BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Re: NFL Week 8 Picks

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Unless Henry rapes another 16 year old.
    Out of all the people who were suspended by the NFL(8 games or more), he was the only one who didn't appeal. He hasn't made any mistakes lately and he's looking to help his team get to the playoffs in a close division. He knows that if he makes one mistake, he's gone, and most likely for good.

(Excuse my homer-ism)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango
    Exactly. Mora threw his famous "playoffs!!?, you kidding me!!??" fit vs the Panthers if I recall correctly. Panthers ftw. Unless Methuselah aka lolTesteverde plays.
    It was a loss to San Francisco.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Playoffs??? What you talkin' about Playoffs?! You kiddin me?!! Playoffs?!! I just hope we can win a game.

I loved that speech, lol.

Numbers don't mean shit when it comes to HOF. Half the people in there have more INTs than TDs. Ever taken the time to look, oh off the top of my head, Namath or Bradshaw's numbers?

Joe Namath(Regarded as one of the greatest players ever)Career Total

TDs: 173
    INts: 220
    QB Rating: 65.5

Edit- Lets examine some more:

Bart Starr:

TDs: 152
    Ints: 138
    Rating: 80.5

Johnny Unitas:
    TDs: 290

Ints: 253

Rating: 78.2
    You realize that the defense could tackle the WRs at the line of scrimmage back then right? The passing game today is very different then it was back then.

Don't forget how important in Ben's year that Plax and Hines were (that was the year they both got over 1000 yards) and bailed him out big time. He has been a product of a great system, and I still say evades sacks as good as anyone in the NFL.
    Plax wasn't on the team when they won the superbowl.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by scrockstar
    Numbers don't mean shit when it comes to HOF. Half the people in there have more INTs than TDs. Ever taken the time to look, oh off the top of my head, Namath or Bradshaw's numbers?

Joe Namath(Regarded as one of the greatest players ever)Career Total

TDs: 173
    INts: 220
    QB Rating: 65.5

Edit- Lets examine some more:

Bart Starr:

TDs: 152
    Ints: 138
    Rating: 80.5

Johnny Unitas:
    TDs: 290

Ints: 253

Rating: 78.2
    You realize that the defense could tackle the WRs at the line of scrimmage back then right? The passing game today is very different then it was back then.

This is very true. You could clothes line, hold, hit people in the helmet to helmet and basically assault someone down the field without being penalized; including the quarterback. Check out youtube or better yet, check out the HoF section on Madden 08 for old clips of legendary players and watch the sheer brutality, its fucking mind boggling.

QB's back then would get a head shots from players that are Roy Williams or Sean Talyor-esque type of players of their day.Even then they were expected to get up and continue the rest of the game. You cant look too much at Brady's numbers and Starr's numbers. If you touch a receiver after 5 yards its an automatic penalty nowadays on top of finding yourself without a job the next week. Why do you think it weird nowadays hearing about how "Physical" a tems defense is(i.e. the Bears)? Because its rare in this day in time, compared solely to the past.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane
    Nothing a player can do 2 years into the pros merits HoF discussion.

Maybe it's just me.

It's not like he's having 2 back-to-back Tom Brady seasons.
    Tom Brady never got HoF discussion until recently. His stats were never "HoF" stellar and he's been overlooked on the probowl ballots plenty of years too IIRC.

I don't think Vince Young deserves to be considered a shoe in for the Hall of Fame just yet but he's on track if he continues to get better.
    He has 3 Superbowl rings. 2 of those he won MVP in. And he's been in 3 Pro Bowls. Think Brady is a shoe-in.
    Before two years ago Tom Brady wasn't really a shoe-in, but more of a wait and see. Phil Simms won 2 superbowls and an Superbowl MVP and had multiple Pro Bowl apperences too but he's still not in the HoF either.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/335357.html

Fucking John Fox just named Testeverde as the starter for Sunday versus the Colts. Carr is still having tightness in his back from that minor compressed spine fracture he suffered vs the Saints. Fucking old man is going to blow it, now maybe these fucking Carolina hicks will see the "Real" Vinny Sunday and get off this "I heart Vinny" binge they have been on since beating Rattay and the Cardinals.

Guess what game I wont be watching this weekend. I still say an 80% Carr is better than a 84 year old, washed up but I beat the Leinart less, Warner less, Bolden less Cardinals so i'm the second coming of ...... (Cant think of anyone that played pre Testeverde to compare him to.) Hell even Matt Moore is better than this old douche bag. I'm angry and I think now is a good time to pick up a smoking habit.

Fucking John Fox just named Testeverde as the starter for Sunday versus the Colts. Carr is still having tightness in his back from that minor compressed spine fracture he suffered vs the Saints. Fucking old man is going to blow it, now maybe these fucking Carolina hicks will see the "Real" Vinny Sunday and get off this "I heart Vinny" binge they have been on since beating Rattay and the Cardinals.

Guess what game I wont be watching this weekend. I still say an 80% Carr is better than a 84 year old, washed up but I beat the Leinart less, Warner less, Bolden less Cardinals so i'm the second coming of ...... (Cant think of anyone that played pre Testeverde to compare him to.) Hell even Matt Moore is better than this old douche bag. I'm angry and I think now is a good time to pick up a smoking habit.
    Really?

I think he's a good backup. Gives you a better change to win than does Carr. Manages the game better and has a stronger arm. Carolina will lose by 20+ no matter who is playing QB. Just hope no one gets injured this week.

Ridill
    BG Level

Guess what game I wont be watching this weekend. I still say an 80% Carr is better than a 84 year old, washed up but I beat the Leinart less, Warner less, Bolden less Cardinals so i'm the second coming of ...... (Cant think of anyone that played pre Testeverde to compare him to.)

Dough Flutie taking the Chargers to the playoffs comes to mind.

Oh, also-- the biggest thing that they allowed back then was the earhole smack. Corner playing tight man, soon as the ball is hiked WHAM open palm smack directly over the earhole. Ringing, disorientation, yada yada, really pleasant sensations all around.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

It doesn't matter that the rules have changed, but it should. It goes back to what I've already said. Those for him will say, "Look he has better career numbers than Johnny U." It will help him out regardless of the rules changing.

Better question- Will Warner(sp?) make it to the HOF?

He better not.

He's had two great years (99 and 01). That's it.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Again as someone stated before. The age of the QB/WR relationship has changed drastically since the days of Joe, and Unitas. If we put them into the system we have today at their prime, I'm sure they too could show some pretty big numbers like Warner has on occassion.

My thoughts on Warner's chance for the HoF are slim at best. Definitely not first ballot. He's had a couple good years, the Super Bowl and all that.. but he hasn't carried it across the years. He's got two amazing weapons in Boldin/Fitz, plus Edge at the running game.

With Boldin back, and Warner feeling somewhat better, I think he'll play a little better this week. As far as Testes and the Panthers go, man I don't know. He reminds me of a football version of Julio Franco in the MLB. He's like 90 years old and still trying to play.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by RakEx

Really?

I think he's a good backup. Gives you a better change to win than does Carr. Manages the game better and has a stronger arm. Carolina will lose by 20+ no matter who is playing QB. Just hope no one gets injured this week.
    Testeverde sucks. Ever heard his name synonymous with any sort of HoF discussion? He has longevity going for him and thats about it. Carr coming in is in the same situation ad Delhomme , who was Aaron Books and Todd Baumans back up, until signing with Carolina in 2003. His counterpart (Testaverde) was sucking it up with the Jets, Cowboys, back to the Jets then with the Pats and now Carolina.

Maybe its me, but I am not inclined to believe that being a journeyman over the span of your 20+ year career does not equate to success. I don't think any teams like the Browns releases a Tim Couch, the Bears dumping a Cade McNown or the Bengals crapping out a KiJana Carter because they are good or decent players. Does Vinny have a strong arm? Absolutely, but how does that equate any NFL team into wins on Sunday? Wasn't Jeff George's arm strength what made made the Colts draft him # 1 over all in the draft? How'd that work out for the Colts and Mr. George? What about Akili Smith from Oregon? He could throw the ball a country mile. Dare I mention the name Ryan Leaf? If you recall there was an actual debate and suspense over drafting Leaf or Manning that year.

My point? Arm strength means jack shit to anyone that knows anything about football. Being an average Vet gives you what kind of an advantage again? I mean if you suck you suck. 2 pro bowls in 21 years? Again, the numbers don't lie. Vinny sucks and I personally do hope the Panthers tank. We got rid of Dan LOLHenning last year and John Fox is on his way out so personally I hope he rides this old horse out into the sunset.

They both can GTFO of Charlotte for all I care.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama
    As far as Testes and the Panthers go, man I don't know. He reminds me of a football version of Julio Franco in the MLB. He's like 90 years old and still trying to play.

I know

Whyyyyyyy!!?? /facepalm

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Basically the moral of the story is this - if you're in a fierce argument about whether a slightly injured David Carr, or a 44-year old Vinny Testaverde is going to start vs. the undefeated Colts this week, your team has already lost.

At least seeing if Vinny plays well is a decent story, since he's old. Plus there is suspense about whether his hip will break when he gets sacked. Both of these make me want Vinny in there - way more interesting.

Carolina is going to lose either way, might as well give Carr another week to rest and recover.

Two pro bowls in 20 years is infinitely more than Carr will have in his 10 or so year career. Which will be 0.

Ive just seen VInny win many a big games. He knows how to win.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm not pro Carr as much as I am Anti Methuselah. Testeverde still sucks, no matter how you slice it. If he is so good why cant he hold a job? To all you Testeverde defenders, sign him to your fantasy team and see how that works out. Sorry if I seem anal, but this is my team, and decisions like this really chap my ass.

They will lose, sure, but why give Vinny the nod. My point was over his 20 year career he has accomplished absolutely nothing noteworthy. We would be better served letting the 3rd string rookie Matt Moore get reps, the end result will inevitably be the same. I'd like to see reactions if Shanahan were to bench Cutler for Vinny, or if Pennington were benched for Vinny as opposed to putting Clemons in as starter.

I'm hurting here!

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane
    Plus there is suspense about whether his hip will break when he gets sacked. Both of these make me want Vinny in there - way more interesting.
    That made me lol. You see, thats reasoning that I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Don't forget how important in Ben's year that Plax and Hines were (that was the year they both got over 1000 yards) and bailed him out big time. He has been a product of a great system, and I still say evades sacks as good as anyone in the NFL.
    Plax wasn't on the team when they won the superbowl.
    No shit sherlock lol

I was talking about the year before.. his rookie year. He played with Plax for one year and always said they were very close.

I need someone to answer this in 8 minutes!

Should I start Jones Drew, who is questionable, or kenny watson vs. a steelers D.

Help!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast