BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Server Populations     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Honestly, I'm not even really sure a server merge would really fix our problems. While it's unfortunate that some groups and individuals can't get certain delve wins, it doesn't change the fact that even if they were to get these wins then they'd essentially be in the same place as everyone else -- with nothing to do after a week of spamming t6s. The game needs more content. At least when they kept all the prior gear relevant it was justifiable to spend your time in many different events and you could spread your time how you wanted. Now.... well yeah, I stare at the pioneer's coalition for maybe 99% of my playtime, which is to say, I log off within 15 minutes of logging on. Levi 9am PST: 993

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, Yorcia Skirmishes really could not have come at a worse time. Delve was something of a time sink already, and devalued everything previous to the point where it was kind of a waste to do everything else, but at least it kept people going for a few months with the upgrade processes. However, there's no time sink with Yorcia at all, it's an incredibly shallow event that essentially boils down to spamming runs or gil for stones until you get the augments you want. Once you're done with that (and most people are done already), you have some of the best armor in the game (in many cases the best by far, replacing at least 2/3 of R15 Delve armor and frequently even outdoing Delve boss gear - wtf?), and then you have nothing left to play it with. This is amplified by the fact that they're just throwing +1 stones at us with the next Login campaign. I guess logging in daily is a Content Level 14 event now?

I logged in last night during the ARR maintenance, and it was just sad. Two groups in Cirdas (U), no interesting shouts, tons of AFK people everywhere, fewer than 900 total online at NA primetime. I know they said they weren't going to do roadmap type things anymore, but FFXI could REALLY use a roadmap right about now so people know what's in the pipeline and have some reason to want to stick around.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I know I would appreciate one. It would save me the trouble of deciding whether or not this next "fall" (read: November) update is worth keeping my subscription open for. It's practically sinful that I pay for 4 chars atm.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Meh, I guess alot of it has to do where people stand on the content, I know alot of people who are stilll kind of shuffling through content more slowly then many around here do as a result they generally do not comment on the situation regarding the current content level because they aren't finishing it fast enough for it to matter to them. I spent alot of time in Monstroisty these days and actually find that more enjoyable then alot of other things these days.

Though I would admit alot less... singlar routes would be nice on content.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'd love a roadmap like post, minus the specific dates and such, cause that just created expectations that typically weren't met. Something just laying out what their plans are, things they'd like to do, content they plan on expanding upon, etc, would be great. Matsui seems to do a pretty good jobs of this (read: better than the previous 10 years of FFXI) with his insightful posts, however it just doesn't feel like enough.

I'd really like to see more engaging community events as well. I'm sure they've got tons of material at their fingertips that they don't have the time to implement it all. Why not hold more things like vote for your favorite NPC and shield design, but with content, armor models, mobs, etc. Engage the community so that they feel like they're part of the future of the game.

On the topic of server merges, I'm skeptical one will happen yet. I'm not sure how other servers are, but during JP time, Bahamut still clocks 1800-2k players. During their time, it pretty much feels like pre-FFXIV, lots of shouts, lots of people doing things..just sucks being an NA, as most won't give you the time of day.

During NA times though, its just as terrible here as other servers, 1 PM EST and 889 on, no meaningful shout in well over an hour, unless you'd count an Aby seal or Rala Skirmish weapon farm shout as meaningful. As others have mentioned, this kinda boils down to the lack of rewarding/useful content. Even Yorcia Skirmish has kinda died out (though its still common, just not nearly as common as it was last week) due to so many already capping out on gear, and not wanting to throw money at the coffer rank up lottery.

I know the outlook to take is "give it some time, many will come back from FFXIV" but I'm just not buying it, considering all I hear from friends who went there and FB feeds is "QQ NAs too good so SE fucked servers QQ," granted, that's supposed to be fixed today, last I heard. And even during this period of server congestion for FFXIV, numbers are so low.

Out of curiosity, does SE publicize their budget/profit from FFXI? I'm curious what the minimum number of active accounts/active servers would have to be for it to still turn enough profit to have developers working on new content. I don't think FFXI will have an overnight death like some say, but I'd like to know what sort of life expectancy we're looking at for the game.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Out of curiosity, does SE publicize their budget/profit from FFXI? I'm curious what the minimum number of active accounts/active servers would have to be for it to still turn enough profit to have developers working on new content. I don't think FFXI will have an overnight death like some say, but I'd like to know what sort of life expectancy we're looking at for the game.
    They've openly stated that they are the only subscription-based MMO developer, other than Blizzard, that does not need outside sponsors to keep their projects running. I commented on this elaborately somewhere else on BG (either in the FFXIV forums or the Gaming ones, perhaps—I'm not entirely sure), including said quotes, but I haven't the time to dig that up at the moment. However, at this point, FFXI is profoundly profitable. The only threat to its existence is the financial drain that is and has been FFXIV, and any other poor business decisions that the company may make.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Would love to read that post if you can find it. I did a few searches, but the closest I came up with was this. Searched your name with KWs such as profit, Blizzard, subscription-based, MMO developer, etc, but no luck.

Nevermind, found it. Forgot to click all open forums instead of just FFXI. XD Found lots of other insightful posts regarding SE's business practices and stuff. Good reads that I wasn't aware were out there.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm glad you found that (and others). I tend to post about the industry a lot.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Seol View Post
    As of today, I logged on and there were 3 characters online in my LS, 2 of them were mine, 756 people in /sea all, all of the /yells were for Yorcia (already got all the gear for both characters) and I've been fishing hakus to buy +2 stones, then I just realized what would be the point on even getting perfect/max augments, if I'm just gonna afk/not do anything with the gear (was done with Delve before Skirmish too). .
    I get to this point sometimes... usually that's when I just fish/afk and either do some solo stuff like random missions quests or right now monstrosity I want or accumlate the gil for when things get interesting. That way when my interest returns or things just come out I already have the boring and/or time consuming farming and other random solo stuff done.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    They've openly stated that they are the only subscription-based MMO developer, other than Blizzard, that does not need outside sponsors to keep their projects running. I commented on this elaborately somewhere else on BG (either in the FFXIV forums or the Gaming ones, perhaps—I'm not entirely sure), including said quotes, but I haven't the time to dig that up at the moment. However, at this point, FFXI is profoundly profitable. The only threat to its existence is the financial drain that is and has been FFXIV, and any other poor business decisions that the company may make.
    This is why I have so much mixed feelings about FFXIV. On the one had it is resources and subscriptions that theoretically could be going to ffxi. How much is hard to speculate but there has definitely been some shift both times it was released. On the other hand as long as the company exists and xi is making them money they will do something even if it's debately lower and lower quality/quanity but if FFXIV fails again the financial hurt caused by that might effect there ability to allocate resources to XI. Wonder if/where the happy median is for XI anyways

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i basicly stoped playing XI for the past 3 days. only logged in for LS events. there is just nothing to do and I am enjoying 14 atm. waiting for delve 2.0 and the REM update. it really depends on the quality of the next 3-4 version updates if i will stick to 11 or shift totaly to 14. howevwr i dont want to ditch 11 but stareing at a screen with nothing to do isnt fun either

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Yeah, Yorcia Skirmishes really could not have come at a worse time. Delve was something of a time sink already, and devalued everything previous to the point where it was kind of a waste to do everything else, but at least it kept people going for a few months with the upgrade processes. However, there's no time sink with Yorcia at all, it's an incredibly shallow event that essentially boils down to spamming runs or gil for stones until you get the augments you want. Once you're done with that (and most people are done already), you have some of the best armor in the game (in many cases the best by far, replacing at least 2/3 of R15 Delve armor and frequently even outdoing Delve boss gear - wtf?), and then you have nothing left to play it with. This is amplified by the fact that they're just throwing +1 stones at us with the next Login campaign. I guess logging in daily is a Content Level 14 event now?

I logged in last night during the ARR maintenance, and it was just sad. Two groups in Cirdas (U), no interesting shouts, tons of AFK people everywhere, fewer than 900 total online at NA primetime. I know they said they weren't going to do roadmap type things anymore, but FFXI could REALLY use a roadmap right about now so people know what's in the pipeline and have some reason to want to stick around.
    Pretty much this. Got my oatixurs and then it was just more delve shit every day; that + going on vacation to CA and having a month off of XI, just couldn't come back. Would log in for the campaign for my choco suit and log off. Would see my /lscomment "anyone have any friends who want to come along for events?" lol from the shell with the most rejected apps I've ever for the longest time. Almost wanted to play but then was like nah fuck that. Probably going to cancel soon w/o a road map rly; nothing to look forward to. Making the full jump to 14 now that they've done something about the server problems there.

One thing I loved about XI back in the day was Ballista, which has been dead for years. Even when I had all the gear I wanted, I'd log in, do ls events to help them, then hit up the battlefield for ballista. The pvp aspect of it never got old/boring. Would set my alarm for 3am if there was a match then. While it may not have been the most balanced thing in the world, the team work, strategies, etc. in an official match (not just 1v1) required more skill than anything else in all of XI. It was a blast the few years it lasted.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

To be fair to Yorica skirmishes, FFXI was hurting for content even before they were introduced. If you had capped out on Delve boss gear (as many of us had) there was really not much to do. I have still not done Yorica Skirmishes (zero desire because I have no need to improve my gear). Currently all I do is:
    1) Spend my built up Imps.
    2) Level Monstrosity monsters while afk.

I went away for 9 days starting on the FFXIV release weekend, and when I came back FFXI had finally dissolved to the point that it is genuinely only a chat service.

This problem exists because they invalidated RMEs and failed to provide enough content to replace all the RME-related content.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

More that they invalidated most of the game lol, not just RMEs.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

With promises to invalidate the content they just released that invalidated the previous. Makes me feel like a hamster in a wheel. Might as well get off and wait for them to calm there tits some

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    With promises to invalidate the content they just released that invalidated the previous. Makes me feel like a hamster in a wheel. Might as well get off and wait for them to calm there tits some
    while i do love vertical progress compared to the stagnant sidegrade shit we had at 75. I do agree that at the moment gear is getting to fast obsolete. shit delve gear just got to some degree onsolete via skirmish or WKR after 3 months. Imho to fast. they should push vertical growth gear every 8-10 months while filling the months inbetween with reasonable sidegrade gear. but pushing out every 2-3 months gear out that makes everything else obsolete is mindbogus. Not only does it not work well with FFXI (unless its a very casuel friendly event) but it also brings huge instability to the market/ AH since people tend to hold off buying stuff, when ALL shit gets obsolete every 3 months.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

There desperately needs to be more of a variety of relevant events to do. Right now all we have is delve and afk for x amount of time to not get +2 stones, if we don't count monstrosity.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    while i do love vertical progress compared to the stagnant sidegrade shit we had at 75. I do agree that at the moment gear is getting to fast obsolete. shit delve gear just got to some degree onsolete via skirmish or WKR after 3 months. Imho to fast. they should push vertical growth gear every 8-10 months while filling the months inbetween with reasonable sidegrade gear. but pushing out every 2-3 months gear out that makes everything else obsolete is mindbogus. Not only does it not work well with FFXI (unless its a very casuel friendly event) but it also brings huge instability to the market/ AH since people tend to hold off buying stuff, when ALL shit gets obsolete every 3 months.
    Yeah needs to be some balance if you do vertical gear progression. Like ya know make it last long enough so you don't feel like you are spending all your time in a nonstop upgrade-a-thon never being able to really explore new content or gear or changes in the game. I mean we don't even have time to test half the gear before new stuff comes out. Plus resources spent on obsoleting everything could be spent in making ya know fun content <.<

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

3pm est on a saturday, 758 online. Linkshell has 7 characters on (3 me, 2 are 1 person, and 2 others), friends list has 5 people on.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Odin, Saturday, 4:30pm est, 895