Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Repeating AF quests for the second time possible?

I'm sorry to be posting this, but I really cannot find any reliable information on my specific problem anywhere. So I thought I'd ask the people that browse these forums if anyone had any concrete information on this.

Basically, I completed Smn AF quests, dropped the pieces, restarted the quests via the NPC in lower jeuno and only completed the head and leg pieces. The quest itself is now technically completed again. I never bothered w/ the coffer pieces, which include the feet, which is what I now want to upgrade to AF+1. But I need the AF. I am currently on pld AF quests now, so I'm trying to complete that. But the npc in lower jeuno only offers me to repeat nin and whm af quests now, not smn. So what exactly do I have to do to go about repeating smn yet again? Or can I even do this? Any feedback is welcome please. Thank you very much.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: Repeating AF quests for the second time possible?

You need to completely finish the AF quests (all coffers, etc) before you can restart them again.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You can only reset those AF's for which you completed the set. So it appears you completed initially when you leveled, reset memory to get a couple new pieces, and wish to reset again? Finish it all in order to do that.

Re dropping: (Pet Peeve and the source of most mis-information I find) You don't need to drop any gear if you have the set stored with the NPC. The absolute best way to do AF's over is to just drop the AF1 weapon, then go request the piece(s) you need whilst keeping the entire original set in storage. Then you turn your newly re-quested piece in with the NPC and never have to worry about dropping anything.

If you want to replace AF2: do AF1 and go get AF2.
    If you want to replace AF3: do AF1, do AF2, and go do AF3
    If you want Gloves: do AF1, open (don't complete) AF2* then talk to Guslam on that job and go get your gloves item (on any job) and fight DS.
    If you want other coffer items: Do AF1, open AF2* then go farm your keys and Bypass Guslam. For actual items open coffer on that job.

*opening the AF2 quest may not always be required. when I did bard again guslam ignored me until I did this.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

To add on to above poster, since it looked a bit confusing the way it was worded (at least to me)

Clearing AF1 (weapon) lets you take on the next quest in the series: AF2.

Opening the AF2 quest will let you:
    -Open your coffers for the non-quested pieces
    -Open the Glove Quest

To get AF3 though, you'll have to complete AF2, which then lets you take on the next quest in the series: AF3.

(If anyone tells you you need to open gloves or do gloves before you can do coffers or af3, they're wrong)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

you can't open any coffers until you start gloves quest.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by yrpaine
    Yeah, you need to hear the line from Guslam about the various pieces of armor that were lost during the Crystal War when you start the Glove quest before you will get AF from coffers. Otherwise you are in for a load of disappointment.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Yeah, you need to hear the line from Guslam about the various pieces of armor that were lost during the Crystal War when you start the Glove quest before you will get AF from coffers. Otherwise you are in for a load of disappointment.
    I reset my RDM af memory about a week ago, and 2 days ago picked up my boots from the CN. Went straight to Oztroja from there, having not talked to Guslam since...um...whenever I did my WAR gloves...long while. Got a key, found a coffer not long after, and got the Warlock's Tabard. So talking to him isn't a prerequisite

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Eraphiel
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I reset my RDM af memory about a week ago, and 2 days ago picked up my boots from the CN. Went straight to Oztroja from there, having not talked to Guslam since...um...whenever I did my WAR gloves...long while. Got a key, found a coffer not long after, and got the Warlock's Tabard. So talking to him isn't a prerequisite
    Interesting... Do you have any open glove quests? This runs contrary to everything that we have known about AF quests since the game started.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Standing in Temenos atm, and current quest log doesn't have Borgherz's [fill in the adjective] Hands among it, unless it counts as a repeat and doesn't show on 'current quests.' Reset DRG af memory, never talked to Guslam, reset RDM, and here we are. I'll check when I'm out of Limbus if I have a moment.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Glove quest has always been separate, the only requirement for opening coffers is starting AF2.

Yes, I have proof:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 112651.jpg
    me starting RDM AF1 for the first time ever

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 113045.jpg
    opening af2 quest, I did nothing more related with this quest

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 121739.jpg
    opening oztroja coffer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 122131.jpg
    starting glove quest

at first I was hoping you guys were being sarcastic and just messing with me, but if not, seriously, the old wiki was wrong, and it's still wrong, alla and whoever else was wrong too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Glove quest has always been separate, the only requirement for opening coffers is starting AF2.

Yes, I have proof:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 112651.jpg
    me starting RDM AF1 for the first time ever

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 113045.jpg
    opening af2 quest, I did nothing more related with this quest

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 121739.jpg
    opening oztroja coffer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/ ... 122131.jpg
    starting glove quest

at first I was hoping you guys were being sarcastic and just messing with me, but if not, seriously, the old wiki was wrong, and it's still wrong, alla and whoever else was wrong too.
    Like I said, it means that everything that we knew about the coffers was wrong from NA release. The stuff about the quests on Alla was from JP sources. It's just strange that something that long-standing was wrong. (But really, who would want to chance losing a coffer key to try to disprove something that was taken as fact?)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

that doesn't make much sense, i'm at work now so i haven't looked at the screenshots, but you can be working on different sets of AF and then talk to guslam to choose which AF is in the coffers. you shouldn't be able to have more than 1 set of AF ready in the coffers from what I understand. making AF in coffers based on guslam not AF2 quest. unless you can have coffers ready for more than 1 job.