Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Need some help on Coronach damage

Hi all, I have a pretty good understanding of the general WS and how it is calculated. For things like Cata I know the modifier being AGI and INT but unless your fstr is capped, STR should give pretty much the same bonus as the modifier, and generally str is the best for melee regardless of the modifier (being in at least fstr and pdif)

Now question, which is better for Coronach? STR or DEX or AGI? I know that for ranger, fstr is calculated as (str-mob's vit+2)/2, but caps at weapon rank x 2 so str should still be fairly important. The modifier is Dex 40% and AGI 40%. So I guess the question is how ranger's pdif is calculated, is str involved in determining it?

Thank you. And sorry I have tried the search function, but non really talks about Coronach other than the stage 5 relic weapon list topic, and it doesn't really say much.

Re: Need some help on Coronach damage

If Coronach is 40% AGI DEX, that means that you get (AGI+DEX)*.4*.83 in your base damage. As an approximation, 1*.4*.83=0.332, though WSC is floored at each point (rounded down). On the other hand, str gives you 1 fstr2 per 2 str as you say, so each point of str is equivalent to about .5 base damage - much higher than wsc stats, comparatively. Of course, AGI also adds r.acc, and STR also adds r.atk, so take that into consideration.

The simple answer is that STR is much more effective at adding base damage than AGI or DEX, up until the fstr2 cap. That said, in reality if you only need 1 or 2 agi/dex to reach the next wsc number, then in that particular instance, AGI/DEX is equally as effective or better.

For example:
    I dont know ranger stats, but if you have, say, 90 agi and 69 dex total.
    floor(floor((90+69)*.4)*.83)=52
    Add just 1 agi, and you get
    floor(floor((91+69)*.4)*.83)=53

So yeah. In theory, STR is usually better than dex or agi. In fact, sometimes 1 point of agi/dex can push your base damage up all the same.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

But fstr is capped at 18 for Anni, while if you have 60 agi you get 60 x 0.4 = 24 to easily have more. Tho you are risking to have negative fstr on harder mobs, which caps at -10.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    But fstr is capped at 18 for Anni, while if you have 60 agi you get 60 x 0.4 = 24 to easily have more. Tho you are risking to have negative fstr on harder mobs, which caps at -10.
    Which is why I said str is better up until your fstr is capped. Also, annihilator fstr2 cap is 26 [(47/9+8)*2]. It's unlikely you will cap fstr as rng on anything that matters according to VZX.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Is it? how did you get 26. I thought it is their Weapon rank x 2 + 8, so shouldn't that be 18?

(weaponrank+8)*2

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

In situations like this, I think it's better to look at your gear choices piece by piece than to make statements about how much of X stat equals Y stat in certain situations. For instance, as far as I know, the most STR you can get on legs as RNG is 3 from Pahl, but you can get 15 DEX from haidate. So ignoring things like r acc/atk, I'd think the haidate would definitely win out over the Pahluwan.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel
    In situations like this, I think it's better to look at your gear choices piece by piece than to make statements about how much of X stat equals Y stat in certain situations. For instance, as far as I know, the most STR you can get on legs as RNG is 3 from Pahl, but you can get 15 DEX from haidate. So ignoring things like r acc/atk, I'd think the haidate would definitely win out over the Pahluwan.
    Honestly thats how I think for most things.

It's all relative mang

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd be confused to gear for Coronach if I have a Annihilator myself

To get your fSTR2 capped on Annihilator, you need 48STR higher than enemy's VIT.
    Since RNG base STR is E (pretty low) as well as the STR gear choices for WS (I think we can have roughly +50 STR on WS); when you are faced to 1 to 1 point comparison, STR still give you better benefit.

Banned.

BG Level

math gibberish wtf =(

put on kclub and spam ws's

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin
    Honestly thats how I think for most things.

It's all relative mang
    well thats sort of implied, hence why I made a ratio. Approximately 0.33:0.5, agi/dex vs str. Of course wearing 1 str over 100 dex is stupid, thats not generally what the question is..

Sea Torques
    BG Level

upgrade the bow
    srsly, i'd propably go for a good balance of STR/AGI stuff since math gives me headache

Quote Originally Posted by Zalius
    math gibberish wtf =(

put on kclub and spam ws's
    besides that,

wouldn't AGI do more in general (boost acc too) I think a mix of STR & AGI would be best in all cases (DEX will have a lesser impact if you'd ask me)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

maat hydate osode kote ... that's 17 str 32 dex 32 agi already, the other parts should focus on str ofc.

Internet Haet Machine
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

There are no words to describe this pic!