+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FPS Recommendations     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FPS Recommendations

I was in the store, checking out the games out of curiosity (I was buying something else) and realized there are a lot of FPS out there, and all I've played was Enemy Territory (the free one from a while back, not the Quake Wars). I liked Enemy Territory a lot, maybe because it was free, but I'm a little out of the loop on current FPS affairs. I've never played Half-Life, CS, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, ET:Quake Wars, or pretty much anything else. Well, I have played the original HL a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it.

So, based on multiplayer aspects, what FPS would people recommend? I'm more interested in goal-oriented team-based objectives and as few douchebag players as possible.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: FPS Recommendations

Orange Box.

TF2 is the fucking shitznizzle.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

wait for ut3 coming out end of this month

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha
    Orange Box.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've heard mixed reviews about TF2. Is it good, or does it suck? And what sort of goals and teamplay (besides simple stuff like CTF) will UT3 offer?

Orange Box.

TF2 is the fucking shitznizzle.
    This is truth, and its not over-hype, sincerely, its not.

Portal is amazing. You hear about it all the time I'm sure, but really, its incredible

HL2 Ep1+Ep2 are great in and of themselves, as well - if you liked the HL series, pick it up for that, at the very least.

TF2... is epic. Its not your normal super-serious get down to business FPS, but its so much FUN; at the end of the day a lot of games lack that (lolMMORPGs) and you realize you didn't really have much fun but you got stuff done. EVERY SINGLE TIME I play this game I laugh my ass off at something; I have a ball, just incredulous amounts of fun, I'd pay the 50 bucks for Orange Box JUST for TF2 without a second glance.

If you have a machine that can run it, COD4 and Crysis will both own big time; COD4 is tomorrow (today? forgot) and Crysis is next week, and both look to be the 'next' Battlefield series of online FPS communities. I had a great BF2 clan (have) and with how much fun we had there, I can't wait to move into COD4/Crysis with them, it will be amazing.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    I've heard mixed reviews about TF2. Is it good, or does it suck? And what sort of goals and teamplay (besides simple stuff like CTF) will UT3 offer?
    It's good, very good, so good I pre-purchased the damn Orange Box just so I could get in on the beta...

The main beefs people have against the game from what I've seen is just the overall lack of maps, but what's there is great, and Valve is very likely to add maps to the game over time like they have been with CS:S...

Barely anyone plays CTF if that comes to you as a surprise, but that's partly fault to there only being the one CTF map to begin with, which is just a modified version of 2fort from TFC...

The main meat of the game comes from the control-point maps, which each vary in their rules and setup.
    (some play a tug-of-war match of capturing bases, another is straight out team A must capture all, team B must defend until time runs out, then there's the capture map based on doing sectors of a map at a time)

With control-point maps, it basically comes down to hoping you're on a good server so you can bloody communicate with people (re: your team actually has mic users), and from there, spend a few sec surveying the team's demands. Lack of healers? Go medic and stick with a DD class to keep him alive so you can push through a defense. Large map with open areas? Go engineer, setup teleports so your team can get from point A to B fast, setup sentry guns as a means of defense against opposition, setup dispensers to heal nearby friendlies, and restore your scraps to make more stuff.

Basically, I can go on and on for each and every class, they all got their strength/weaknesses paper-rock-scissor style, but anyways, it just adds up to a fuckload of fun when you get in with a good group. I've had some insane matches where my team just wasn't expecting to win, but we did due to the coordination between members just keeping the opposition away.

Makes me wish Valve would quit bathing in their moneys and release a god damn 1-map demo (preferably of Granary, love that map) so I can just tell people to try it out for themself.

I've barely touched any other games since TF2 came out besides Hellgate London. I haven't played CS:S in a long time, and I've been playing CS since I was 13. TF2 is fucking worth it.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

fuck TF2 -_-

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

My biggest gripe about TF2 is random crit rockets owning anyone's face, and Pyro's DoT is brutal. I typically play on No-crit servers.

TF2 is cool...but I crawled back to CS 1.6.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I actually just bought Orange Box the other day, but hadn't tried TF2 yet.

However, now I'm looking more at the whole Steam setup, and I can't figure out how to log in to the steam community. It keeps telling me my login info is wrong, and yet I can access it just fine from within the Steam program itself. I setup my profile already: http://steamcommunity.com/id/khamsin but I can't log in from a browser. I made an account at steampowered.com using the same username and password as I used when setting up my account from within the Steam program, but I still can't log into steamcommunity. Something tells me that a steampowered.com account was unnecessary and didn't need to be the same user/pass as I use to log into the Steam program.

So someone tell me... what user/pass do I use to log into the steam community using a browser, when not automatically logged in via the steam program?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Negrobump.

(I can self-bump right? This isn't KI)

Banned.

BG Level

I say UT, onslaught is so so much fun, but your mileage of goal oriented and team effort may vary.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

Go with TF2, but stay away from 2fort.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by djriceyes
    you're fucking insane, 2fort is like the best game type it has.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    Quote Originally Posted by djriceyes
    you're fucking insane, 2fort is like the best game type it has.
    If I have to play a CTF map, I'd rather go with Turbine.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Orange Box..

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thanks.. but does anyone have any suggestions as to my issue with trying to log into the Steam Community site in a browser (although logging into the Steam program will also log me into the Community site automatically, so I can still access it for now, but only from home).

Old Merits
    BG Level

enemy territory: quake wars

you mentioned that you like W:ET, well this game is pretty much built upon that playstyle (made by the same developers, Splash Damage). multi-objective based, assymetrical teams with a strong basis in teamwork and class diversity to win each map. i enjoy this style game much more than simple "capture the flag" or "just kill everyone" or "control area" type games.