FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: FFXI Plot-holes and unclear issues

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco II
    One of the city missions clearly states that there have been crag-like ruins found somewhere in Teriggan...
    San d'Orian mission 5-1 mentions them, but I think that they just meant Cermet structures. If you look at the Shrine of Ru'Avitau, it looks like the crag structures as well, although it serves a very different purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Square-Enix
    We've come to a decision at last, ?Player Name?. We will send an expedition to the accursed Northlands.?Prompt?

It will go to the ancient ruins of Fei'Yin, northeast of the Beaucedine Glacier. Of course, you'll be going, too.?Prompt?

The ruins are those of a city built by an ancient civilization that we believe was more advanced than our own.?Prompt?

The race that lived there called themselves the Zilart. We have found similar ruins on Cape Teriggan to the south.?Prompt?

Amazingly they both remain, though they were built long ago. It is as if some unseen force defies time to protect them.?Prompt?

Once, thirty years ago, an international expedition was sent to the Northlands. They were to uncover the secret of the Zilart's power.?Prompt?

They returned empty-handed. We need you to head to the Beaucedine Glacier and scour the ruins of Fei'Yin yourself.?Prompt?

The ruins are overrun with fiends, you know. We captured it from the Shadow Lord twenty years ago at the cost of many lives.?Prompt?

We set a seal on the ruined coliseum to strengthen the barrier of the Northlands from the inside.?Prompt?

You must find it, and use this new seal to strengthen its magic if necessary.?Prompt?

I always wondered if that was a dropped plot point, something SE forgot about, or they just meant to say Altepa - which connects to Teriggan.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Well, those damn cermet headstones must've been a part of a larger structure.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco II
    I always wondered if that was a dropped plot point, something SE forgot about, or they just meant to say Altepa - which connects to Teriggan.
    It is possible that they meant Altep (or switched the name of the zone and forgot to change it in the dialog table), since the Dream Rose was found there.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

A bit late to the discussion, but it is entirely possible the ruins were destroyed when the Tavnazia was separated from the mainland. I had thought I read somewhere that's what turned Terrigan into a barren wasteland

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    It is possible that they meant Altep since the Dream Rose was found there.
    FF4 reference?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

In regards to the ruins near terrigan. If you do the new lycopodium NPC quest from last update:

Spoiler: show
    At the end when they are going to Sky, it looks as though they go there through Terrigan...

No idea why, I don't get it but maybe it's related.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    In regards to the ruins near terrigan. If you do the new lycopodium NPC quest from last update:

At the end when they are going to Sky, it looks as though they go there through Terrigan...

No idea why, I don't get it but maybe it's related.
    I assumed they were doing it because
    They were completing their Zilart Missions to go through sky and had to do the Terrigan tombstone! At least, that's how I interpreted it, with the first scene being of them in Yuhtunga overlooking the Norg entrance

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    I assumed they were doing it because
    They were completing their Zilart Missions to go through sky and had to do the Terrigan tombstone! At least, that's how I interpreted it, with the first scene being of them in Yuhtunga overlooking the Norg entrance
    It wasn't the norg entrance, it was the area you come in from Ifrit's in yuhtunga, where the tombstone is.

As I beavered away...
    BG Level

Hmm...about the Ramuh thing (and note this is probably completely wrong, this is just the way I see it), it seems as though possibly this all occured before the actual split of the crystals, maybe there was another dimension or something besides paradise, but was not yet Vana'diel (since the crystal was still intact)? It sounds almost like Ramuh was a regular person that somehow managed to harness [some] powers of the gods, which is what allowed him to create lightning and stuff. Or, maybe he found the Olduum staff, which could have been an item created by the gods, which would also explain his powers, and the ability to create all that advanced technology. All he ever wanted was to help his people and make them happy, but they turned on him, but as a "reward" Altana gave him godlike powers (thus turning him into an avatar?) And later when the crystal was split, he, like the other avatars, were put into slumber.

Alternatively, this could have happened after the split, and he was not one of the original avatars, but instead given avatar-like powers by Altana. Although, this wouldn't really explain where his protocrystal came from or why he is in slumber like all the other avatars.

Sorry if this all seems completely wrong, I suck at folklore and stuff (which is why I love reading threads like this, because it helps me understand slightly better) but again, this is just my interpretation of it. I don't think it was a seperate person, simply for the fact that someone with the same name as the avatar also managed to harness his powers, as well as this quote

The goddess, having seen the history of the ocean country since its beginnings, took pity on the wanderers and called Ramuh to the heavens.

May the people of this earth always be able to feel that Ramuh is nearby, watching over them…
    which, like I said, seems to state that Altana somehow rewarded Ramuh, or gave him special powers or something.

Also as a less related note, wasn't Ramuh in FFIX kind of like a sage? I don't really remember much about him from that game though, but this story reminded me of that.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    4) Where is Al'taieu?
    I've to the conclusion that Al'taieu was/is the inside of the moon. There's no written evidence to support it, but there is a lot of implication.

For instance,
    1)The sky is an opaque multifaceted spherical structure that seems to be constantly changing colors, likewise the moon is a sphere, which changes colors with the day.

2)The inhabitants are called Luminians and Luminions, the NPCs are quasilumins, and the entire region is called Lumoria. All of which have the base word "Luma" which while referring to light, also sounds closely similar to "luna" a base word describing the moon.

3)The Empyreal Paradox is assumably located at the bottom (or top? doesnt matter, its a sphere) of the Al'taieu is floating overhead of what is presumably Vanadiel; there is no moon in the visible sky.

4)It'd be a reference to FF4, which everybody loves.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by El Masivo View Post
    I've to the conclusion that Al'taieu was/is the inside of the moon. There's no written evidence to support it, but there is a lot of implication.

For instance,
    1)The sky is an opaque multifaceted spherical structure that seems to be constantly changing colors, likewise the moon is a sphere, which changes colors with the day.

2)The inhabitants are called Luminians and Luminions, the NPCs are quasilumins, and the entire region is called Lumoria. All of which have the base word "Luma" which while referring to light, also sounds closely similar to "luna" a base word describing the moon.

3)The Empyreal Paradox is assumably located at the bottom (or top? doesnt matter, its a sphere) of the Al'taieu is floating overhead of what is presumably Vanadiel; there is no moon in the visible sky.

4)It'd be a reference to FF4, which everybody loves.
    I'm not so sure about that.

The entire point of Al'Taieu being shifted was so that the Keeper of the Apocalypse would be sealed away. Thus, the Keeper would never arrive in Vana'diel, and no apocalypse would occur. You see this again in Apocalypse Nigh, where the goal is to defeat the returned souls before they can complete their incarnation into the Keeper of the Apocalypse (which was occuring because Prishe tossed her Magicite at Promathia; when Promathia was defeated, the Emptiness within the Magicite was returned to the crystal and was sought by the spirits of the various foes you defeated (Lion was protecting it from them.))

From what the various Lumorian NPCs say when you go to get the maps, it seems as though Bahamut had been attacking Al'Taieu, and the city's celestial defense mechanism kicked in and shifted the entire city into an extra-dimensional space. Said mechanism has been running for thousands of years, and the events of CoP begin when the events at the end of RoZ cause fluctuations in the crystal line that begin to disrupt the power source of the mechanism (the Al'Taieu mother crystal.) That begins the slow return of Al'Taieu to normal space.

As a side note, Al'Taieu was almost certainly located at what is now Qufim Island - the Sea of Shu'Meyo, which is where the portal to Al'Taieu is found, seems to cover an area that was practically scooped out of Qufim. Qufim and Al'Taieu have similar landscaping as well, odd coloring aside - the rock is similar, as well as the general appearance of the terrain.

As a side note, some Lumorian NPCs note that only the royal family can deactivate the celestial defense mechanism. One prince died at the Stellar Fulcrum, the other at the Celestial Nexus. The princess has other things to worry about right now. So no one's around who has the authority to turn it off.

Whew! That was a mouthful.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This isn't completely related to the CoP discussion going on (Which is very interesting.)
    but could someone please explain to me exactly what the fuck happens in the RDM AF quest line? Seriously, it confused me to no end. Especially the hat CS where Curilla meets Ghost Dad and shit, and you never find out why Rainemard was killed, etc.

Though, after doing "X Marks the Spot" quest in Tavnazian Safehold, Shikaree Y(?) gets told about the Lightbringer, and how it was taken from its chest, and to ask Rainemard about it if he's still alive. So maybe he got killed because he knew King Destin sacrified Tavnazia with information about the Lightbringer?

Convoluted shit is convoluted.

also, picture for relevance:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Postercopy.jpg

Aoshi

Okay then with what being said here about the CoP and Zilart storylines why is it that Kirin is imprisoned in Sky as he claims when being spawned. And also what exactly is the relation of Absolute Virtue and the jailers?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Aoshi View Post
    Okay then with what being said here about the CoP and Zilart storylines why is it that Kirin is imprisoned in Sky as he claims when being spawned. And also what exactly is the relation of Absolute Virtue and the jailers?
    Generally endgame content has no plot-related significance. They're just there for us to play with really. There's some exception with Ultima and Omega in Limbus, and both sets of Dynamis have storyline connections to ZM and CoP... But as for the sky gods, the sea jailers, znms, etc, there's no connection.

Member of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Or more simply: Al'Taieu is inside the crystal (thus the sky), and the crystal is inside Al'Taieu (thus the paradox).

As for plot holes:

* ToAU armor straight-dropping in dynamis
    * gil being found in the armory crates that appear in the new BCNMs added with the september update.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Toksyuryel View Post
    As for plot holes:

* gil being found in the armory crates that appear in the new BCNMs added with the september update.
    I don't know if that's necessarily a plot hole. The Archduke's currency unification has begun around this time - the Gobbie merchants in town proudly announce that they'll deal in your gil, and one of the first Bastokan quests has you paid in the new gil (which is remarked to be untraceable, handy for clandestine operatives like yourself.)

According to lines found in the .dats, it seems that you might even be able to recruit Boodlix, the Beastmen Confederate freelance, over to the Allied side by showing your business savvy and supporting the use of gil in transactions.

It's not unthinkable that the beastmen may have acquired gil themselves as a result of their dealings with the Goblins - either receiving it by direct trade with the Goblins (in which case they'd use the gil to trade with other Goblins) or seized from captured Allied soldiers, in which case again they might offer it to the Goblins to get some value out of it.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

You know what would explain TOAU armor dropping in Dynamis?

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=060121
    We stole it...from the future!

Rainemard was 'silenced' by the Papsque dude for reasons we currently don't know, but we do know the Paspque dude is extremely evil from the Sandy storyline.

The proof is in the pudding.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ibi Risasi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seyrr View Post
    I don't know if that's necessarily a plot hole. The Archduke's currency unification has begun around this time - the Gobbie merchants in town proudly announce that they'll deal in your gil, and one of the first Bastokan quests has you paid in the new gil (which is remarked to be untraceable, handy for clandestine operatives like yourself.)

It's not unthinkable that the beastmen may have acquired gil themselves as a result of their dealings with the Goblins - either receiving it by direct trade with the Goblins (in which case they'd use the gil to trade with other Goblins) or seized from captured Allied soldiers, in which case again they might offer it to the Goblins to get some value out of it.
    Did we ever get a real explanation of why they use gil in the near east, by the way?

Member of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

They use imperial currency/standing for everything that matters, gil is dominant in the merchant and commoner sections of the city most likely for trade and poverty reasons would be my guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast