BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Elemental staves and Bard.

Hi, I'm a BRD coming up on elemental stave level and I was just wondering what the exact effect of staves are in regards to bard magic. For example does a light stave increase the amount of attack added for minuet? Any advice would be much appreciated as I would like to know if I should sell my signa and hop to staves or not.

Re: Elemental staves and Bard.

Just accuracy. They do nothing for buffs.

Tonko

Yes hop to staves, signa is worthless compared to Light/Apollo and Earth/Terra's. Chanter's staff is complete crap btw except for the very few times where it will push you up to the next singing skill tier for buff songs, so don't get one.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So Earth for Elegy and Light for other debuffs?

Tonko

Earth for Elegy & Ltng. Threnody & Light for Requiem, Lullaby, Finale, and Dark Threnody.

Each of the other threnodies corresponds to a staff that is strong to the element of the threnody, but it's not required to have those for just XPing. End game only really.

Even for end-game I can't think of too many instances where you'd need to be putting anything other than lightning threnody and carnage elegy on something. I carry around terra's and apollo's for exp, leaving my inventory free for yummy wind crystals.

Now someone will no doubt enlighten me as to an HNM which I've forgotten about, that needs something dumb like water threnody. Shit, I don't even think I own a thunder staff...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I actually got a pride staff for stoneskin. Not saying I'd expect anyone else to do it, but if you want a stoneskin set and have some inv space, it's kinda cool.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Make sure you actually get the HQs as soon as possible, seeing BRDs without them is pretty bad.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I use Aquilo's for wind threnody on Ouryu, used NQ ice before, Aquilo's I'm just holding for a friend who 'quit'.
    Think I used a fire staff for ice threnody uh, once, btu it's so logn ago I don't even remember which mob that was for.

Terra's and Apollo's is all you need really. Those two, wind torque and mary's horn are the only 'big' items you'll need as BRD really. :3

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by beitlich
    I would like to know if I should sell my signa and hop to staves or not.
    Yes, sell it. Get minimally Light/Apollo's and Earth/Terra's.

Elemental Staves add magic accuracy to the song debuff you are casting. If you ever have any question as to which staff to use for which song (or any spell in the game for that matter) just look at the color of the icon next to the spell name in your magic list. You'll notice the white icon next to lullaby and requiem and the yellow icon next to elegies. This means that you get the effect of the magic accuracy from using light and earth staves respectively.

As far as getting other staves, it really depends on what you will be doing with BRD end game. If you don't plan on doing HNMs there's really no need to get other staves for threnodies but if you do I recommend carrying them around. Bear in mind that end game threnodies aren't just used for BLMs. You can also use them to help other jobs land spells (like RDM and NIN debuffs) as well as to help skillchain damage from a light or dark magic burst.

As stated before, elemental staves do nothing for buffs. Only skill (e.g. wind skill for Minuet when combined with a Cornette +1) has an effect on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryskar
    I actually got a pride staff for stoneskin. Not saying I'd expect anyone else to do it, but if you want a stoneskin set and have some inv space, it's kinda cool.
    I also carry around a Stoneskin set and I think many BRDs underestimate it's use. I have capped stoneskin and a defense gear macro on BRD and it's saved my ass many times. I have enough MND gear to cap it without a Pride staff but for anyone who's subbing WHM on BRD a stoneskin set is a great idea.

Summary:

Bare minimum staves:
    Apollo's - Lullaby, Requiem, Finale, Dark Threnody
    Terra's - Elegy, Ltng. Threnody, "Oh Shit" macro

Next most useful:
    Vulcan's - used for Ice Threnody. Given the right conditions, Ice spells can be more potent than thunder so this threnody is just as important as Ltng. imo. Can help land Paralyze.
    Aquilo's - used for Wind Threnody. Can help land silence and gravity as well.
    Neptune's - Stoneskin
    Dark/Pluto's - Light Threnody and hMP. Ideally a BRD won't have to rest MP often but it does happen and there's no reason not to carry around a dark staff for it.

Then get the rest for super situational stuff. e.g. Auster's for landing earth threnody. Why would you want to do that? Because slow II is awesome and if a RDM is having problems landing it you can help them out with threnodies.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I usually carry a full set on BRD, HQ Light and Earth, NQ everything else. BLM and RDM love threnodies, and it's fun helping them get the best out of their arsenal.

I do sometimes feel guilty for helping them kill themselves though. Unresisted overnuking ftw, especially if they also have SV double INT etude. BRD-assisted suicide. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko
    Yes hop to staves, signa is worthless compared to Light/Apollo and Earth/Terra's. Chanter's staff is complete crap btw except for the very few times where it will push you up to the next singing skill tier for buff songs, so don't get one.

I cry when I see 75 brds running around with a chanter staff... had one brd in my previous ls that swore by it

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais
    I cry when I see 75 brds running around with a chanter staff... had one brd in my previous ls that swore by it
    I used it to hit the next tier on buffs on the way to 75, and before I got decent gear, to hit the cap on minuet/madrigal for merits. Now with merits and a proper skill setup, I'm trying in vain to sell the thing.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I carry mine around because Im too lazy to get a pride staff for stoneskin (wooo 1 more MND :O) and I just macro it into my buffs just because I have it and it gives a little bit amount of skill. Why not?

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphet
    I also carry around a Stoneskin set and I think many BRDs underestimate it's use. I have capped stoneskin and a defense gear macro on BRD and it's saved my ass many times. I have enough MND gear to cap it without a Pride staff but for anyone who's subbing WHM on BRD a stoneskin set is a great idea.
    Sorry to derail but can you detail what's in your MND build? I was trying to figure out what I could get to complete this but I either don't have access to it (Goliard) or can't finish it just yet (Marduk). Right now I'm using Yigit head, Enhancing Torque, Errant body, Yigit hands...and that's it.

Edit: I forgot, I have Bard's Cannions too. I'm hume, so I think my MND is something like 70+41 and 112 Enhancing.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

If you want to do Salvage, get at least an NQ Fire Staff. Lightning is horrible on archaic machinery. My Fire Staff and Requiem Flute are basically only for Salvage (Requiem is great on chariots and Poroggo). Well okay, the Fire Staff is for JoL too.

I just have HQ light/earth and NQ fire/dark. They've served me well in pretty much everything.

For Stoneskin, so far I have:

Marduk's Jubbah
    Bard's Cannions
    Yigit Gages
    Yigit Turban
    Suzaku's Sune-ate

...and that's all I can fit in a PS2 macro and still have it cast Stoneskin. Basically, I asked myself "Which slots have the highest MND potential?" and "What do I carry around anyway?" I'll probably try and add some stuff to this after SE implements the extra macro books, as I'll be able to make several situational BRD builds rather than cramming everything (including level caps) into 3 sets. Plus I'll have a few more inventory spaces...if you lust after Sylphet's MND build, remember that she also has Gjallerhorn >.>

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Yigit Glove and head, Errant Body, Rostrum Pumps and AF2 legs is what I use atm, not sure what it puts my stoneskin at though, haven't bothered testing. There's some easy to get stuff I could get to improve SS, but short of seiryu feet I don't really want to lug around that much more equip, for a secondary job.

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skirkle
    Sorry to derail but can you detail what's in your MND build? I was trying to figure out what I could get to complete this but I either don't have access to it (Goliard) or can't finish it just yet (Marduk). Right now I'm using Yigit head, Enhancing Torque, Errant body, Yigit hands...and that's it.

Edit: I forgot, I have Bard's Cannions too. I'm hume, so I think my MND is something like 70+41 and 112 Enhancing.
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...het/BRDMND.jpg

I keep pluto, apollo, terra, and vulcan on me on brd. ice threnody for stuff like aspid and khim is pretty nice, that's the reason for vulcans

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Skirkle

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i308/ ... BRDMND.jpg
    Do you have an extra 30 inventory that no one else knows about? I wish I had the room to carry a MND set on Atum's BRD. >_>