Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I remember there used to be a History of Vana'diel website that eventually went away, but did anyone ever relaunch/repost it anywhere? I never got to finish reading all of it, and I always wanted to.

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    I remember there used to be a History of Vana'diel website that eventually went away, but did anyone ever relaunch/repost it anywhere? I never got to finish reading all of it, and I always wanted to.
    Someone at neko-sentai saved it, of course.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

them perverts are alright

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    He's Promathia after he absorbs Sehl'teus. He just kills you (the player) and your party. It would be interesting if he had turned you, Ulmia, and all them into Caturae but what I gathered from Prishe's explanation was that she was basically forced to sit there and watch as you were torn to shreds and such.
    Actually he didn't just kill you and your party outright--
    Quote Originally Posted by Prishe
    We went up against Promathia, [your name here].
    We took on the Twilight God...but we couldn't finish the job.

We got our butts handed to us, in fact, all that dropkicking to no avail.
    You and your comrades were all swallowed up...and there was nothing I could do but stand by and watch in stunned horror.
    I generally take this to mean that your counterpart's essence was absorbed as well, especially considering your counterpart had all 5 lights (light of dem/mea/holla/vahzl/al'taieu) at the time of the fight.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

just curious..
    for anyone who is following the Voidwatch "storyline", any idea where alternate Cait and Kupofried come from? Or the Voidwatch NMs for that matter? I don't think they explicitly mention anything...

I'm wondering if they have any relation to the Abyssea storyline at all because they appear in the past as well. There's the issue of naming of the Stratum Abyssite, but thats mostly NA side because the Japanese name for Abyssite is Jade.

Also, since it actually has a storyline and involves WotG areas I'm wondering next if it's actually in relation with WotG (planar confluence with Lilith's world of strife).. and whether we'll see Lilisette again

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Well seeing as how the premise of WotG was basically "hey, what if the allies really lost the war?" (and hence no dead Shadowlord to lead to the events in RoZ). And then the premise of Abyssea was basically "hey, what if the player really failed at killing Promathia in CoP?". So then I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Voidwatch is some result of "hey, what if the player failed to stop Lilith?" or some more inane bullshit like that. I could see Lilith's reality coming into play maybe and maybe tying into the end of Wings.

Ridill
    BG Level

Here's a question I thought of out of boredom. Literally, I sat here for like a minute just thinking of a question to ask, and it probably doesn't have an answer.

Behemoth's Dominion & King Behemoth;
    Was it always "Behemoth's Dominion" because Behemoths lived there for as long as people remember, or are they like the Gigas and brought into Qufim during the war only to just make it their home after?

Ridill
    BG Level

Was Areuhat/Odzmanouk ever explained? Like what it's doing there, how/why it can change into an elvaan, and why/how it cares about us?
    And was she 1 of the Wyrms seen with Bahamut during the CoP cutscenes?
    I know Vrtra, Tiamat, Jorm, Ouryu were there, but then there were 2 plain skin Wyrms which could be Nid, Faf, Wyrm, or Odz. was it ever said which the 2 were?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Was Areuhat/Odzmanouk ever explained? Like what it's doing there, how/why it can change into an elvaan, and why/how it cares about us?
    There is a quest that starts in Southern San d'Oria [S] (Elvaan M, Nichais) that explains a bunch about Areuhat. Not a whole bunch, but some. This quest also allows you to trade Shell Bugs to her for influence instead of just meds iirc.

And was she 1 of the Wyrms seen with Bahamut during the CoP cutscenes?
    I know Vrtra, Tiamat, Jorm, Ouryu were there, but then there were 2 plain skin Wyrms which could be Nid, Faf, Wyrm, or Odz. was it ever said which the 2 were?
    I don't know if there was a clear answer in the quest (its been... years? lol) but I don't think she was referenced to being part of Bahamut's Wyrm Army. If I had to guess, the other 2 are supposed to be Fafnir/Nidhogg (considering at the time, that would be all the wyrms there were! pretty certain KS99 was added post COP, no?)

From what I can remember, Areuhat is from the Far East (i.e.; Aht Urhgan) and hated it there? I haven't been to Shadowreign in a while, I might go rewatch those cutscenes, JUST FOR YOU.

More in-depth answers as I rewatch the CS:

They don't explain why she transforms/if she is unique in that capacity, just that she is known to do so and prefers to talk to mortals in her Elvaan form. She flew to Grauberg from the Far East (no reason given) and entered a pact with a knight, which is why she remains in the Middle Lands. She agreed to guard an Elvaan knight and his line in exchange for their help in defending Grauberg. Nichais also mentions "ordinary wyrms" and other stuff, so it's very possible that there are wyrms not in Bahamut's employ.

Bahaha, here we go. Areuhat originally came to the Middle Lands seeking a place to nest. She wanted a "sacred mountain welcoming in its majesty and shrouded in a primeval silence." Grauberg allegedly fit the bill, until recently (well, until around the Crystal War) when the beastmen started mucking it up. The vow/oath Areuhat had with the old elvaan knight was not kept up, as he died and no one continued the human end of the bargain.

"It was not without reason that I chose to take wing and cross the oceans." so obviously something in the East pissed her off. Judging by the fact Nichais thinks the whole idea of Odzmanouk is something of a fairy tale would seem to say that Areuhat came to Quon a very long time ago, probably around Ragnarok? I can't think of many cataclysmic reasons for abandoning your old home and legions of ardent followers for!

As for why exactly she stays and fights in the Crystal War, I'd recommend doing the quest, it's simple and short. Beast from the East, requires a small jog in Grauberg twice and talking to Nichais and 1 shell bug. But considering I've already explained a great deal and even quoted the quest I might as well...

Spoiler: show
    Essentially, she was sleeping, which is apparently something wyrms do for long periods of time and why she needed to be protected by the Elvaan knight. Eventually, she woke up, around the beginning of WoTG, which is why she's fatigued/tired in Grauberg [S] when headhunting. At least, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it! So, she wakes up and Grauberg is well, a lot different, Quavdars everywhere, war was beginning etc. so she's not too happy and going to leave.To complicate matters, emissaries from East have come to ask for her return. They really fucking love her over there, Nichais mentions wyrm cults devoted to her, but not if they are Eastern or Western-based. Probably both, but Areuhat certainly hails from the East. (Going with Near East, considering Wyrmseeker Areuhat can be found in Al Zhabi.) In the end of the quest, it's revealed Nichais is a descendant of the original Elvaan knight and by showing he was willing to die defending Grauberg (in addition to yourself), Areuhat agrees to remain in the West for a while longer. Also the Eastern emissaries piss her off by calling her Odzmanouk when they think she can't hear them. Apparently that really gets her goat. So that's the answer to your first bit of questions. I don't think there's a definitive answer to the second, but Areuhat seems far too compassionate to be part of Bahamut's groupies. She definitely seems to at the very least care about mortals, so I'd say she wasn't part of that cutscene. In addition, I'd also count the KS99 Wyrm out simply because.. well.. he's not named and therefore unimportant! But no, no official roster of wyrms was ever given for that CS.

Ridill
    BG Level

Oh, didn't see all that extra stuff you edited in. I saw youre 1st unedited post and never checked this post again until now lol
    Thanks
    and yeah, I can't do the quests cause my account's been inactive for a year or two lol

Next off-topic completely unimportant question!

Who is Balga and why did he have a dias in Giddeus?!!!

Balga's Dias
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dais

I assume he's an old timey prophet who may or may not be from the east where ever the Yagudo(Tengu was it?) originated, since the name doesn't sound like western Yagudo. or maybe it does. idk!

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chrian Kywind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

tengu have always lived there, it was explained by se. basically tarutarus owned all continents until bastok advanced in technology and sandy peeps fought back. and windy and the yagudo have always been in a "relationship.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Has the terminology surrounding the crags ever been explained? IE Why "Dem" "Mea" and "Holla?" Was just a random question that came to my mind and can't ever remember if it was addressed.

Ridill
    BG Level

Obviously the Crag of Holla gets its name from the Holla Gate Crystal.

though seriously, it's probably just a name it was given.

Ridill
    BG Level

Shadow Lord / Zilart Bros/ Magicite questions. I'm actually assuming most of these dont have actual answers.

So, The Archduke sends you on a mission to take the 3 pieces of Magicite from the Beastmen because they plan to use the Magicite to bring back the Shadow Lord.
    The Zilart Bros want the Shadow Lord to be revived again so they can kill him or whatever, so why did they bother to stop the beastmen at all and take the magicite?

How would have the magicite brought back the Shadow Lord anyways and why couldn't the Zilart do it themselves? Magicite is just power from the crystal that leaked out from the crystal line and solidified, and the zilart had access to the crystal line didnt they? or was the noise that the Shadow Lord was creating making it impossible for them to do anything?

In the ZM1 cutscene, Eldenarche says that "defeating the shadow lord 20 years ago didnt stop the noise. However, with the Talekeeper, we had what we needed."
    Wasn't the Shadow Lord during the crystal war Raogrimm as well? or am I misremembering? If so, what was the difference between then and now?

Why did the Zilart bros wait so long before putting their plan into action?

Why was the final seal in Feiyin? Aside from the obvious choice of just another location to have a bcnm fight. (if there is a reason). The cutscene says it was of strategic importance to the shadow lord and they fought fierce battles to reclaim it, then say they placed seals to keep SL's minions at bay.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Shadow Lord / Zilart Bros/ Magicite questions. I'm actually assuming most of these dont have actual answers.

So, The Archduke sends you on a mission to take the 3 pieces of Magicite from the Beastmen because they plan to use the Magicite to bring back the Shadow Lord.
    The Zilart Bros want the Shadow Lord to be revived again so they can kill him or whatever, so why did they bother to stop the beastmen at all and take the magicite?

How would have the magicite brought back the Shadow Lord anyways and why couldn't the Zilart do it themselves? Magicite is just power from the crystal that leaked out from the crystal line and solidified, and the zilart had access to the crystal line didnt they? or was the noise that the Shadow Lord was creating making it impossible for them to do anything?

In the ZM1 cutscene, Eldenarche says that "defeating the shadow lord 20 years ago didnt stop the noise. However, with the Talekeeper, we had what we needed."
    Wasn't the Shadow Lord during the crystal war Raogrimm as well? or am I misremembering? If so, what was the difference between then and now?

Why did the Zilart bros wait so long before putting their plan into action?

Why was the final seal in Feiyin? Aside from the obvious choice of just another location to have a bcnm fight. (if there is a reason). The cutscene says it was of strategic importance to the shadow lord and they fought fierce battles to reclaim it, then say they placed seals to keep SL's minions at bay.
    The Shadowlord wasn't actually killed at the end of the Crystal War, he was defeated and sealed away. There were four magical seals that were used to keep the Shadowlord dormant, one in each of the starting cities and one in Fei'Yin. It has been a while, but I think that the Zliart needed to destroy the seals so that they could use the Magicite to reawaken the Shadowlord. I think it took them 20 years to get around to it probably because they needed the magic of the seals to weaken a bit before they could try to kill him again. As for why they didn't just sashay up to the Throne Room and kill him 20 years ago, maybe they couldn't awaken the Warriors of the Crystals to ensure that the job got done. (You know how bad guys are, they never like to do things themselves.) As for why the fourth seal was in Fei'yin, probably because it was close to Castle Zvahl and a lot of magic resides in the place still. (I winged it with that one, it has been a while. lol) Maybe because it is part of the Crystal Line?

As for the ZM1 cutscene, if you read it carefully, when Raogrimm regained his sanity the noise in the Crystal Line (His connection with Odin) cleared up. They needed Raogrimm as the Talekeeper (i.e. not the insane bundle of rage known as the Shadow Lord) because he carried the "Memories of the ancients" in his blood. (This is explained in the Stellar Fulcrum BC.) All 5 races of Vana'diel evolved from the Zilart after the Meltdown, because of how the the Galkan reincarnation process works, the Talekeeper has memories that go back 10,000 years but doesn't know that he carries them. (Eald'narche said, "What he carried was not in his mind, but in his blood.") He used Aldo's sister Verena's gift of being able to speak to the beastmen to harness those memories to restore the Chrysalis Core and open the path to Tu'Lia.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Aaaaaaaand this where we get Septimus to write out the entire history of FFXI on BG-Wiki.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Aaaaaaaand this where we get Septimus to write out the entire history of FFXI on BG-Wiki.
    If I could get people to do everything else, I would consider it.

I actually did do something last night that had been bothering me for a while, Stone Monument. As I mentioned on the main forum in the Mysteries of Vana'diel, I think there is a lot of interesting history there that would make a great series of quests to follow up An Explorer's Footsteps. I have been thinking about working on the Timeline, but there is so much other stuff to do still.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Something I noticed when rereading the headstone inscriptions was that Enid says that Drogaroga's Spine is made from the same material as the crags, so does this mean Drogaroga wasn't in fact natural? I'm a little confused since they say that the crags aren't natural, so that would by extension mean Droga's spine isn't either, or did they find a way to use Droga's spine as a channel thus over time making it the same material as the crags?

I think I've confused myself <_>

Ridill
    BG Level

Dragora's Spine is not natural. It;s made from the same stuff as the crags and other spines that peak up out of the ground everywhere in the middle lands.
    It's all part of the system the Zilart created, connecting Delk Tower, Feiyn, and the 3 crags. the Spines are what the power travels through to reach each of the other structures.

As for the reason it's so high up in the air unlike all the others, it's never said, but if I had to assume, it's either because Merph Mountains had a lott of erosion, and/or the areas with the other spines were covered with dirt and such over time.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Initially connected five crags, right? Including Altepa and Xarcabard?