+ Reply to Thread
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Confessor (The Sword of Truth)

The final installment of the Sword of Truth, Terry Goodkind's massive fantasy series, comes out tomorrow. I'm totally skipping class tomorrow to pick it up.

Is anyone else as excited as I am?

Re: Confessor (The Sword of Truth)

Quote Originally Posted by Therin
    The final installment of the Sword of Truth, Terry Goodkind's massive fantasy series, comes out tomorrow. I'm totally skipping class tomorrow to pick it up.

Is anyone else as excited as I am?
    Never heard of it, but I do love a good fantasy series. Currently on book 3 of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

So you'd recommend it? Perhaps I'll check it out for Christmas.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yes and no. Yes because the series is awesome, no because Confessor is the last book in the series ; ; though he did say he might write more in the Sword of Truth world, just end the current story arc with Confessor.

I've purposely been reading them slow so they seem to last longer >.>

for the love of god do not pick up this series unless you like to read some maniac's political ramblings for literally thousands of pages. goodkind is, imo, the worst author i've ever had the displeasure of reading. do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this series as possible.

So it's a fantasy book with his own political opinions put into it?

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I hated this series.

The writing style is good, BUT Every book seems to follow the same plotlines. And it's iono how an author can write a 700+ page book where he has no time to write about his sub characters.

In otherwords he focuses too much on the main characters and the supporting characters randomly appear and dissappear with little explination on where they were.

Definitely not a fan. XD

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

I'll probably pick it up once I find a non-hardcover just to finish the series.

I thought they were decent books, but not the most intriguing plots or character development.

What I really can't wait for is George R.R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons .

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

A friend of mine was stating that it was supposed to release earlier this year but hadn't, so it's due any day now supposedly , currently on Clash of Kings~

I really liked the first book for its story, but after that my interest tapered off. I feel like Goodkind had a really good idea for one book, it did well, and then they signed him for 8 more. (or however many there were, I only read 4 more or so) I'd imagine its hard to try and stretch a series over that many 600 page books. I would recommend the first book though. It's essentially Star Wars.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

My favorite fantasy writter is always going to be Margaret Weis. She might be a 60 years old grandma, but her books are great. Early dragon lance were ok, but every other series she wrote after were great. Favorite one is Death Gate Cycle.

I might try a few book recommanded in this thread, I need to find something to read to get away of FFXI.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Kompressor?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eoA0gW6DWlM

(Don't mind the video, retards doin a school project I think.)

This is my favorite fantasy series I've ever read, and I've read a lot of them. He may not be the best technical author I've read, but I love how he organizes a story around his ideology. I will admit though, that I'm most certainly biased in this respect. I, just like Goodkind, am a huge fan of Ayn Rand. So reading a fantasy series based around objectivism is a huge thrill for me.

If you want non-stop quality in fantasy, check out Steven Erikson's Malazan series. I can't recommend this guy enough.