Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Melee 70+ - What do you eat?

What are melees typically eating 70+ in XP parties?

Im a 71 Samurai (almost 72) and even with a Bard I find Im eating Sushi all the time. However I always carry some meat around in case I get invited into the mythical 2x Bard party, or whatever. My question is what *meat* are people eating? The difference between Meat Chief +1 and Coeurl Sub for instance doesn\'t seem that big (10attack?) but a friend tells me to just go for Yellow Curry for the max attack bonus.

My attack with Hasso and Sole is about 370, so my assumption is that I should probably just go for a 400 cap food or Yellow Curry.

Just wanted to see what other people are eating for meat. I don\'t want to buy Dragon Meat.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Re: Melee 70+ - What do you eat?

I'm honestly surprised you're eating sushi at all. I've been eating meat exclusively on SAM since the 2-handed patch as I've been leveling it up.. gone from about 50 - 68 without touching anything with fish on it. So.. what are you wearing and what are you fighting that is giving you such a hard time?

I prefer Coeurl Subs for exp situations -- I use them on WAR, so I'm not buying separate food for another melee job. I wouldn't recommend using 3-hour food until you're in the meriting range. I get itchy whenever I use 3-hour food as it just seems to spin the wheel of "So you're going to die in 20 minutes" karma-wise. Curry is usually reserved for longer events when there's a monster big enough that some other guy is tanking.

Fighting Colibri I'll take 5 - 6 stacks of NQ Meat Mithkabobs and go to town, but since I've pretty much main-tanked my way on SAM to 68, 30 min., high-attack food is what I'd recommend.

[magic edit]: Also, the "Random Question Thread" is great for this kind of thing. Even if your question gets lost, keep at it. That thread is filled with hearts and win.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As a WAR75 I usually eat coeurl subs since I farm the meat out of boredom... with berserk and meat I can usually hit 600 atk without a BRD. The only times I have acc problems are when dealing with the occasional mamool ja lurker (bastards). Otherwise, I just use meat with every camp and my acc has always been fine and dandy. But I do have peacock charm, haidate, and bomblet if that makes any difference.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Sis Kababi(sp?) Can get from NPC in whitegate for like 1k each. Hurrayz.

As GA WAR I'm using meat only. Acc food for 2handed weapon was always a waste. While using Axe/Ridill combo I tend to use sushi. I have pretty everything I can for Acc/Haste stuff for my Ridill WAR, but missing Rampages is pissing me of so much :/ On Colibris I'm not using food at all, since when that happens it's one food = one colibri :/
    That's if there is no BRD / COR. With BRD I just adjust myself to others in pt. I'm holding both meat and fish in my backpack all the time anyway.

But since you're a SAM - go with 30min meat. Unless you're perfectly sure you will exp for 3h and not on colibris.

Yea I was going to post this in the Random Question Thread but I figured I\'d get a few more people to answer it this way. Was a judgment call, perhaps I erred.

I was actually using meat exclusively 50-67/68 but once I got to Imps/Mire (and the one party I\'ve gotten at the Mamool Ja Staging Point) I\'ve been using sole +1 almost exclusively. My gear just for reference:

taru samurai71/nin
    TP
    soboro
    claymore grip
    lightning bow
    optical hat
    peacock charm
    spike
    spike (bushi @72)
    hauby
    okotes
    sniper
    dex+3
    amemet+1
    swift
    royal knight breeches
    sarutobi kyahan (3% haste r/e)

ws
    sipahi turban
    peacock charm
    minuet earring
    spike (bushi @72)
    hauby
    pallas
    victory
    victory
    amemet+1
    potent
    royal knight\'s breeches
    creek M clomps

Perhaps it\'s just that Soboro swings so often, but I really feel the misses. I haven\'t parsed as much as I used to in the 50s and 60s, but I know that eating meat my accuracy with hasso probably hovers around 75-78% now that I\'m 71 against Mire mobs (it was worse against Mamool Jas of course). Even with Sushi the hit rate doesn\'t cap out at 95% (though it gets closer to 90) and missing 10% of your WS with soboro doing 3x WS per fight is frustrating (frustrating to the point I use Peacock over Spike/Chiv and am *this* close to ditching Sipahi for Ohat as well).

I\'m hoping that with Bushi at 72 my accuracy will be a little more acceptable to my perfectionist mind and I\'ll switch to meat. It seems so far the consensus was my guess as well, that Coeurl is the logical progression from Meat Chiefs. I\'m less concerned about eating a 3hr food in a decent PT if it means an increase in performance over the Coeurls/Meat Chiefs, so I\'ll probably give that a try in the next decent Bard pt I come across.

I ate meat almost exclusively on SAM while leveling long before the 2H update.

No reason you shouldn't be eating ATK food unless you're overhunting to a new ridiculous extreme.

I\'d edit but I can\'t on this proxy (fills the post with \'\'\'\'\'\'\'\')

I guess I also wanted to say to the first responder that I know I could get away with Meat (easily) with probably about 80% in the Mire (though hopefully 85% by 72) however with Soboro\'s damage coming primarily from WS spam (hits are 40-70 and WS are 430 on avg with sushi @100) the highest hit rate is going to end up giving me more damage overall than meat\'s % increase on each hit and WS (again since the numbers are so low).

That\'s been my logic since the Mire at least. I should probably actually parse a PT with sushi v. a PT with meat just to be sure, but I\'ve been putting off trying Meat until next level.

Been eating meat on my drk since 2hd patch. @ 70 atm and still working fine. Haven't parsed below 82% acc, and even that was over hunting in mire @ 65. I only have 1 scythe merit (just raised it 1 to get guillo a level early).

I almost cried when I wachted a sam/thf in my party use sole as a 73 sam in the mire.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm a Coeurl Sub guy since the patch.

I've been working on getting DRG to 75 finally (been a project off and on since 2004 >.>), and post-patch, Coeurl Subs plus my pre-patch acc gear have let me maintain a 92-93% accuracy rate on Mire mobs between levels 71 and 73. I did go to Trolls once at 71 (LS merit party let me leech) and I had to use Sushi there, which sucked hard because Trolls have high def and my attack suffered badly without meat.

I admit though, I had to check the date on the OP, because my base attack as 73 DRG is like 410 or so, no buffs, no food ... 370 just seems a bit low to me. I am probably missing something.

I'm cheap, I just use Meat Mithkabobs for everything, have some bison steaks I've been saving for a special occasion but it's never worth it to use them.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Meat, always. As a thief I hate sushi (I'd rather not get any tp than give a mob tp for 2 damage) and considering all 2h jobs are now pre-programmed with sushi I think it's stupid to use it on any 2h job.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I was thinking about asking something similar for NIN.

Meat in the Mire & on Greater Birds is no doubt... but I'm wondering if I should be able to eat it on Mamools?

8/8 Katana

Senjuinrikio
    Perdu Blade
    Fire Bomblet
    Walahra Turban
    Peacock Charm
    Brutal Earring
    Suppanomimi
    Haubergeon +1
    Dusk Gloves
    Rajas Ring
    Ulthalam's Ring (or Sniper's)
    Amemet Mantle +1
    Swift Belt
    Byakko's Haidate
    Fuma Sune-Ate

I asked a friend and he suggested sticking with Sole, but with Perdu latent active, I've got +40 acc... not even including acc from DEX. Seems like plenty enough for eating meat.

I'd figure it out myself, but unable to run a parser atm.

Even with all ACC you're still behind a 2-hander by about 40.

Unless you're getting Madrigal/Hunter's roll you'll wiff on THFs and to a lesser extent NINs like an epileptic ragdoll.

On regular mamools (mages, BSTs, etc) you'd be comfy in the 80s tho.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I remembering having to switch out some haste gear for acc even with sushi (north mamool camp). I had 3 katana merits at the time, but I doubt 5 more will change my acc that drastically for this particular camp. I suggest going with sushi anyways on mamool, cause my brds and rdms never seem to care that the mamool used warmup. Either that, or they argue warmup only gives the mob +acc cause the chatlog said so.

Oh, and my gear is nearly similar to yours, except I have NQ hauby + 2nd sniper.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Even on PLD in meripo situations I'm chomping on Coeurl Subs, I find them a great balance of attack and other stats given my skills and gear.

Thankfully this did not devolve into the legendary pissing "Meat vs. Sushi vs. ..." thread from a year or so back.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm a Coeurl Subs man myself.

Still halfway considering trying out Carbonara so that I can drop my Store TP boots, but eh, not sure if its worth it. Otherwiki used to say Carbonara was +4 Store TP but now it says +6, can anyway give me a confirmation either way?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna
    I admit though, I had to check the date on the OP, because my base attack as 73 DRG is like 410 or so, no buffs, no food ... 370 just seems a bit low to me. I am probably missing something.
    370 is a bit low (I'm higher at 66), but remember, at 73 vs. 71 you've got 10 attack from skill, and you've also got an attack bonus (another 10) on him.

so you're only about +20 attack over him, which is reasonable once you look at his race and what he's wearing (which is mostly dex/acc gear).

personally I use yellow curry, or meat kabobs when it's a colibri.

for stuff that's way overhunting, I'll use Sole+1 but at 71 there isn't much that *is* way overhunting unless you're already doing nyzul mamool or something.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

hedgehog pie.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder
    I was thinking about asking something similar for NIN.

Meat in the Mire & on Greater Birds is no doubt... but I'm wondering if I should be able to eat it on Mamools?

8/8 Katana

Senjuinrikio
    Perdu Blade
    Fire Bomblet
    Walahra Turban
    Peacock Charm
    Brutal Earring
    Suppanomimi
    Haubergeon +1
    Dusk Gloves
    Rajas Ring
    Ulthalam's Ring (or Sniper's)
    Amemet Mantle +1
    Swift Belt
    Byakko's Haidate
    Fuma Sune-Ate

I asked a friend and he suggested sticking with Sole, but with Perdu latent active, I've got +40 acc... not even including acc from DEX. Seems like plenty enough for eating meat.

I'd figure it out myself, but unable to run a parser atm.
    Looks like identical gear to mine. I'm right on the border for mamools, but I usually go with sushi and try for an unji/perdu + chainmail build. You'll probably parse nearly identically with Hedgehog Pie and Sole in the gear listed (assuming you're getting a minuet). Personally, I like full TP Jin returns though.