+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Official Site: http://www.ageofconan.com

I'm starting to get really excited about this game coming out and I was wondering if anyone else was planning on playing it, and if they are if they know of any good guilds set up that are mostly endgame PvE based. I certainly don't mind PvP, but PvE has always been more fun to me (thus why I played FFXI). If no one knows of any, would anyone here be interested in trying to start one up before the game gets released?

Demosthenes11

Re: Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Disappointed this thread wasn't about Conan O'brien

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Game looks tight as hell, hope the gameplay matches the graphics.

Thought about trying it. Might still try it depending on how I like Hellgate: London.

i like how the have the weapons.

No more click and go afk, you can swing your sword and stuff. Really neat stuff

For those of you who haven't heard much about the game, here's some quotes from the dev team about it:

Real Combat:

What is the Real Combat System?
    When fighting with a sword, an axe or other melee weapons in Age of Conan, you actually have to direct your weapons in certain directions yourself, in real-time. Whereas in other games of the genre you usually just have to target something and then click a “fight” button, in Age of Conan you have to perform the strikes yourself in one of six different directions. This makes battles much more interesting in terms of action, and you have a far greater control on how your character fights. With the unique targeting system you can also hit multiple enemies at once, so if you happen to slash your sword through two enemies standing next to each other, both of these will suffer damage. It is all, in one word, real.

That's great for melee fighters, but what about ranged combat?
    Players who enjoy fighting with ranged weapons will also experience the real combat system. Whereas in most games of the genre you will equip a bow, click a “Fire” button and then see your character fire the arrows automatically, in Age of Conan you will actually have to string the bow yourself, aim and fire manually as you would in a single-player game. This makes archery more demanding, but it also makes it incredibly much more exciting.
    Magic System:

How do you cast spells in the game?
    In Age of Conan we're introducing something called spellweaving. Spellweaving is the art of stringing together a series of spell to create one massive spell that will produce devastating and otherwise extreme results. Spellweaving is an art that will take skill to master, and it is very much a tactical and strategic part of the game that require planning and thinking to carry out.

What is spellweaving?
    Spellweaving is the art of combining multiple spells into one big spell. The player will start the spellweave by activating their spellweave ability. This places them in a trance-like state where they cannot move and the only actions they are allowed to perform are adding more components to the weave. Once in the spellweave the player can add as many spells into the weave as they can manage or want to. The maximum number of spells that can be called into a weave is dependant on the players level. Deactivating the ability will then cast the spell and produce the results.
    PvP/Seige Warfare:

Then what are battlekeeps?
    Battlekeeps are structures that players can build and maintain in the Border Kingdom. Throughout the Border Kingdom there is a limited amount of areas where battlekeeps can be built. Because of the limited amount of space, other guilds will most surely come and try to take it away from you or even destroy it completely through the use of siege engines such as catapults. By using collected resources such as iron, stone and wood, players can build upon these battlekeeps, constructing walls and even stables to house the cavalry. It is also possible to add computer-controlled guards to these.

But won’t only the large guilds have the manpower to own battlekeeps?
    Building, maintaining and defending a battlekeep do take a lot of resources and manpower, and it is not something every guild has the capacity to do. However, spread over the Border Kingdom you will find something we call towers which functions almost like mini-keeps that can be captured and held much easier by smaller guilds. These do not give the same benefits as the battlekeeps, but there will definitively be a rewarding venture to take control over these structures as well.

How can another guild capture your battlekeep or tower?
    We realize standing on guard twenty-four hours a day is no fun, so there will be specific periods when a battlekeep is open for attacks. An attacking guild will have to construct a war tent outside your battlekeep and you and your guild will have a limited amount of time to muster your forces and prepare your defense. The attacking guild will then have to bring down your structure by any means possible, both attacking with swords, horses, bows and axes, but also with siege engines.

Is there actually drunken fighting in the game?
    Yes, there are. Drunken brawling as we call it is a special type of PvP battle designed as a way to get everyone into player-versus-player, regardless of level, without having to risk going onto the battlefields. You will be able to go into a tavern, buy alcohol and get seriously drunk, but you have to be aware of the limits. Being drunk has obvious visual effects. The more you drink the more you stand, but the less chance you have of hitting! Your experience level and equipment plays no part in these fights, and it all depends on how well you hit, what you use as your weapon and how drunk you really are.
    This game seems amazingly badass to me. I don't want to have to wait 'til March for it

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Sounds cool but it's gonna just gonna be a bunch of people strafing, while swinging wildly like many third/first person melee/magic shooters. (Gunz, Jedi Knights, etc)

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I've had my eyes on this game for a while. Going to pick it up once released. I hope the game play doesn't fail.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

it sounds cool so i signed up for a slot in the beta, here's hoping right.

This game was originally planned to come out in January of '07 and has been pushed back numerous times.

god knows when they'll actually finish it, lol

I was originally hyped for it, then I saw all of the gameplay footage and the fact that you only have 2-3 attack animations and all of them look retarded kind of turned me off.

Seems like an ambitious 3D diablo kind of game

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I've been following this game for a couple years and will defintaly pick it up when it's released.

However, I think you'll be dissapointed or at least wont' be getting the most you can out of this game if you focus PvE. This is a PvP game and will favor that type of playstyle. I will be playing on a FFA PvP server. I recommend it to all.

Game starts F2P today after maintenance.

F2P FAQ

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Necro and a half over here

Word. Also didn't realize this was in general. lol

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Moved to Gaming.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

oh wow.. I saw this thread... was like, "isn't this an old game, why is there a new thread for it?" Clink link of first post and it goes to a dead webpage lol. Then look at date. Wasn't there another thread for this game? Could of sworn there was. Would still be as big of a necro lol.

And about F2P. I was bored a few months ago and decided to install AoC again to see how it had changed. Had to pay the monthly fee lol... I didn't last more then 5 hours before I logged out and uninstalled it again. Game looks terribly ugly even by WoW standards. Yeah it's more realistic, but its just ugly. Everything about it looks ugly and the combat feels just as clunky as rift's w/ how how animations look and feel.

I also didn't like the mature'ness or w/e you want to call it. Since its a rated M game the chat is absolutely terrible. people were swearing left and right, calling others faggots, whores, w/e they wanted to. People were making rape comments all over chat. It was just a huge turn off. It was like everyone was going out of their way to be as vulgar as possible

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I also didn't like the mature'ness or w/e you want to call it. Since its a rated M game the chat is absolutely terrible. people were swearing left and right, calling others faggots, whores, w/e they wanted to. People were making rape comments all over chat. It was just a huge turn off. It was like everyone was going out of their way to be as vulgar as possible
    I guess you could argue that it's based on a "barbarian" setting, so that wouldn't be out of place really. But definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

I was thinking of seeing what the f2p is like, I've never played it, just looked at some vids a little while ago. I did find the animations a little odd when in combat their feet would be moving to match the body movements but they were stationary so it was like moonwalk-fighting. And lots of object clipping...

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

If its F2P, I will be getting it. I wanted to play as a Guardian right off the back, but the game was in such bad shape that I wisely avoided it. Now I have a chance, and for free. Show me where to download.

http://ageofconan.com
    Should be able to just register and start DLing from that page.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Is it me or has there been a lot of MMOs going/have gone F2P this year alone?

Granted on the lot of them they've been out and matured for awhile, and perhaps done as a last resort to garner new player interest since I doubt people would pay $30-40 to 'try' and older MMO.