+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC Case suggestions?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

PC Case suggestions?

I'm looking to build a new PC soon. Looking for a case that comes with enough fans for adequate cooling and is big enough to house a huge heatsink (Tuniq Tower) and a dual slot video card like a 8800gtx. Not really looking for fancy side windows or leds. Anyone have any suggestions?

So far I've heard about the Antec 900, Antec p180, and Coolermaster CM690 being good.

Re: PC Case suggestions?

I've got a Cooler Master case, insane amounts of air flow in this thing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119112 - Case I have now I think, but all black. Has two or three intakes I believe.

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/pr ... tbcate=168 - Website with all their shit.

<3 Cooler Master etc etc.

Antec 900 is nice, can fit 8800gtx and tuniq tower easily. Also has great airflow, only problem is no removable mobo tray which is sort of a bitch.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

antec 900, that's what i have, i really like it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129021
    Promo Code: EMC1009CASE02 = $35 off

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have the Antec P180 myself, and while it is a bit bigger than most cases, I have no complaints at all.

P180 case here and would love to get another one for an htpc.

One problem I've had though is that 4+ Antec 120mm fans have seized up on me.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have an antec 900 case, and even though it looks like it has huge fans all over it, it actually makes very little noise.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I have an Antec 900, and love it so far.

However one of the things I like about the Antec P180 is the washable air filters.

The 900 does great with cooling, however it doesnt have any air filters for the front two intake fans, which suck in a lot of dust.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Anyone have any cases with a removable motherboard tray? I haven't really heard of any good cases with that feature. Maybe a Lian-li but their average cost is higher than other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yangsing
    Anyone have any cases with a removable motherboard tray? I haven't really heard of any good cases with that feature. Maybe a Lian-li but their average cost is higher than other manufacturers.
    I have one. It's an older full tower antec and it's sick. It makes installing soooo much easier.

I've heard cases with motherboard trays make it a lot easier to hide cables.

The Stacker 830 has a removable tray, but its also big, and has flashy blue LEDs in some spots.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by ShinseiRyu
    I've heard cases with motherboard trays make it a lot easier to hide cables.
    it does cause if they're long enough/thin enough you can drop them behind it and then they're gone

assuming its that style of tray... (which is elevated off the other side of the case enough... sometimes not like that idk) you can also wrap cables around the outside of the tray to hide them as well

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I have a Silverstone Tj-09 Black and I can't be more happier using any other case. Plenty of room to work with and removable motherboard tray. In addition you can open both side (as most cases with removable mobo tray usually have). 2 x 120mm optional fan at the top so plenty of airflow. The downside of this case is price :S but for me it's really worth it so it totally depends on your budget. As for heatsink, I use thermalright xp120 extreme and I have no problem fitting it in. Putting dual 8800gtx should be no problem.

My previous build used Antec Sonata I and it's a pain to work with as it's a mid-tower case and the inside has limited space. It's totally no fun if I had to change heatsink and stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope that helps

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Sakurakinomoto
    It's totally no fun if I had to change heatsink and stuff.
    wish I could change my heatsink without having to remove the motherboard -_-

</3 u120 extreme & it's bolt-through method

You probably wouldn't need to change it, as its the best air cooled heatsink atm heh

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

How hard was it to put on the 120 extreme? I'm considering getting that instead of the tuniq tower but I'm not into straining my fingers to put on a heatsink.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcross
    You probably wouldn't need to change it, as its the best air cooled heatsink atm heh
    Not anytime soon ^_^. 120 extreme is a beast.

How hard was it to put on the 120 extreme? I'm considering getting that instead of the tuniq tower but I'm not into straining my fingers to put on a heatsink.
    It can go both ways ^^;;. If you are building a new PC, then installation is a breeze. If you are changing your heatsink then it depends on what case you have. If it has a removable mobo tray then it won't be a problem. if it doesn't then most likely you have to take your mobo out because you need to screw/hold the plate from the bottom of the mobo and you need more room to work around if your case is small or mid-tower.

Hope that helps.