+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my pc is(has been) fuxxed     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

my pc is(has been) fuxxed

so for awhile now my pc won't turn on, when i try to turn it on the power light blinks amber.

now i've checked my mobo for popped capacitors and char marks and there are none, i've tried replacing the hdd to see if that fixxed it with no luck. with my current knowledge the only other option is the psu and i'm wondering if i missed anything in my thoughts.

i'm asking cause i dont wanna replace the psu and find out it was something else all together cause i really can't afford it.

Re: my pc is(has been) fuxxed

It sounds a lot like the PSU. The only other thing I can think of it being is something odd with the motherboard. Every time I had to deal with that problem, though, it's been the PSU. But, like all other computer problems that would cost money to fix, I'd get at least a second opinion on it before going out to buy anything.

As for PSUs, I'd recommend a brand you know (I like Antec, personally) and get a cheaper one of those. Around $40 should net you a solid PSU if you don't need much power from it. Just some thoughts, though, in case it helps.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

yea i was gonna go with an antec, my previous was only 350w and it's a beefy computer so i figure it was running on redline powerwise most of the time...

that and the fact i didn't shut it off for like a year straight led to it's demise shorter than it should have i spose.

thanks for the advice

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Caprese Dionir
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I had 2 machines with this problem in the last week, one was a bad PCI wireless card, and the other was a bad stick of ram. Bad connections or faulty hardware can sometimes cause power shorts, I'd at least play around with the ram combo and see if that matters.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

buy a psu tester for like 99 cents on ebay and check. It can be the motherboard.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

i checked the memory, removed one, removed the other and seated them in different spots with no luck still.

previous to the computer not turning on the psu's fan wasn't working at all (week[s] timewise)... that's also why i was leaning towards it being the problem

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

From your descriptions, i'm almost positive its your power supply.

Never heard of a power light blinking amber though. I have had two power supply's die on me before, one was from an electrical surge through the socket (which took out the graphics card and motherboard as well), and the other one just died.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Definitely power supply. Amber light equals borked voltage

blinking amber is something older dells tend to do when they die

Relic Shield
    BG Level

thanks to everyone who suggested psu problems. you were correct, as i am posting from my computer again!

i ended up getting a 430 watt 7 amp antec truepower trio for 100 at best buy.

*forgive the necro, but i figure people who replyed deserve one in return from me

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Good Job on resolving your problems,

keep your reciepts handy and hope you don't have as bad luck with Antec supplies as I have had (2/3 dead).