Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 470 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Re: Fishing

I did sandfish/moat carp route (crafting my own insect paste) to work towards my lushangs for about 2-3 levels around there, and ended up with about 800-900 carps and 3 skill levels

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Do you think we'll get any major changes to fishing or any other crafts for that matter in the future? I'm a bit disapointed that a lot of the 100 fish don't even seem to have much of a purpose...
    I have stopped hoping for some crafting changes. After playing the game for years, I noticed a clear pattern when it comes to S-E dealing with tradeskills :

- We added 1 reciepe in Bonecraft, 1 in Goldsmithing, and 67 in Cooking (AOE INT+2 3 hours food mostly).
    - We added 1 reciepe in Clothcraft and 38 in Cooking (AOE CHR+3 3 hours food mostly).
    - We added 18 reciepes in Cooking (AOE enhance-resist-gravity 3 hours food mostly).
    - We added 40 new fishes, but only 1 of them is used in a reciepe (that will be added later though).
    - We added 38 reciepes in Alchemy (1x expensive bolts noone will use, and 37 fireworks).
    - We added 12 more fishes, and the reciepe we promised a few weeks ago (AOE DEX+1 3 hours food).
    - We added 1 new Woodworking synth (Platinum arrows, need I say more).
    - We added 1 reciepe in Bonecraft, 1 in Smithing, and 18 in Cooking (Xmas crap).
    - We added 60 new fishes to far-east, that miror the old continent ones.
    - We added 12 reciepes in Alchemy (12 fireworks).

So yeah, I'll continue crafting and fishing, but I don't have any hope left for some magical S-E fix for the problems we already had to deal with for years now :/

Specifically for fishing, the only goal most fishermen can share, is the ability to whore the few profit fishes. When I say profit, I just mean they can make you some money to pay for your food, your dynamis, your limbus, your oils and powders, the random low-level stuff you need for exping, and sometimes one big-ticket item you've been saving for for weeks. But no kraken/relic money, obviously.

A Magic Ham Sandwich
    BG Level

Also if you do besieged, while waiting for it to start you can fish kayabaligi in al zahbi with minnow or sinking minnow, they cap in the mid 70s. NPC at the whitegate guild for a little bit as well, wouldn't AH them though.

Oh yeah, make sure you don't use a composite for them. You will get the "too small" message a lot.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

So, the fish ranking contest is asking for a Giant Chirai this time. Does anyone know anything about these? They're apparantly a legendary fish that can break Lu Shang's rods. I have Lv.48 skill right now, and I've been able to reel in a Ryugu Titan before, but I'm just worried that I'd break my rod a lot on this. Is the rod break rate higher or lower than with titans?

A Magic Ham Sandwich
    BG Level

You won't be able to catch them at your level. Ryugu Titans are special because they have low stamina but very rapid rod movement and high regeneration for mistakes. Giant Chirai have huge stamina and fairly fast rod movement. You will have to have pretty high fishing skill before you can catch one. I've tried before in my 50s and I couldn't even come close to catching one, maybe got it to like half hp.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

At 51 now. I was told about Misareaux Coast waterfall spot a few days ago, and went to check yesterday evening. Well it is great with a Lu Shang + Shrimp Lure : you can target Gold Carps only. Biterate is so-so but skillups rate is very good, and it's pretty good money as well. Caps at 56.

Sorry to make it look like a blog lol ><

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    At 51 now. I was told about Misareaux Coast waterfall spot a few days ago, and went to check yesterday evening. Well it is great with a Lu Shang + Shrimp Lure : you can target Gold Carps only. Biterate is so-so but skillups rate is very good, and it's pretty good money as well. Caps at 56.
    Think I'd be ok there at 40? When you say good money, how good is it? (At work now so can't check. >.>)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky
    Think I'd be ok there at 40? When you say good money, how good is it? (At work now so can't check. >.>)
    Gold Carp are very easy to reel in. You could go there at lvl 0 and stay until 56 if you chose to (although I couldn't say how your skillup would progress). As for money, iirc Gold Carp sell for 500+ each to npc, correct me if I'm wrong.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Quote Originally Posted by Freysi
    Gold Carp are very easy to reel in. You could go there at lvl 0 and stay until 56 if you chose to (although I couldn't say how your skillup would progress). As for money, iirc Gold Carp sell for 500+ each to npc, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Just like Freysi said, you'll have no problem reeling the Gold Carps in, but since it's the only fish on target, that would be the slowest way to 56 IMO. And to be honnest, Buburimu Shall Shells are really easy and profitable.

Gold Carps sell for a little over 300 per fish to NPC. It's not so much money, but it eventually adds up Shall Shells are way more profitable though. Sold ~60 stacks for 8-9k, and 10 more stacks for 2k per unit during a 10 minutes long bazaaring session at the Bonecraft guild.

I'd say go for the tan (and the gil ^^).

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

I got a Kris today! I was sooo excited, this makes my record 1/9.

And I still haven't gotten a Brigand's Chart yet, but how could I complain at a time like this?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Just like Freysi said, you'll have no problem reeling the Gold Carps in, but since it's the only fish on target, that would be the slowest way to 56 IMO. And to be honnest, Buburimu Shall Shells are really easy and profitable.

Gold Carps sell for a little over 300 per fish to NPC. It's not so much money, but it eventually adds up :) Shall Shells are way more profitable though. Sold ~60 stacks for 8-9k, and 10 more stacks for 2k per unit during a 10 minutes long bazaaring session at the Bonecraft guild.

I'd say go for the tan (and the gil ^^).
    Shalls are only 5k a stack on my Server :(, and don't seem to be selling very quickly (had them up for over 24hrs now). ; ; But I am getting a good skillup rate on them, nearly 2 levels yesterday, I think I'll stay here 'till 48.
    I like the Boncraft idea. My home nation is Windy so I can easily get there after a fishing session. I'll see if I have better luck off loading my fish there.

New Merits
    BG Level

just do soles until 96 in qufim south

ive done soles from 49 to 82.whatever. another good spot is tallaca cove for dils/mercs/ahtpots and just NPC them. They all have high caps and the bite rate is crazy since you are targeting 3 fish compared to 1

also on a side note whats the lightest emperor fish anyone has caught? Friend of mine says his lightest was 351,

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Which bait/lure is used in Talacca Cove? I might give that a try when I cap myself on Shall Shells. I'm currently 51, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Also, Soles seemed pretty difficult to reel in, and they don't bite all that frequently, it seems... I don't think I'd have a chance at reeling them in if it weren't for my Albatross Ring. Do they get easier to reel in? Plus, ice weather in Qufim seemed to scare them all away because I would literally not catch anything when ice weather was in effect. I didn't really like them... :/

New Merits
    BG Level

lu shangs/shrimp lure in t.cove

as for soles i never really fish outside of 80%-20% new and full moons. i also never really fish ice day or water day

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Try various things people suggested. I'm currently doing gavial fish. I did noble ladys for awhile from 61-64 or so then started doing gavial fish. They almost always give a .2 when you do get a skill up, and I get 1-1.6 skills in maybe 2-4hrs each day which is very good for the level range i'm at atm. Sole are rather hard to reel in. Oxx's suggestion may be a good one, I have not tried there before. However these gavial fish are so easy to reel in I've never even seen the warning message about taking too long. About to ding 68 : ) Just because some place is not posted in a guide, doesn't mean its not a great place to skill up. Look at the fish levels for yourself and try things out. Money is not that great here, however the skill ups make it worth while. I'm not really hurting in the gil department to begin with, more or less the inventory department.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

My stupid Shall shells arn't selling. >_< EDIT: And I have about a bazzllion stacks.
    Any bonecrafter on Shiva want to spam Black pearls? >.>

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I really loved doing Gavials, great skillup and getting .2 almost every time was nice. I'm doing Pterygotus atm in Nashmau, another example of convenience over skillup. I just like the fact that I can take a relaxing boat trip, buy 10 stacks of Lugworms on the boat for 1k total gil, and just sit at the dock in Nashmau and isolate a lvl 99 fish which is easy to reel in. Plus when my inventory is full I turn around and run 5 steps and sell each of them for 780 gil. Just hit 90 last night ^^

There are definitely better places for skill at 90+ (Cave Cherax, Black Sole, Titanictus/Ryugu) but like I mentioned before, I like convenience and having the ability to space out

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Hmmm, I'd like to try Gavial Fish, it looks like they sell to an NPC for 1k each, so that seems like a decent profit as well as skill... But, where is North Gustaberg (Cascade)? Is it the area that I need to go through Dangruf Wadi to get to?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pyree
    Hmmm, I'd like to try Gavial Fish, it looks like they sell to an NPC for 1k each, so that seems like a decent profit as well as skill... But, where is North Gustaberg (Cascade)? Is it the area that I need to go through Dangruf Wadi to get to?
    Yes. I did all my Gavial fishing in Gusgen mines, however. Not quite as far to go as the cascade. I have heard other fishermen say the biterate is higher at the Cascade, but I take such claims with a grain of salt, since fishing in FFXI can be so streaky.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Ah, Gusgen Mines would be quite a bit more convenient than Gustaberg. I'll probably give both a try and see what it's like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 470 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast