+ Reply to Thread

Run out of room on main Drive...

ok so this is how my PC is
    http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...1987/space.jpg
    Disk E and C are the same hard drive but there's a seperation thing on it, no idea how to take this out or if it would be a good idea. FFXI is install on E drive so as you can see I won't have room for wings of the godess or maybe even the patch today.... so I need to make FFXI run from Disk Drive D... I've tried installing it there, deleting it on disk E then loading it from Disk D but it doesn't get past POL viewer. I've installed Windows on Drive D and tried to make it my main Drive which didn't work either...

So I need to know how, if possible, I can have FFXI (8 GB) on D Drive and delete it from E drive, I don't know anything about PCs but I hope I've explained it ok, only option I can think of is to buy a new PC but there must be an easier way.

thx

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Re: Run out of room on main Drive...

They're called partitions, and I'm not sure why you have 3 of them. You can combine partitions, but you need software to do so and you typically can lose data easily. I'd remove FFXI completely via Add/Remove programs, then reinstall everything to your main (D drive. It should work then.

The one drive is partitoned into 2, the D Drive is a seprate 120 GB drive.
    What do you mean install everything on D? I've installed windows on Disk Drive D but maybe I haven't installed FFXI onto it since I did that.... when I tried before it didn't work

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

You want a utility like partition magic to do what you want I believe.

Alternatively if C and E are the same drive and the C drive is the one you want to extend,

1. backup absolutely everything on E: to something
    2. make sure nothing is using that drive
    3. delete E:\ and the associated partition
    4. convert drive C: to Dynamic Disk (right click my computer -> manage -> storage -> disk management -> right click the disk (c is typically called "Disk 0") and one of the options will be convert to dynamic disk.
    5. expand/extend drive or something to that effect to add storage to it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Actually on second thought just run the pol install and ffxi install to the D: drive and copy all your FFXI files over from E: when you are done then just run a FFXI "check files" and you'll have your macro's and everything.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

gparted is a free, better version of partition magic

I'm surprised they're partitioned in the first place. Usually you'll have two different partitions when you only have one drive - one large one for data storage and a smaller "tweeter" for faster access times on programs you use a lot. But, with your setup, you already have that using two different drives. Something to think about next time you do a complete xp reinstall, can redo your partitions then quite easily. Anyway I digress.

Yes you'll have to reinstall everything. I'd recommend backing up your pol files onto cd or dvd, then uninstalling on E, reinstalling on D, and copying the files back over.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by levish
    Actually on second thought just run the pol install and ffxi install to the D: drive and copy all your FFXI files over from E: when you are done then just run a FFXI "check files" and you'll have your macro's and everything.
    Sorry for the slight bump. I'm kind of in the same problem as the OP. I have FFXI installed onto a 5 gig partition (D that's getting to be too small for it. I have a 100 gig partition (E that I use for movies and music, and I want to install FFXI here, but would rather avoid the painful process of a full uninstall and patch.

So, just to get this straight before I do anything, I can uninstall FFXI thru Control Panel, and it will keep all the patch files plus macros? So I can install POL, FFXI, and the expansions onto my 100 gig partition and I can just copy and paste what was left from the POL folder from D: onto E: and that should work without having to download a massive patch?