Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PLD noob question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

PLD noob question

When should I lose the VIT rings? 24 at the moment.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Re: PLD noob question

jelly ring (63) if you can get one and hercules ring (66). woodsmans at 40 are nice too.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I've still got a woodsman from SAM (sold the other when I got Raja), is it worth buying another one or just go vit/woodsman?

Until 50-60 there really isn't a problem with VIT equipment(Nor with DD gear for that matter, either works fine), but after that you need to put out your share of the damage to be a contribution to a tp burn party. When you get there, a second woodsman is great but wood/jelly is a nice combination to. Don't feel like doing the math for you, but if rajas saves a swing to 100 tp its not a terrible option either.

Atlasion

Go for woodsman/rajas or woodsman. Before that either VIT or those enchanment rings would be good.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

jelly ring (63) if you can get one and hercules ring (66).
    I'm sorry, but I don't think Hercules' Ring is a valid full time ring for plds. As far as I know the latent kicks in at 50%, and not a lot of healers are going to let you sit at 50% in an xp party. So except when you are under half life, you are full timing a ring that is +3 emnity, which to me doesn't seem worth.

I don't have pld leveled, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't understand why I see so many plds with this ring, to me its a macro/solo piece.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

In any role where you are tanking I dont see why you wouldn't want the enmity from Herc ring, its going to do more than 4 vit ever would.

You could swap it for a woodsman but that depends on the rest of your gear/food and what your 'role' in the party is.

Quote Originally Posted by ferigor
    I'm sorry, but I don't think Hercules' Ring is a valid full time ring for plds. As far as I know the latent kicks in at 50%, and not a lot of healers are going to let you sit at 50% in an xp party. So except when you are under half life, you are full timing a ring that is +3 emnity, which to me doesn't seem worth.

I don't have pld leveled, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't understand why I see so many plds with this ring, to me its a macro/solo piece.
    Bolded the best part.

Herc ring is best emnity ring/earring slot you can get short of sattva, the latent effect is just extra. Jelly/herc is great if your fullfiling a standard pld/war role. If you are fighting less hard hitting mobs you can switch to DD rings and start puting up a little damage and eventually go full pld DD when you get to that lvl. At 75 I wear satva/herc for most things, save a few special occassions (mermans ring for magic damage macro, jelly for straight melee). Dont have a defending ring yet, else that would be there.

As for llv 24->herc/whatever, there are a few good options. Unyielding ring is nice, mermans ring, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenmonk
    jelly ring (63) if you can get one and hercules ring (66). woodsmans at 40 are nice too.
    If you're fighting anything that doesn't have some form of magical attack, this is true. However, I can't think of hardly a single mob in the game that this would apply to. Jelly Ring is pretty pointless. I got mine and put it in storage a week later, never to be heard from again.

Yeah, since you don't have PLD leveled, you may not want to give PLD advice. Hercules' Ring is about one of the best rings for tanking PLDs. If you're going for a DD setup, don't use this, obvioiusly. But Hercules' is a pretty great ring simply because it's one of the only two rings which can equip you with such a yummy hate increase. Sattva being the other, obviously. Tanking big stuff, endgame, I almost always use Herc & Sattva combo. In exp/merit situations, I use accuracy/STR rings. Hell, even in Limbus, Dynamis, and other smaller endgame things.

To the OP specifically:
    The biggest mistake most Paladins make when exping up is thinking that a great sword is a great weapon for exp PT. It's fun to play with, but don't tank with it. Please.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i used str rings till i could use jaeger ring and mermaid's ring on pld., then swap'd out jaeger for the lvl 50 one with +7 def +3 vit +3 dex. that worked well for me till 66. At 66 i would use mermaid/herc ring until you have something better to rep the mermaid. then i beat maat and haven't touched pld since <.<; thought with my homam i probably should/will eventually.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by riddaraan
    If you're fighting anything that doesn't have some form of magical attack, this is true. However, I can't think of hardly a single mob in the game that this would apply to. Jelly Ring is pretty pointless. I got mine and put it in storage a week later, never to be heard from again
    it was great for exp back in 04 when i lvl'd pld, the more i think about it you're right, i wouldnt put that shit on in ToAU camps 9/10x.

Atlasion

Do not listen to this person. Herc Ring is great for PLD. I use it full time along with Shadow Ring. The only alternatives I'd use over it are Defending or Sattva, and Sattva isn't even that much better (I chose Rajas over it for my 75 WAR).

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Hercules ring is the shit, yo!

I've had a rule of thumb to start working more towards a DD-oriented build, and less towards a def/vit build once you hit Aht Urghan areas.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Mermaid Ring(43) is also a good option if you don't have Sattva or are too low to equip Hercules.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

l o fucking l.

considering alot of PLDs use Herc at 75, you sir would be incorrect. I personally use Herc/BQR, since no Sattva/Shadow/Defending or anything of that sort.

I never used my Jelly, tossed it out actually, because although the -5% Phys is nice, most mobs I fought seemed to have bad magic attacks and it would have hurt more then help. (ie, gob bomb toss, crawler fire breath, etc) I would stay away from the Jelly Ring and use either BQR(doesnt actually increase fire dmg, you just wont resist much) at 57, Mermaid at 43 or some form of Melee ring, +acc or rajas(if no sattva).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

If you're fighting anything that doesn't have some form of magical attack, this is true. However, I can't think of hardly a single mob in the game that this would apply to. Jelly Ring is pretty pointless. I got mine and put it in storage a week later, never to be heard from again.
    Yes, -5% damage on the 10 melee swings and 50% chance of a physical ws is totally not worth 5% more damage on a magical attack. Unless you're fighting say, Eruca's where Incinerate can one-shot you if you're not topped off in hp there's really no loss in using the jelly ring. When I was exping pld (before ToAU) in Bibiki Bay my ws macro swapped in +str rings so I just hit those when Bomb Toss was coming, and voila, I had -5% damage taken and no +5% magic taken. If I had kept Jelly in full time I bet I would've died just as many times (0) and not been any more of a burden on mp. Saying -5% for 90% of damage taken is pointless because of +5% on 10% of damage taken is foolish.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

To the OP specifically:
    The biggest mistake most Paladins make when exping up is thinking that a great sword is a great weapon for exp PT. It's fun to play with, but don't tank with it. Please.
    Don't worry, I had no intention of touching Gswd until 70+ in parties. Even then I'm in two minds.

Thanks for the input guys.

Atlasion

I never bothered to get a Jelly ring. I can see it having some use in exp, but you're probably better off going for DD rings.

I can't see it having any use for endgame. I can think of no mob where I'd happily equip +5% magic damage taken (most damage type a PLD should be taking on HNMs is magical damage)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasion
    I never bothered to get a Jelly ring. I can see it having some use in exp, but you're probably better off going for DD rings.

I can't see it having any use for endgame. I can think of no mob where I'd happily equip +5% magic damage taken (most damage type a PLD should be taking on HNMs is magical damage)
    ToAU 44!

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hi2u Colibri, unless Pecking Flurry is magical all of a sudden.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast