Item Search

BG-Wiki Search

View Poll Results: Does the TH from Thief's Knife kick in while on the off hand?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

150 87.72%
  • No

21 12.28%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Does Thief's Knife work in the offhand?

Hello Friends

A simple question that has not being answered concretely as far as my searches go. This question will help the many thief's out there know once and for all if they can use Blau dolch on main hand on HNM's while having thief's knife on the off hand for TH to kick in.

Thank You
    Soldier

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Re: Does Thief's Knife work in the offhand?

and how the hell would people test this out?

in before placebo effect

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I offhand it so that when I go for killing WS, it hits last so the TH+1 triggers.
    True story!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Only on watersday while facing east.
    With barfira up of course.

Edited for a somewhat constructive response: I Don't see why it wouldn't. Other effects work in offhand, why should this be so special?

Just put it in your main hand, do a WS, gain some emnity, switch it to sub or ::gasp:: put it away altogether.

Of course you didn't use the search function because had you, you would have found an article recently posted about information released by SE stating that TH doesn't stack, the highest level of TH to gain emnity on the mob is the one recorded, and after gaining emnity you can die, zone, change jobs, whatever, and that TH effect will still be in place.

assburgers
    BG Level

I imagine TH would be something like the status icons we have on our screens when hit by something, so the instant you get on the hate list, a TH2-3-4 status pops up on the mob, and then they can just swap you out for someone else for all it matters.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Q: Do multiple instances of Treasure Hunter in a single party increase the chances of a drop? When exactly does the effect of Treasure Hunter take place?
    A: When more than one member has Treasure Hunter, the player with the strongest version will have theirs take effect for the party. The effect comes into play as soon as the Thief generates enmity from the target enemy. Even if the Thief dies, the effect remains.
    I would assume the hand you're wielding the THF knife with becomes indifferent, based on the fact that the THF does not need to get the killing blow. But for the sake of the argument, let's say you do need the killing blow and that the TH knife-wielding hand does matter. If you were to get the killing blow with the offhand (non-THF knife), the argument stipulates that you wouldn't get the TH+1, thus it would be better not to dual-wield at all.

the highest level of TH to gain emnity on the mob is the one recorded, and after gaining emnity you can die, zone, change jobs, whatever, and that TH effect will still be in place.
    It was stated that the THF could die, but I'm not entirely convinced as to whether or not zoning would affect it. If that were true, I wonder if TH effect would remain even if the mob were to reset.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

So what's the difference between Thief's Knife and Assassin's Armlets?

You have to main-hand Assassin Armlet's for TH to work?

assburgers
    BG Level

Guy said he did Thf/Blm, spammed Sleepga in Dyna-Lastok, got 350 Coins >.> so you don't even have to touch it, just do something that puts you on it's hate list, and it will have TH status inflicted on it.

More and more I suspect that TH causes a different size of lootpool to be rifled through.

No TH leaving more empty slots, TH1 giving maybe 1 less empty slot, and so on so forth.

Noticed it from some situations where I had been farming certain fairly ordinary things with TH1, then later on was going past the same mobs with a non/Thf sub, killed a few while killing time and noticed certain items just wouldn't drop without TH.

No real way that I can think of to test, but thinking of TH as an impairment to the mob, it would be reducing the number of empty slots the game can pick from when deciding drops, and possibly one of the higher TH's (likely TH2, as it's the unique Thf trait, and not gear) weights rare, /ex, rare/ex items more favorably.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilswitche
    Q: Do multiple instances of Treasure Hunter in a single party increase the chances of a drop? When exactly does the effect of Treasure Hunter take place?
    A: When more than one member has Treasure Hunter, the player with the strongest version will have theirs take effect for the party. The effect comes into play as soon as the Thief generates enmity from the target enemy. Even if the Thief dies, the effect remains.
    I would assume the hand you're wielding the THF knife with becomes indifferent, based on the fact that the THF does not need to get the killing blow. But for the sake of the argument, let's say you do need the killing blow and that the TH knife-wielding hand does matter. If you were to get the killing blow with the offhand (non-THF knife), the argument stipulates that you wouldn't get the TH+1, thus it would be better not to dual-wield at all.

[quote:1gr3x9s9]the highest level of TH to gain emnity on the mob is the one recorded, and after gaining emnity you can die, zone, change jobs, whatever, and that TH effect will still be in place.
    It was stated that the THF could die, but I'm not entirely convinced as to whether or not zoning would affect it. If that were true, I wonder if TH effect would remain even if the mob were to reset.[/quote:1gr3x9s9]

Take it for what you will, but Elmer said this on the first page of his thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy
    A Thief can load up on Treasure Hunter, plink the enemy once, and then switch to full out fighting gear. There was a study in a JP guide that showed they could literally disband, go home and change jobs, come back and join the fight, and the drop rates were basically unaffected.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Max™
    Guy said he did Thf/Blm, spammed Sleepga in Dyna-Lastok, got 350 Coins >.> so you don't even have to touch it, just do something that puts you on it's hate list, and it will have TH status inflicted on it.
    This doesn't exactly prove anything, considering 350 singles is normal in a full-clear Bastok. If that's 350 included any 100 coins, that's pretty bad - we usually get 1-3 100 coins there. :/

Yes it works in offhand.

assburgers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Max™
    This doesn't exactly prove anything, considering 350 singles is normal in a full-clear Bastok. If that's 350 included any 100 coins, that's pretty bad - we usually get 1-3 100 coins there. :/

Yes it works in offhand.
    I think his point was that by doing nothing but spamming Sleepga, he got normal coin drops for having Thf there?

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

[quote=Max™]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizerd
    Quote Originally Posted by "Max™":ilxcfsml

Yes it works in offhand.
    I think his point was that by doing nothing but spamming Sleepga, he got normal coin drops for having Thf there?[/quote:ilxcfsml]

I was the thief that went thf/blm and spammed sleepga in Bastok. The 350 coins does not include 100 coins. Here are the exact stats from that run. It wasn't a new or full moon btw.

342 - An one byne bill
    24 - An infinity core
    5 - An ito
    1 - A pair of melee gaiters
    18 - A sparkling stone
    10 - A chunk of wootz ore <--- mad money!!
    5 - A relic blade
    6 - A relic scythe
    5 - A relic axe
    3 - A pair of summoner's bracers
    8 - A mythril beastcoin
    10 - A vial of slime juice
    2 - A sorcerer's tonban
    2 - An one hundred byne bill
    2 - A pair of wyrm brais
    4 - A gold beastcoin
    2 - A pair of saotome kote
    1 - A pair of duelist's gloves

Instead of having a thief in each party prior to the new Treasure Hunter "patch", we now have 1 Thief and more DD. Take the information and decide for yourself. ^.^b.

-V

PS - Lots of relic weapons! Could dynamis coins drop from the new expansion pack areas? Rofl.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Only on Lightsday with double dark weather and the moon @ exactly 50%. And I would say yes it works in the offhand slot.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

What effects are there that do NOT work in offhand?

The only ones I can think of are properties of the weapon themselves (crit hit, tp bonus, attacks 2-# times, etc).

TH+1 doesn't seem to fit in with these other properties, so I'd guess it works fine in the offhand.

Edit: Let me clarify. Crit hit, and attacks 2-# times work in offhand, but only affect that hand instead of affecting the player as a whole. Hope that makes more sense, I'm sure you all know what I meant anyways.

Relic triple proc does not work in offhand -- neither mainhand or to the weapon itself!

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

as sort of another post to tack on that's somewhat related...

would thf/blm have the easiest time of pinging for minimal hate?
    or would thf/whm tossing a cure one onto the tank(s)/blms have it easier?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramor
    as sort of another post to tack on that's somewhat related...

would thf/blm have the easiest time of pinging for minimal hate?
    or would thf/whm tossing a cure one onto the tank(s)/blms have it easier?
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25807

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Why would anyone ask this question? Of course it would. Put a blau dolch in your offhand and check your atk afterwards... Don't think it would apply to one attribute and not another.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Every time i see this question, i want to shoot myself. does it say "lattent effect: TH+1" NO IT DOESNT. There is no way to prove if it works in offhand. And to the guy who went thf/blm, i did dyna bastok last night. we got over 650 currency(100's included) 5 sams, 4 plds, 2 mnk, 1 smn, 1 blm(stolen, lets not get into detail) brd, rdm, drk, and 4 100's dropped. i was thf/nin my friend was thf/nin we both have TH4. So yes, it works in off-hand. FFS.