BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

People who buy accounts - a question regarding them

With the implementation of server transfers a few months ago, an unwanted effect of that being implemented is that it makes it easier for account buyers to progress in the game. Before it was possible to change servers, anyone who bought an account would have to remain on that server and deal with the recriminations of doing so. Now though, they can just hop servers and players on the server they migrate to wouldn't know. Now I think account buying generally is pretty shady but I'm thinking mainly of those who buy accounts from gil selling websites and such. My question is, for advanced players, do you bracket bought accounts in the same way as gilbuyers and RMTers? As in, do you avoid interacting with them, partying with them, telling people you know not to party with them, and blacklisting them etc? Have you had any bad experiences with bought accounts (i.e. experience of players who bought their accounts)?

Re: People who buy accounts - a question regarding them

I think u answered your own question, ppl move the chars/change the name and its gg.

I, however would refuse to associate with a bought account (unless it was given to someone, a RL friend etc.).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I wouldn't judge so quickly about someone.. Even if they are a bought account.. Doesn't mean they are bad.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    I wouldn't judge so quickly about someone.. Even if they are a bought account.. Doesn't mean they are bad.
    It just means they support RMTing and I think we know how many people feel about those who do that. There's definitely a stigma attached.

Im not from Harlem, or black.
    BG Level

This is an interesting topic and I'd like to see what people have to say about it. The problem is though, most people wouldn't even know if it was a bought account after the server transfer. and if they did know, something tells me most people would turn a blind eye, even people here posting otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Merona
    It just means they support RMTing and I think we know how many people feel about those who do that. There's definitely a stigma attached.
    While I do think Tricen is a stupid cracker, he brings up valid points.

On another topic, what are your thoughts on accounts that were hacked and then given to people?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Doesn't matter if they're a good player - if they bought an account, it shows that they're unwilling to take the time to learn a job from scratch and actually level it. They'd rather pay RL money, than actually... y'know, PLAY the game! I can to a certain degree understand people who end up selling their accounts when they quit, because for a lot of people it IS a cash temptation - however, I don't approve of it, nor do I think buying accounts is OK in any way. They're paying RL money for pixellated stuff. That, to me, is RMT.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Merona
    What if they bought it from another legit player that quit? If I never wanted to come back to FFXI, I would sell my account. Maybe break even from all the months of paying for this game.

We have a whole LS that thrives on account/gil buying on Ragnarok, on top of a majority of the UAE players. Everyone who joins just ignores the obvious facts that prove it. Hey Stellar! Nice knowing you Najdi.

Just do a BC if you don't want bought accounts in your LS... I'm sure people from the LS they were in would know if it's a bought account.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Tormentormike
    We have a whole LS that thrives on account/gil buying on Ragnarok, on top of a majority of the UAE players. Everyone who joins just ignores the obvious facts that prove it. Hey Stellar! Nice knowing you Najdi.
    Coincidentally, Tricen is in the Shiva version of this LS. Except they take more of a "we don't care" approach instead of just acting blind.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I generally don't think its bad. I know of a couple people that bought accounts just to use as a second character, but they still kept their main character, and used it for more events. The bought character was generally a ToD mule, or just something for them to mess around on.

To all those people saying "They didn't take time to learn their job blah blah" is there anything in this game thats actually difficult, that a smart person couldn't learn in a couple of days? Is it really so different if someone is given an account from a friend who quit and doesn't know how to play it? Does money really make a difference in the transaction? And don't say "Well, its a gift", cause someone could potentially buy an account for you as well.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

A friend of mine is quitting and i bought his account to play on, what's wrong with that ? Nothing is wrong totally.

However, I'm against anyone who bought account from RMT websites that offer buying account to sell for some margin.

So, this is a case-by-case act. You can't just say buying account is bad.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Rellinger
    To all those people saying "They didn't take time to learn their job blah blah" is there anything in this game thats actually difficult, that a smart person couldn't learn in a couple of days?
    If we were to remove the qualification "a smart person", then here's exhibit A: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17955 .

In my opinion, if you were smart, you'd get a free account from a friend that was quitting, and not buy an account. And if you pay more than $20 for a ToD mule (the cost to buy a new set of registration codes), well geez...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I think it depends on who bought the account. I can agree with an old player who lost his toon somehow, then decided to come back and but didn't want to spend another 2-3 year building up another acct, doing the same exact shit over again. On the other hand I'm against random noobs who know jack shit about the game then getting a RMTed acct with shit they don't even know the value of.

.. sorta like if a person dropped out of an university of his/her own will, then decided to come back, they should be allowed to, but a freshmen shouldn't be allowed in just because he has tons of money and doesn't even qualify. (best analogy I can think of on the spot)

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I know some people who bought accounts, or were given accounts, who were better actual players than the original owners.

Bit of a mixed bag really. It's a no-no, but if they're contributing equally to the success of your LS as any other person, who cares?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    I know some people who bought accounts, or were given accounts, who were better actual players than the original owners.

Bit of a mixed bag really. It's a no-no, but if they're contributing equally to the success of your LS as any other person, who cares?
    A lot of people actually.
    I think people ought to have to work for what they get, and if they quit... they should have to deal with any consequences that come along with that.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic

I think people ought to have to work for what they get, and if they quit... they should have to deal with any consequences that come along with that.
    Work schmurk. It's not in human nature to strive to do things the hard way. Do you churn your own butter, or handwash every single article of your clothing? People who RMT accounts aren't essentially getting accounts for free, or for no effort, they are actually handing money over to someone else. You say its some kind of taboo, when in reality all it is is some morally gray area where peoples' opinions are going to differ wildly.

I also know people who were unfairly banned by GMs for using Sprint in Ballista to run away from getting killed, and were subsequently given accounts by friends who no longer had any interest in the game. Do these people deserve the "consequences" of essentially being forced to quit?

Old Merits
    BG Level

First of all, yes it is wrong to do, because it is against the rules.

Buying/selling/getting accounts that don´t hurt anyone or won´t really effect the economy = I don´t care.
    (Example, you sell your account to an online or rl friend, you get an account from an online or rl friend,
    this includes handing accounts over for free). That account will most likely not effect you in camping HNMs
    or prices going crazy on AH like in the past. 99% of the people won´t even realise any difference.

Buying/selling accounts that end up in the hands of gilsellers, gilbuying/gilselling websites, botters = I do care.
    High chance these accounts will be a problem for you, when you camp HNMs.
    Money HNMs camped 24/7 most likely. High chance I will refuse to party with these people,
    for example I denied all PT invites or didn´t bother do invite people I knew they RMTed them.
    (like old BG/Hokuten Chars in UAE hands).

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Work schmurk. It's not in human nature to strive to do things the hard way. Do you churn your own butter, or handwash every single article of your clothing? People who RMT accounts aren't essentially getting accounts for free, or for no effort, they are actually handing money over to someone else. You say its some kind of taboo, when in reality all it is is some morally gray area where peoples' opinions are going to differ wildly.
    It's not a gray area, it's RMT. Change the wrapping however you like, it's RMT. You may not mind it, but it doesn't change what it is.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic

I also know people who were unfairly banned by GMs for using Sprint in Ballista to run away from getting killed, and were subsequently given accounts by friends who no longer had any interest in the game. Do these people deserve the "consequences" of essentially being forced to quit?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that's probably not why they were banned even if that's what they told you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast