Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

THFs and Non-TP Burn Kirin

I've fought Kirin roughly 7-8 times in total now so I'm still learning. I don't have SAM leveled so I've been going THF/WAR for Beserk and Warcry w/ a meat build. I don't have any other jobs that I can bring to Kirin so I'm trying to utilize THF as best as I can with what I have.

I've researched the forums and the threads I've found so far mention TP burn Kirin runs benefit from THFs using their merited JA Feint to boost everyone's accuracy. Given the short time it usually takes these PTs to drop Kirin the 30 seconds of boosted accuracy is a relatively large percentage of the total time the fight lasts for.

However, the LS I do Kirin with does not do TP burn runs and I was wondering since our fights last ~30-45 minutes should I bother unlocking Feint or just continue meriting dagger? Assuming I didn't bother using Feint on the pets, I'd probably only get ~3 Feints off before Kirin went down. Will ~1.5 minutes of boosted accuracy for everyone be worth it in a 30-45min fight?

Thanks for any suggestions! :D

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: THFs and Non-TP Burn Kirin

I know Kirin is technically "end-game" for some... but this seems more like a newbie section question? Not sure but i'll try and help as if it was in the newbie section.

The answer is obviously to merit Feint. Feint is useful for many things, and I am sure you have done fights that don't include Sky or Kirin... right?

You've been misplacing hate since 03' you should know the answer to this; And you should've had capped dagger by now to.

bahamut2, meleeburn kirin, DL, anything you chainstun, etc, feint is hugely powerful because it allows your melees to no longer focus on accuracy but instead increasing pure damage (or for souleater drks, HP) thus dramatically increasing your damage output. even if you don't use it on kirin, feint is among the most potent tools in a thf's arsenal and should definitely be unlocked.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Feint is (arguably) the best cat2 JA in the game, Kirin or not.

Every THF should have it maxed.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Max feint out.
    even if you dont use thf in endgame it's useful because the recast matches the repop time on lurkers.
    That prettymuch eliminates any worries of losing a chain in a decent party.
    Now if only that thf guide on the wiki would say put feint to max no matter what or die instead of the "at least unlock it once then decide if you want more if you dont do endgame"

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

I'm kind of confused. How are you using a meat build on kirin? His evasion is nuts... I use sushi and still miss

Quote Originally Posted by Slott
    I'm kind of confused. How are you using a meat build on kirin? His evasion is nuts... I use sushi and still miss
    Feint drastically lowers the evasion of the mob when you use it...so

Banned.

BG Level

but he is asking if he should unlock Feint

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya

I think you misunderstood or didnt read thru the topic. Im sure by lookingg at his sig you could probably assume he knows wtf Feint is and does.

He is referring to the OP saying on their NON-TP burn runs he is using meat, which I agree is stupid b/c he is hard to hit with sushi, w/o feint and accuracy piled on.

To answer Slott's question, they are obiously using a rotation of 20 thiefs with Feint to keep his eva down so he can use meat.

And like previously mentioned you could EASILY argue Feint is the strongest tier2 JA, it really is gamebreaking on mobs you zerg, b2, kirin, kv, all sorts of dynamis stuff.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Something about having a Relic Dagger makes me think he knows what Feint does...

Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebs
    I've fought Kirin roughly 7-8 times in total now so I'm still learning.
    Thanks for any suggestions! :D
    Drop party. Find a comfortable spot and wait those 40 minutes until you get your TH invite. THF isn't going to do anything to a kited HNM. You would barely scratch it even if it stood still for you. Your linkshell would be much better off with someone who will actually do damage to it.

This advice is comming to you from a career mainjob THF. I can outparse Ridill WARs on mamools, but I know I cant do shit to an HNM.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

at least dexter and i are on the same wavelength lol

Ashira

Indeed merit Feint.

When timer's up, chase Kirin around til he stops long enough to cast a Stonega IV, use Feint with a big LS announce so all melees can go nuts for 30 seconds; hate should shift and he shoule stand still and possibly kill a melee, at which point you can probably get some sort of SA hit as well.

That's about the most you can do at this point, until you get TH+4 and/or Mandau and/or /SAM. I guess. I don't really play THF, I just ask questions. :D

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Toralin
    at least dexter and i are on the same wavelength lol
    fuck you for typing faster.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Yes, I'm not a retard. 30 seconds, what are you going to do for the other 5 and a half minutes til feint is back up? Whiff?

I didn't feel the need to reiterate maxing out feint when everyone else in the thread did. But using meat on kirin is kind of...well yeah.

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thats why you kill him in 30 seconds 8)

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thanks for the tips so far!

Why meat build? Tried sushi and also noticed how much I still missed. Noticed a lot of 0-hits too so I switched to meat and tossed my /NIN for /WAR. Always have a BRD in each PT with +acc +spd songs so I still manage to get TP decently enough. Usually 1-2 SAMs per PT too that toss out their TP as well. Never tried /WAR + sushi build. I'll give that a go this weekend.

Why haven't merited dagger yet and so forth? I did start in 2003, but deleted my char a year later. Didn't pick the game up again 'till a year later and even then played it sporatically the following year. Did a push after I came back from my overseas job and got a couple subs up, made some gil and got to 75 a few months ago. So, I don't have the experience/play time you're assuming.

Regarding kitting: Yeah, I drop the PT when they go into kitting mode (after the pets are dead). Once he does a long cast we zerg him with 2 PLD/NINs and a bunch of /THFs to plant hate. If they have any spots open they get 1-2 THFs in to help out with hate control and opening SCs. But, yeah, there obviously have been a few times where I just got sent in at the last 5% for TH.

Anyways, I'll be sure to unlock Feint. Thanks for the confimation!

Old Merits
    BG Level

Why is this in advanced? And yeah, you're probably better off meriting instead of going to Kirin if you don't have Feint or maxed dagger merits. Or just level another job.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Now if only that thf guide on the wiki would say put feint to max no matter what or die instead of the "at least unlock it once then decide if you want more if you dont do endgame"
    I'm fairly certain I put that in and someone changed it.

Why would you use sushi on Kirin? You'll hit more and...hit for 0.

What really matters is how your LS does Kirin. You don't need to tp burn it to make melees a bit more useful. If you have a blink tank that normally kites it, but occasionally stops then Feint is awesome for it. Tank/healers let everyone know when they're going to stop, you can prep Feint and everyone can burn Kirin for 30s and return to kiting. Feint works wonders for that playstyle so get it for sure.