Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Equip for capping parring~

I've been looking through previous forums involving capping parrying, and havn't been able to find a lot on what stuff helps parrying besides "xp a lot". I've seen ideas of where to skillup like Chigoes near Nashmau and stuff, just wanna know if anything helps parrying proc more. I've heard evasion- stuff, parrying+ stuff, AGI, then I've heard that none of those help. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for what to wear to help it proc more for skillups. Sorry for making another thread, I'm sure this has been asked before, I just can't find a good thread.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Re: Equip for capping parring~

First of all, what job is this for? Ninja, Paladin, or something else?

Especially if you're on NIN you'll want to stack -Evasion gear, but for PLD that's not so important with the D- skill or whatever rating it is. I think that stacking AGI gear does help, but I don't have hard data to support that anecdotal claim.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

well, i got 75thf, and 150+ merits, and 62nin, and my parrying is only 175 lol

eva procs before parry, less you evade the more chance you have to parry, as i understand it. could try lvling nin a little with full time haubergeon+woodsmanx2 etc. even if it doesn't cap, you'll have another 75~

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Ah shitty, THF is such a horrible job to skill either Shield or Parry with. A linkmate of mine has been working at it for quite some time and the progression is very slow.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I always hear that evasion procs before parrying, but would evasion down really help parrying go up? and what about AGI or any other stats that might help?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

The best way to get around your evasion is to face more than one mob at the same time. You want to get your hits-past-evasion-check up to an acceptable level. You could try and push your evade rate down, but it just gets silly with the level correction on lower-level mobs when you're behind on skill. Pull as many as you can stand.

As for gear, I dunno what to tell you as THF. NINs get some tasty damage reduction options that I always recomend to people. Get your DEF/VIT as high as you can cuz you're going to be takin hits. You can sub a mage job and fight beetles or crabs with parrying knives to sustain your MP. Facing MNKs with an earth staff is decent at lower levels too. I guess push your parrying skill and AGI as high as possible from slots where there are no good defensive options.

Here's a couple NIN parrying threads... maybe there's something in those you'll find helpful.

http://killingifrit.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=151154
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html ... =95;page=1

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Elesirdur pointed this thread out to me, so I'll let you know what I've done/learned.

In my experience, you'll want to stack all the parrying skill you can muster. AF head, Parrying Knife, Parrying Torque, Parrying Earring, Boxer's Mantle are typically what I use. After that I use a smattering of minus evasion gear, agility gear and defence gear. Since I tend to go solo, I prefer the Spartan Hoplon over using an Earth Staff, but if you can get outside help go with the Earth Staff. Jelly Ring would be good too, but I haven't gotten around to getting one yet myself.

I'm currently at 214 skill, and I went from about 140 to there entirely on Chigoes out in Caedarva Mire. I usually went to Nashmau, and headed out of the East door. There's 4 Chigoes out there, so pop flee and gather them up. If you've got outside help, engage a mob at distance but never attack. If you do not, engage and attack a sapling, and use them to keep yourself alive. If you have Phalanx, either from a spell or from the shield, this should be a cakewalk for you. With the Phalanx from the shield, Defender, and some cheap defense food like Fish Mithkabobs, you should be taking a lot of 0 hits from the Chigoe.

Subjob wise, I'd say your best options are either /war, /blu, /rdm, or /sam. Subbing Red Mage would be the best option if you're solo, because you can Phalanx and Regen yourself. Failing this, /war is second, because Defender is good, both for the less damage taken and for less damage dealt to the mob you're using to stay alive. If you have help, then I'd think Blue Mage would take the cake, because you'll have a better chance of actually getting Cocoon up. Using Samurai as your sub is if you have nothing else and really, really want to use that level 30 latent earring.

Now, let it be known that you cannot cap your skill on the Chigoes at 75. You really are going to need an outside hand to cap it, or a whole lot of time and money to spend on consumables.

I've been wondering how to get this up well myself. I'm currently at 250 Parry (of 277, 4 merits in parry). Working on this solo is a bit of a riddle, and I don't get to tank much at the moment. Had tried /RDM in Rancor vs. Puks, but started to get raped (earth staff and jelly ring). Though my parry procs at a decent rate, it hardly if ever goes up any more. Once in a long while (once a month? lol) I might get the random 0.1 or 0.3+. The most recent skill increases on it has been on SAM in xp parties or at ls events when hate is pulled.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Parry is so random.. Im at 260 atm and skilling it up directly is not worth your time unless you are very very bored.

I just got random skillups from everywhere around the world. 210-240 I was doing lots of Latent Breaking and KS weapon unlocking on Steelshells. The last few parry skillups I got were like 0.5 from Cerberus, 0.5 from a Besieged Bhoot, 0.4 from some Dyna Xcar Demon NM, 0.3 from a slime in Appolyon SE and 0.2 from a Dynamis Icon I wanted to Mijin at after doing Attestation NMs.

The best way to skillup for me I found is combining it with something that is worth your time. Killing Elder Gobbue in Boya can give you a little extra pocket money while getting skill. For lower skill levels Castle Oztroja was nice since the Yagudos had some kind of good money drops back then.

A way I heard of that could be nice for high level skillups are OmYovra in Sea at night. If your shadows get close just run. You dont skillup more on them than on other mobs but if you get a skillup your chances of a 0.4 or 0.5 are good.

assburgers
    BG Level

*tosses out his "Shinai has some hidden Parrying proc rate up effect" theory*

I've seriously never had something give back to back to back Parry procs, with the regularity that this does.

I was using a lvl 5 Great Axe to feed mobs Tp to help a Blu learn spells, but it was still doing too much damage, and we had a limited number of mobs to work with, so I went back and grabbed my Shinai and the parrying is absurd with it, if I got someone to cure me so I could skillup, I would totally use it.

I'll do some testing next time I'm bored, see if I can get any actual statistics, but it's always funny when you to to deathwarp a lvl 1 mule with a shinai and parry enough hits to survive 5 attack rounds from a Tough mob.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

75 nin/war (sam if you have b/c of lower evasion)
    Den of Rancor - 8 pucks (there is a group of 5+3)

Main: Terra staff
    Head: arhat+1
    Neck: fortitude torque
    body: arhat+1
    hand: seiryu
    back: boxer mantle
    waist: warwolf
    leg: haidate
    feet: dusk+1
    ring: BQueen
    ring: jelly
    earring: agi+
    Food: Tav taco

RDM - with Phal2 capped
    BRD - singing 2x Minne
    WHM - Tect5

Defense seems to cap around 738 with Defender up. Run them to a bridge, engage on a mob down below so youll never hit anything. Pucks will hit between 0-10, crit for like 20. We get 1 level every 8-15 minutes doing this. All the people involved have NIN, so we have been rotating capping people off. GL

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I did some tests on AGI for parry rate and couldn't find ANY correlation at all for AGI increasing parry rates: +54 AGI / +0 parry parsed out the same as +0 AGI / +0 parry. OTH, parry+27 (neck, 2xknife) was a pretty huge boost to the parry rate (about 30% to the rate or about 3% overall). Instantly noticeable change. If AGI effected parry as many many web sites state (ie. 2 agi = 1 parry skill), the +54 would have been identical to the +27 or at least shifted the rate a little bit.

I'm currently at 254 parry. I did the test around 247 parry, iirc -- about 6 months ago.

After doing the test, I decided to just get parry on the side and save deliberately capping it until after I'm totally capped on all merits. I've read (but not tested/verified) that your parry skill gain is set by your "base+merit" level and that gear doesn't effect it. If this is true, your ideal parry gear setup should include as much +parry as you can manage and you should not merit parry until after you cap it (if at all).

What most folks seem to do is gather a herd of black onions and tank them with as much -phys, +def, and +parry on as you can manage. Target an OOR onion and use a friend for healing -- ideally a RDM with phalanxII.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Okuza
    I did some tests on AGI for parry rate and couldn't find ANY correlation at all for AGI increasing parry rates: +54 AGI / +0 parry parsed out the same as +0 AGI / +0 parry. OTH, parry+27 (neck, 2xknife) was a pretty huge boost to the parry rate (about 30% to the rate or about 3% overall). Instantly noticeable change. If AGI effected parry as many many web sites state (ie. 2 agi = 1 parry skill), the +54 would have been identical to the +27 or at least shifted the rate a little bit.

I'm currently at 254 parry. I did the test around 247 parry, iirc -- about 6 months ago.

After doing the test, I decided to just get parry on the side and save deliberately capping it until after I'm totally capped on all merits. I've read (but not tested/verified) that your parry skill gain is set by your "base+merit" level and that gear doesn't effect it. If this is true, your ideal parry gear setup should include as much +parry as you can manage and you should not merit parry until after you cap it (if at all).

What most folks seem to do is gather a herd of black onions and tank them with as much -phys, +def, and +parry on as you can manage. Target an OOR onion and use a friend for healing -- ideally a RDM with phalanxII.
    I always thought the AGI = Shield and Parry rates thing was people trying to justify Mithra and Tarutaru NIN and PLD.
    They should have just said I like being a Tarutaru and I like playing as Paladin and just been done with it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I went THF/PLD with the most def I could get (def food). The agi and parry skill didn't matter really for what I did, cause i levelled parry real fast. Equiped earth staff, and went in Ayedeewa subterrains, in that room where there is 10+ chigoes.

I aggro 5 of them, target and engage an amerat (morbol) that's there, while having the chigoes in front of me. I had a rdm char phalanx 2 and protect 4 me, and cure bombing> rest. The chigoes hit for 0-10 so its managable.

Result: parry 100>235 in 15 hours. Good way to cap shield too btw, don't need to engage a mob then, just stand.

The chigoes there are lv 69 tops, so 235 is the maximum you can get; there are higher level chigoes that pop from the Marids in Bhaflau thickets.

EDIT: took more than 15 hours actually, maybe 30, but I was getting like 5 level/hours.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

I think parrying must have gotten some kinda boost lately, cause I parry an OBSCENE amount on BLU (which has capped parrying at 210) against Imps and stuff. I'll try to keep track of it next time I'm soloing something so I can throw out some non-anecdotal numbers.

NIN with an actual Parrying build (can probably get +~50 or so skill) might do some pretty sic things...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I parse every fight for hit rate and parry rate. There has been no change at all on basic parrying rates. You're just shifting to a job with lower evasion. As evasion rate drops, parrying rate goes up. You have to fail an evade to even get a chance at a parry.

While it's true that nin and thf can get high parry skill levels, their evasion is capped at the same spot and is even easier to raise. Evasion as a skill has 3-5x the effect on avoiding damage as parry skill. A little evasion goes MUCH further than a ton of parry.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Attend Besieged as well. I end up tanking mobs lots (not on purpose...) and whenever I do, I get parry skillups.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

5 lvls an hour sounds about accurate for the setup I describe as well I would say close to 4 an hour with having 8 Puks on you on Den of rancor.