+ Reply to Thread
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

switching HDD to a new Ps2

well long long story short my ps2 won't run/scan any dvd/game disk i put in it, it's like i don't put any disk in my ps2 at all. (i use the Old fat ps2 not the new one)

my main question is, is my ps2 dead for good? or is there Any way whatsoever to fix it? (i try getting a ps2 cleaner but it won't even read the disk cleaner cs) ;;

i don't really care about losing my ps2 because my ps3 can play all my games but i play ffxi on my ps2, and i NEED that ps2 for the new WOG disk comming out.
    because only the OLD ps2 can support the HDD, Not the new ps2;;;;;;;;;;;

my choices are pretty much go on ebay and buy a old ps2 or buy a xbox360 (which i really don't wanna do and waste the money)
    so again.. is there any way i can fix my ps2 lens? or maybe a way i can fix this problem or some cheaper way of doing it >.>;;; any help would be great, thx

EDIT: i got a new ps2 (to replace my old ps2 that i play ffxi on)but now i'm having trouble installing it,

it won't go to playonline. and i deleted "your saves" dunno if thats ok or not <<; and not sure if i need my HDD utliz disk or not or just the playonline installing disk

i erased "your saves" item (was that ok?) and i just uninstalled/deleted Playonline, do i need to delete/uninstall FFXI & Terea Master also?

also all i have is FFXI / TERA MASTER / PLAYONLINE starter disks.

do i need my HDD utilze disk? or do i just need my playonline starter disk?

Re: (old) Ps2 disk Error;;

Have you tried taking the cover off your PS2 then removing the lens cover and cleaning the lens with a Q-Tip? Just need a tiny eyeglass screwdriver and a regular one for the outside screws, a few Qtips and some alcohol.

It may fix it but it all depends on what the problem is, whether it be "dead" or the lens just needs to be cleaned. It's worth a shot nothing bad can come of it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

or just install ffxi to your ps3 if the ps2 wont read the new disc

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

theres a difference between disc read error and not reading discs. chances are the motor isnt spinning properly which has nothing to do with that link you posted.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by izembo
    theres a difference between disc read error and not reading discs. chances are the motor isnt spinning properly which has nothing to do with that link you posted.
    yea, i'm not getting a "disk error" like... nothing comes up at all. (like nothing pops up at all even with the CD in the ps2)

but i will still try to do what the link says and hope it works, it might be the same thing (disk error or nothing comming up at all)
    thx again for the help guys and lets hope this works ^^;

and yeah i could install it to my ps3, but i honestly don't wanna play ffxi on my ps3 bad enough i leave my ps2 on all day for ffxi >.>;;

This has a low chance of happening but it doesnt hurt to try. The first few version PS2s had really weak lasers and I believe there was some sort of lawsuit about it so Sony did free repairs for many of these PS2s. You could try calling them up and see if they will fix it for free if its not too late.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

or scour ebay for a replacement ps2 dvd drive, should be fairly cheap

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

thought i would update this thread >>;

my ps2 broke and i just got a new ps2 and just put the HDD in the ps2

i erased "your saves" item (was that ok?) in the browser area...dunno if i should of did that ><;

i just uninstalled/deleted Playonline, do i need to delete/uninstall FFXI & Terea Master also? (it didn't delete tera master when i deleted playonline)

also all i have is FFXI / TERA MASTER / PLAYONLINE starter disks.

do i need my HDD utilze disk? or do i just need my playonline starter disk?

Re: switching HDD to a new Ps2

I was actually about to post a similar problem.

I went to install my WotG software today but my PS2 wasn't recognizing that I had a disk in there (note: not a disk error). I only use my PS2 for FFXI so I haven't had to have a disk read since ToAU. I'll admit I don't clean it like I should, so it was a bit dusty. So I went out and got a disk meant to clean the lens (Phillips is the brand I believe) but it won't recognize that disk either, or any regular DVD.

So what I'm asking is....what exactly is wrong? Is it a motor malfunction or has my ps2 bit the dust (it'll still play FFXI fine, just not read any kind of disk.)

Also, would it be possible to take out my HDD and put it onto my roommate's ps2, install the software, reinstall my HDD onto my ps2 and continue like nothing has happened or will that even work?

You need the HD Utility Disc to put the Harddrive into a different PS2 and as far as I know you can't install everything on your friends PS2 then change it to yours. Once the HD is setup for a PS2 that's it, only way to change is to reformat it again with the HD Utility Disc.

Found a PS2 at my Dad's house when I went for Thanksgiving dinner. Got home and (miraculously) found my unopened HDD disk in my nightstand drawer (it had been in there for 2+ years without me remembering it.) Took 4 hours to reformat/install HDD, install PlayOnline, FFXI, RoZ, CoP, ToAU, and WotG. Then an additional 2+ hour update that I left running while I slept, only to wake up and find it had been interrupted in the night. 17,619 files taking forever

Moral of the story: Hope your PS2 doesn't suck balls ever again.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Kinda have the same problem, my PS2 cant read disc, its Kaput! i tried many methods even sent it to a guy i know that fixes consoles and stuff like that and he couldnt do shit.

So i tried to put the HDD in a different Ps2 thinking that i could Install WotG and put back the whole thing back in my old ps2, found out that the HDD is bound to the machine and u need to reformat to make it work.

So is there anyway for me to install this, and still be able to play on my old broken Ps2? (except tearing apart my friend PS2 so i can plug the disc reader on my old machine)

edit: meh screw that ~_~ ill just try to find a cheap ass old fat ps2 that still read discs. probably can find that for cheap.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

gamestop has on sale for 59.99 this weekend