmonites.
    SSG sounds like the best place to skill-up and make money, but the problem is it's a long walk :/ I don't feel like going there every day...on the other hand it's said to be the best place for fishing...so I really should try it ><

Thanks a lot for your answers, i'm writing all this down

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

I'm going to try a couple hours in Misareaux Coast, I was told by a friend that the biterate is pretty good, noticeably better than in Windurst Woods. But I'll try there as well, just to be sure

I'd venture that your skillup rate on Shall Shells is just a slow patch. It happens.
    I keep track of my skillups and it went down the day I hit 48. Since then, I haven't been able to get more than .4 a day, when I was getting 1.2 per day a few days earlier, during the same fishing time. I agree it could be a slow patch though, since it tends to happen in this game, and I will possibly be back there if I have a hard time getting to 53 on other fishes.

If you'd like a change of scenery, try the Selbina<->Mhaura ferry [...] and then went to Gusgen Mines for 3 months, 60-81 off Gavial Fish.
    That's another good plan. I read about Noble Ladies being good skillups, so i'm adding this to the list of things I should try. Didn't plan Gusgen for 60-81, I had Qufim in mind because of Black Soles, but since the market is not so good it can be a viable alternative.

In SSG you basically just use a Shrimp Lure, reel in everything you hook, and eventually you will cap at lvl 90 off Grimmonites.
    SSG sounds like the best place to skill-up and make money, but the problem is it's a long walk :/ I don't feel like going there every day...on the other hand it's said to be the best place for fishing...so I really should try it ><

Did shall shells to cap (53)
    Bluetails (took like 1-1.5 hrs to get to cap on these) (55)
    Marlins to cap (61) good chance at charts, get rings that will help you later on
    Currently doing Noble Ladys till cap, I've made more than 150-200k so far. Tier3 black ink syth=>Vendor for more than the stacks of nebs sell on AH, Instant gil as well. Noble Ladys sell very fast (used in dorodo sushi) for about 12k a stack.

I didn't seem to have as much trouble with bluetails as you did... I don't think I lost many to them being too hard, and they had a pretty good bite rate.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

The thing about Gusgen was that I was the only fisher ever there, and I could isolate Gavial Fish with a lure(Minnow). When I go out fishing, I go out for hours at a time (preferably 4-8) so I like to just zone out. Not having to worry about bringing enough bait, or constantly hooking random fish that don't give me skill just eases my mind. Even though the eventual skill rate might be slower I'm weird that way.
    The other nice thing about that place was the cash flow. I was able to find a buyer for my fish, and later, a buyer for all the HQ Pugil Scales I made. The synth is only lvl 5, so you can hit max tier just by getting your Bonecrafting to 56. I always brought along a second account to store a shitton of Lightning Crystals, and the pugil shells, so I wouldn't have to make constant runs back to town. It took a long time, but during those 21 lvls I probably made 20 million gil (back during inflation era), which was nice for just sitting around and watching TV while fishing

NP.

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    I didn't seem to have as much trouble with bluetails as you did... I don't think I lost many to them being too hard, and they had a pretty good bite rate.
    Are you on PS2 or PC? Fishing on PS2 is quite a bit easier than fishing on PC. I'm not sure as to exactly why, but it has something to do with how the game is programmed. Kind of like when you play really old games on new PCs that were programmed in relation to the clock speed, and they run like 50 times faster on the new computers. The faster your PC is, the harder it is to fish.
    I will be getting the xbox version of the game when I start working on Ebisu full time.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Are you on PS2 or PC? Fishing on PS2 is quite a bit easier than fishing on PC. I'm not sure as to exactly why, but it has something to do with how the game is programmed. Kind of like when you play really old games on new PCs that were programmed in relation to the clock speed, and they run like 50 times faster on the new computers. The faster your PC is, the harder it is to fish.
    It's not that it's so hard to reel a Bluetail, it's just that it's noticeably harder than any fish that caps around the same skill, and that it requires focusing to manage to reel it. And when I fish, well i'm not exactly focused to the max...more like reading or watching movies or browsing the web

I will be getting the xbox version of the game when I start working on Ebisu full time.
    Good luck with that man...People spend horrible months trying to get it :/

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Ding 40! Gratz me! :D
    I've been skilling in Qufim with Lu's and Minnow.
    Is there anywhere better I could be skilling up now that I've hit 40? I'm probably going to stop getting skillups on Cones soon, and Blues can be a bit of a pain. ; ; Was thinking about going to SSG.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Grats ^^v

I did 40-50 on Shall Shells in Buburimu Peninsula with Rogue Rig, and it worked great till 48, slower till 50. K-10 is a good spot.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I could do with working on my tan for 8 levels. To Buburimu!

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky
    Is there anywhere better I could be skilling up now that I've hit 40? I'm probably going to stop getting skillups on Cones soon, and Blues can be a bit of a pain. ; ; Was thinking about going to SSG.
    SSG is always good, as mentioned above. Shall Shells is the classic route. You can also go to Rabao with a Worm Lure and target Giant Donko(49) and Sandfish(50). South Gustaberg has Zafmlug Bass(48), Gold Lobster(56), Bladefish(71) and Bastore Bream(86). Minnow will target Bream, Meat Ball and Slice of Bluetail will target Bladefish, Crayfish Ball will get you Bass + Bream, Worm Lure will target Bass. Only problem there is that all bait/lures will target Cobalt Jellyfish as well. That's all I remember at the moment, was a long time ago, I might be off on something (don't think so though^^)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Do you think we'll get any major changes to fishing or any other crafts for that matter in the future? I'm a bit disapointed that a lot of the 100 fish don't even seem to have much of a purpose...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 470 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast