+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tales of Symphonia 2     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Tales of Symphonia 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBYluU6PUJk <---Trailer

not sure if people are aware but just posting it. I loved the original and I hope the second one can live up to its to its reputation.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Re: Tales of Symphonia 2

Known about it for a while, meh@it. (Actual name is Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk)

Tales game spinoffs are really lame, I wish they'd just go and keep making awesome new games instead of spinning off old stuff

The fact that you only get 2 characters and fill up the rest with recruiting monsters is really lame, imo. Tales games have always had lots of character (6~8) and GREAT character development, along with the battle system it was one of the strengths of the series. But then again this is just a spin-off so meh.

At least the last I read up on this game it sounded like it was going to be the "spin-off" type.. incase I'm wrong, if I'm wrong someone please prove me wrong

The next "main" installment in the series is for the DS, Tales of Innocence:

Old Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p6dtfoCDO8
    lol JP TV commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kWJS9a4ug
    TGS trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8y86m0fzF0 couldn't find a subbed version

There's more stuff on it on gametrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25540.html look from there

anyway imo:

-lowering to 3 chars in battle = meh
    -going to the DS for the main series feels like a downgrade. the wii spinoff should be ds, and the main one should be on wii
    -playable character with guns = win
    -most characters look kinda ugly <.<

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I like the idea of having only 2 characters actually... hell, in ToS I had to play the game solo for it to be a true challenge.
    I probably won't ever recruit unless I have to and go through the game like that on my first playthrough.

Then I'll try a solo game, and see what other challenge games I can beat after that. (Assuming I ever get the game)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Sounds like the only gripe is that it could possibly be a little different from the standard Tales of affair.

While I am skeptical about the game in general (Symphonia was overrated IMO), I think its a bit unfair to judge it negatively before even playing it, just because its different. Reminds me of the Suikoden Fans who were disappointed at how Suikoden 3 was different before playing it only later to discover how awesome it was, in its own right (admittedly I was in that category ).

The 2 characters thing isn't necessarily a problem either and certainly doesn't mean less development of the Symphonia world and its characters. Infact with the prequel I'd expect it to have moreso than the norm. Guardian's Crusade was a great game that only had two characters the whole way through, for example.

Anyways personally, I will probably get it. I don't expect it to be as good as Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Phantasia or Tales of Destiny 1&2 but I'm sure at the very least it will expand and enhance the Tales of Symphonia storyline and universe (which evidently I didn't rate that much better than Tales of Legendia).

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm not complaining like "bah only 2 characters, lame"

I'm complaining that one of the strong point of tales games has always been character development. ALWAYS.

Limiting your party to just two characters is directly limiting potential character development, which is sad to see because it's been one of the series' staples. =/

And about the Suikoden 3 thing: Yeah, the changes were a big turn off and had 3 rated really low in my scale, even below 4 at one point. Suikoden had always been simple gameplay and awesome storyline, and Suikoden 3 went and had that lame pair thing that complicated and limited the battle system, which was extremely lame. Doing away with the world map in favor of huge areas you gotta go through everytime you go somewhere was also a no-no. After all that though, Suikoden 3 stuck true to the series and had a solid storyline, that is good after you let go of the things you hate about it (Lucccccccc((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    I'm not complaining like "bah only 2 characters, lame"

I'm complaining that one of the strong point of tales games has always been character development. ALWAYS.

Limiting your party to just two characters is directly limiting potential character development, which is sad to see because it's been one of the series' staples. =/
    While I agree to an extent that many of the Tales of games were notable mostly due to character development, this wasn't ALWAYS the case. The original Tales of Symphonia for example, I always felt was waffer-thin for a good few characters. Raine springs to mind.

Tales of Legendia was almost ALL character development, devoting half of the entire game to developing them, but was generally poorly recieved. I always liked it, mind.

The two main characters thing is disappointing, but I am sure they will be well developed (moreso than a conventionally large group) and will not take away from what most people will buy this game for: Learning what happens to Lloyd&Co and the world itself after the events of ToS.

And about the Suikoden 3 thing: Yeah, the changes were a big turn off and had 3 rated really low in my scale, even below 4 at one point. Suikoden had always been simple gameplay and awesome storyline, and Suikoden 3 went and had that lame pair thing that complicated and limited the battle system, which was extremely lame. Doing away with the world map in favor of huge areas you gotta go through everytime you go somewhere was also a no-no. After all that though, Suikoden 3 stuck true to the series and had a solid storyline, that is good after you let go of the things you hate about it (Lucccccccc((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
    My point exactly, Suikoden 3 was very different from the previous, at first I was extremely disappointed that it lacked what made the previous two so good. Then I suddenly realised, hang on, this has a tremendous indepth and quite possibly unrivaled storyline, letting you see all aspects from all sides. Suikoden 3 was (and still is) very different compared to the rest, but its a tremendous game and up there, at least in my opinion.

Not to say I think this will be as good as the top Tales of games (can't decide between Abyss, Phantasia or Destiny 2/Eternia XD), but I don't think it will necessarily be bad just because its different.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm not saying it's gonna be bad or anything, but it just feels like it will already be overall weaker because they'll only be developing 2 characters, not a full team of them. (That and the fact that this game is being treated as a spin-off.. meh, at least it's looking like a very improved spin-off compared to the past ones)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reapz Sjc
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I am excited for it, loved the first one!