+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV

So just bought this game for ps3, did the start part, chose Imperial and Warrior. The game itself seems very large, and I was just wanting to get some info from someone who has played through it before I continue on.

Any recommendations on race and job? Usually I like to play as a magic related job...but I also figure maybe playing thru it on Imperial/Warrior may be good to start.

Already item capactity is a huge thing, what items should I be always picking up/ using? Raising alchemy skill by using certain items is good to lvl up?

Any quick/easy ways to lvl up skills or make money that will help alot during the game?

Thanks for any responses

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Re: Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV

Warriors are a pretty easy class to play for a first run-through..if you plan on doing EVERYTHING in the game, you'll likely end up making multiple characters, so you can always make a mage-type class after you've had enough with your warrior..It's been a while so I don't exactly remember what to custom-class a mage-type to though..it also depends on a lot of factors such as if you'd want to be a hybrid mage, a mostly magic-only or what not type of class. The Custom Class system adds so much damn customizability to Oblivion it's just nuts.

For item capacity, a general rule I personally follow is that if the item isn't worth 2x the gold as it is weight, don't pick it up. Like for example if something weighed 50 and sold for 100-110, I'd grab it; whereas if it weighed 50 and sold for 48 or so, screw it. It usually worked pretty well for me; of course there's those certain situations where you've gotta diss that rule, and someone probably has a better general rule for that then I, but hey, it works pretty well.

The best way to make money early would be to go to the imperial city arena and start fighting stuff there..It's a good way to learn how to fight well as the tactics the mobs use there are pretty close to the tactics mobs use in the outside too. Once you get high-up (it does get really difficult at a certain point..and when you get to the first fight of 3..oh shit.) you'll start making loads and loads of money. You also get some free armor for starting the arena stuff.

I don't think there's exactly a quick way to level stuff up per-say, it'll just level on its own. A lot faster than OOO (Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul..google it sometime, its a mod for the PC version) at least. By a lot faster, I mean 3x fasterish.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

As a general rule, if you're the type that can't play an RPG without obssessing about stats (like myself), max out your Endurance as soon as you can (or at least raise it to 75-80). The HP growth works in a weird way where, to make long story short, you'll have more HP the earlier you cap your Endurance out. It's the only stat that works like this, for whatever reason, so do whatever you want for the other ones.

Since the large majority of your income and equipment will likely be coming from killing people and taking it from them, you should find one way or another to have a good amount of inventory space. You could do that by leveling Strength a lot early on, learning how to cast fortify strength, learning Feather spells or training your alchemy a lot and making feather and/or strength potions. Later on when you have more money you can enchant a set of clothing with the aforementioned spells so they're always on, to switch into every time you're running low on space (this is the best way in my opinion, but you won't be able to do this effectively for a while). It doesn't really matter how you do it, just make sure you always have a lot of room for stuff.

Race doesn't matter a whole lot, I mean you get different starting stats, but it's usually not terribly hard to make up for them one way or another. Almost all the racial abilities eventually have a regular spell or ability that either match or best it, and the only exceptions, while unique, are still not that important unless, again, you really like obsessing over every last stat point. Just pick whatever you want to play more. As far as class goes, a warrior is a better choice for a starter in that it's simpler, but mages still aren't too terribly hard to play (meaning don't worry about it - if you really want to play one, go ahead), they just take more patience.

You don't really have to bother griding skills for the most part if you're playing the regular, unmodded version. There are ways to do it for most skills, but they're usually godawfully boring and kinda take some fun out of the game. But yeah, that aside, I'd definitely recommend leveling Alchemy. At lower levels it will make you a decent deal of money and make your life considerably easier; at higher levels you can make some ridiculously powerful buff potions and poisons. For a warrior, making sure you keep your Armorer leveled is a good idea (repair everything you can yourself instead of using shops and always repair loot before you sell it). For a mage, a decent level of conjuration can save your life, if for nothing else other than making enemies hit someone other than you, especially when you just got into a bad situation and need to run away.

Best thing you can do is run around exploring things, there is an enormous amount of content in the game - I got it ages ago and I still find things I had no idea were ever there whenever I actually have some time to play it.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Bunch of random shit thrown together.

Played this frequently the past couple months. As said, you can basically do anything you want as far as class goes. I'm not family with a mage type. The closest I played was a Dark Elf Mageblade. I prefer the "Paladin" listed in a guide linked below, but I changed a couple things.

Except for total mana, any race can be anything, really. It's all on the bonuses when you start out if you choose to play normally and what Powers/Bonuses you prefer if you choose to power level.

Understand the leveling system, please XD. I fucked myself over because I didn't understand it at first. T'was a level 24 Knight who can't kill a bandit. Helpful Guide for character builds/leveling system: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360 ... 7345/42063

The Wiki: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

Exploring is fun. It's one of the biggest appeals of the game. Do it.

Alchemy is best leveled making any potions you can. Grab any plants, food, or mob drops you can synth with. You also gain skill, although not as much, by eating raw ingredients. You will receive the top effect listed. Way more often than not, your potions are worth more and weigh less than the raw ingredients use to make them.

Fighter's Guild in Chorrol is the best place to sell armor/weapons early in the game. Mage's guild is best for any Alchemy/Scroll/Magical type stuff.

Alteration has spells that will increases your encumbrance. It's fairly easy to level too. Casting/drinking Fortify Strength if good for capacity too.

Magic progression is based on how many times you cast, not how much mana you use. Same "idea" can be applied to melee, armor, and mercantile. Use weak weapons, lowest mana spells, and sell arrows 1 at a time for increses in skill. Boring but the quickest ways of leveling. Wait/sleep for mana.

Don't need to "win" the persuasion games to increase in speechcraft.

I find the Inn in Chorrol, Something & Crosier, a good place to level Sneak when the Inn Keeper goes to sleep behind the counter. The weight of your boots effects how well you can sneak until Sneak Lv50.

A Master(100) of Heavy and Light Armor is basically the same, except for appearance. However, light armor degrades faster than heavy.

Greenmead cave on the road between Skingrad and Imperial City has nice amount of chests and 3-4 "boss level chests" with chances for enchanted items before and beyond Lv20. Also has a huge fucking Mud Crab at the end. >:O

Certain quest rewards are "leveled". Meaning the reward is greater at the fire level you get them. This is mainly in intervals of 5 levels. Example: 0,5,10,15,20,25+. Most quests give the best version at Lv25+...

..Witch is why I recommend you save the "Separated at Birth" quest line until Lv25+. The reward is a VERY nice Heavy Shield.
    Separated at Birth -> Legacy Lost* -> Sins of the Father.
    *IF YOU LOG THIS QUEST DO IT RIGHT AWAY! The Ogres will run off over time. You will have to hunt the 3 ogres, witch look the same as all the others in the game, all over the world. It's a major bitch.

Really Random Shit:

I kind of cheat to level up offensive skills. Having the downloaded content (DLC at least on 360) "Thieves Den" is great to level offensive skills. You can repeatedly attack the unkillable boar 'Bacon' over and over again. However, he'll attack you whenever he sees you from then on. It's a pain when you want to barter with some merchants there at lower levels. Ultimately you'll just have to dungeon hop beating the living shit out of everything that moves. Destruction can be leveled easily via the "Weakness to [-]" spells. All they do is lower resistance.

A quick way to level armor skills/block - considering you didn't kill them - are the 2 rats the the end of the imperial sewers. They don't respawn, and you can't progress in the main story without the sewer grate locking. The one closest to the gate doesn't aggro, but the one by the steps further down does. The other will link with the aggro, and just run to the gate and get beat on. Nice way of leveling magic while you wait. The rats won't follow you outside, so just wait/Fast Travel to regain HP.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I feel sorry for people that get oblivion for 360/ps3... they won't be able to use mods made by the community, which range from total conversions, new land masses, retarded amounts of new monsters, armors, spells, sigil stones, new or reskinned races, and pretty amazing alterations like new mounts (flying dragons and pegasus, animals, etc), semi-mounted combat, or slicing people in half/beheading/dismemberment/etc (it's pretty gruesome hehe).

Though to give you a bit of how I started, I went the stealthy route but made my own custom class to give myself restoration and illusion as two main skills among other things. It's really too easy to be a good thief... the invisible spell is way overpowered since it completely stops nearly everyone from attacking you after you cast it (so you can run the hell away!), just you can't hit or activate anything or else the spell wears off instantly. 100% chameleon is retardedly overpowered since then nothing tracks you and can get sneak attack bonus while in front of anything even during the day (perm invis). You'll probably want an invisible spell eventually though so you don't have to constantly deal with weak prey if you're just doing a small quest or want to get a sigil stone quickly.

Also, the major differences between heavy and light armor are that heavy armor can help keep you from getting knocked off balance when something hits you while light armor does almost nothing to prevent this. Like a rat or boar attacking you while wearing heavy armor will merely just move you slightly while in light armor they'll knock you off balance and prevent you from attacking or casting a spell quickly. I had fun with this while wearing full higher tiered heavy armor in a cave full of ogres. They attacked and attacked but couldn't knock me off balance a single time! After a while I'd invisible, sneak to a different room, and bust a bunch of hammers repairing it all to skill up armorer. Also, shield skill is quite handy as eventually you'll not only just block attacks but be able to randomly bash the attacker off balance or even disarm them! Just beware that shielded opponents could also do the same to you! Sucks if you have a nice weapon and it falls down some cracks somewhere though ; ;, but there are a couple quest-flagged items you can use for main weapons so you'll never lose them (I just don't finish those quests, they'll weigh 0lbs until you finish the quest, like umbra of that one weird dwarven mace I forget its name...).

Eventually I went through a few play throughs and wound up with this kind of character:
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9...enshot4sn1.jpg
    http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/6...enshot6xl0.jpg
    She has found and cured many rectal polyps in her game time.
    Custom race called Ainmhi, basically breton model with cat ears and tail and a crappy 24hr ability. And yes my pc is quite old, 800x600 is about the best it can manage while keeping high textures and full view distance (had to use custom texture pack to help with this heh). That's a modded waiting stance there too.

It really is a damn fun game but you really have to have a knack for exploring and questing, otherwise you'll get bored really fast.

I loved how vast the elder scrolls games were, but was always dissapointed with the fighting. They spend years developing this emersive world only to give you a player and can basically do 3 sword swing motions.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, Morrowind was like that... there was no point to the three attack motions since it only affected the dmg the weapon did and nothing else. There are mods that change it though hehe.

In Oblivion the different attacks actually do something.

Like if you're using a dagger you can attack pretty damn fast if you just spam the attack button since the range of a dagger is really short. The speed of the attacks is the best thing about it since with enough strength behind the hits you can knock enemies off balance to prevent them from attacking back. Bigger weapons attack slower so you'll actually want to start taking advantage of the special moves: power attacking while strafing side to side does a spinning attack move that can sometimes disarm your enemy and power attacking while walking backward can make you jab your weapon forward and knock an enemy right off his feet! Just be careful since enemies can do these same things right back at you! Works best with long weapons like 2handed swords or long swords though, axes and 2h axes are a bit short. Just have to have high skill in the weapons first before you can do some stronger attacks. With the deadly combat mod it actually matters where you attack since you can do all sorts of fun death strikes that dismember people hehe.

Just kind of sucks they missed so much of this other interesting stuff but the world they made, how beautiful it looks, the huge amount of quests, and even the radiant AI is really nice. Do be sure to check out the dark brotherhood quest line, quite possibly the best series of quests in the regular game. And then later repent and rebuild the knights of the nine!

Banned.

BG Level

I made so much money just stealing gold spoons and forks and selling it to the thieves guilds. Like thousands and thousands of gold.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    I made so much money just stealing gold spoons and forks and selling it to the thieves guilds. Like thousands and thousands of gold.
    Where's the best place to find said utensils? Going to try a few character builds sometime, a quick ticket would be nice.

If you have bought the original Oblivion you can do the scroll glitch

The new GOTY comes with the Expansion, + the expansion is sold seperately, but it fixes the problem

Duplicate Items Using Scrolls

This duplication glitch will still work even after installing the version 1.2 patch (or on the PS3 version, which comes with the version 1.2 patch installed).

Acquire two or more copies of the same scroll. The number of identical scrolls that you have will determine the number of duplicate items you create.
    Open your inventory.
    Equip the stack of scrolls.
    Highlight (but do not equip) a single item (not a stack) that you wish to duplicate, and drop it.
    Close your inventory and on the floor will be multiple copies of the item that you dropped.
    Acquiring a large number of identical scrolls can be difficult. However, as long as you can find two identical scrolls to start with, you can initially use the exploit repeatedly to duplicate scrolls. Once you have a large number of duplicated scrolls, you can then start duplicating other items.

I have around 2.5mil Gold using the scrol glitch, I just did the trick and created a stack of 50 Summon Clanffears, then glitch them to give me 50 Varla Stone, repeat process ^^

Hell I even learned how to get those Enchanted Armor which have 0 weight but overall are the highest def allowed ^^

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

^ Best Bet for everything

Change this later.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuzhyo
    Where's the best place to find said utensils? Going to try a few character builds sometime, a quick ticket would be nice.

Go to the Tiber Septim Hotel.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Eratosthenes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuzhyo

Go to the Tiber Septim Hotel.
    Awesome. Thank you.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Alot of help here I was looking for, guess I will start with imperial/warrior, but can anyone explain this a bit more:

Though to give you a bit of how I started, I went the stealthy route but made my own custom class to give myself restoration and illusion as two main skills among other things. It's really too easy to be a good thief... the invisible spell is way overpowered since it completely stops nearly everyone from attacking you after you cast it (so you can run the hell away!), just you can't hit or activate anything or else the spell wears off instantly. 100% chameleon is retardedly overpowered since then nothing tracks you and can get sneak attack bonus while in front of anything even during the day (perm invis). You'll probably want an invisible spell eventually though so you don't have to constantly deal with weak prey if you're just doing a small quest or want to get a sigil stone quickly.
    Can the imperial/warrior learn the invisible spell and get high sneak? this seems like a really helpful thing through out game

Change this later.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Alot of help here I was looking for, guess I will start with imperial/warrior, but can anyone explain this a bit more:

Can the imperial/warrior learn the invisible spell and get high sneak? this seems like a really helpful thing through out game
    Yep, you can build your character however you want. You still have every skill no matter which 7 you pick as your major skills. The major skills simply start out higher level and are the ones you must raise in order to level up, but there's nothing stopping you from using the other 14.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

While duping exploits are kinda neat to find, they're kinda pointless because if you really wanted to cheat, you can just go to the console and change/give yourself anything. I usually play without cheating, but sometimes if I get frustrated obsessing over something (like wanting to do the battle for kvatch without losing anybody) I'll give myself some super cure spell and a billion MP, so I can spam cure everyone while I fight, then after everyone is safe, I'll put my MP back to normal and remove the spell I added. I could do it without using the console, but then I might lose somebody and feel guilty afterwards. lol

Or another time, I was full with a bunch of crap I looted from Oblivion and on my way across an outdoor bridge between spires and decided to screw it, and just gave myself flight, hopped off the bridge and exited, went to town and sold all my crap, then flew back up onto the bridge I left and continued from there. I really didn't feel like going back out the long way (or making a 2nd trip later) just to lighten my inventory.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Can anyone recommend some decent mods for this? So far Ive got OBMM running with the map mod, the interface mod and the armory house addon thing. Any and all suggestions welcome ^^;

Sea Torques
    BG Level

The only ones I use(besides all the official ones) are: OOO and Supreme Magicka

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I made my guy just a flat out brawler. Could wear the heaviest armor and wield the heaviest weapons available. But I also kept my Stealth extremely high at all times just so I could steal shit left and right.

Also Firas
    BG Level

Bought on PS3, so hooked on it atm, its a beatiful game.

I chose wood elven, thief class, thief God. Now my question, You know that wood elvens have an ability to manipulate creatures, i want to increase my level in this spell, how can i do it when the spell can be casted only once a day...also, the damn mage's guild keep kicking me out for stealing and causing mishaps around counties.

One more thing, the Thieve's guild gives me a Quest to steal a ring from a Princess (I really forgot the name), which requires me to infiltrate her room through a serious of secret "locked" doors (ofcourse i have to lockpick most of them) its a bitch cus i waste lots of lockpicks on that quest, and i dont know when exactly should i go in her room to steal the ring. If anyone would be kind enough to tip me on a simple/easy way to do this.

and Finally, why cant i equip the Viper ring anymore? ;; its the ring that gives AGI+5 and sneak+. I got it from that lady who collects akaviri relics. I cant equip that ring anymore, it keeps telling me: "Cannot equip ring at this moment". But i can equip other jewelry, help.

P.S: Thanks for the invisible spell tip too, gonna try and obtain that, its going to help me alot.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Do the Nocturnal quest for the skeleton key as soon as you can, makes things a metric fuckton easier.

edit: The control beast thing is a lesser power, it doesnt get any better :/