Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I think it happens after. When she disappears at the end of RoV, I think she appears and continues her existence in Eorzea. She probably reverts to her original form upon resurrecting, which is why she doesn't have any phoenix attacks, doesn't glow, and has black hair. It's also why her memories are lost most likely. She passed away at the end of FFXI's expansion and was 'reborn' in Eorzea. Even at the end of her event in FFXIV, she doesn't disappear or return to Vana'diel, she remains here. Some people speculate she will 'live-on' and continue her life in Eorzea, and perhaps might even be the NPC in the future that unlocks the Samurai job in the next expansion.

(When you unlock her memories, she closes her eyes and says "It's time to wake up from this dream and return home to Vana'diel", but when she opens her eyes, she's still in Eorzea and she remarks "This must be what the Goddess has planned for me" or something.)

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's probably too early to read anything in to her staying in Eorzea at the end of the current quest, since it looks like there's going to be a second part (there's some leftover as-yet-unused ffxi music and such in the patch data, and the previous Lightning crossover stuff was also multi-part). So she's sticking around for that, and may or may not depart afterward.

Somewhat related, she IS dead at the end of Rhapsodies, right? Like, dead dead. I need to rewatch a bunch of the last range of cutscenes, but after she gets killed (again) in the Balamor scene, I think every subsequent CS involving her is inside the additional pylon in Reisen Shrine, except maybe the scene with the supergirls eulogizing you, which wasn't the real world either. Then she hands her Phoenix KI over to you to make you not dead, and disappears in a way distinct from her previous disappearances. They could always work around that in one way or another (including permanently relocating her to Eorzea sans memories), but it seemed pretty final for her.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

She fades away like Marty McFly. Basically you changed the present so she never came back to the past, or something.

FFXI started with a ton of references to Final Fantasy 1 (the six basic jobs and such), so it seems appropriate that a hero fades away due to a time paradox at the end.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aumaan Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The way some of the hinting was going toward the beginning of the Rhapsodies Three plotline, I was starting to suspect that the resolution was going to involve sending the absorb-all-the-goodness rock we'd been carrying around back in time to be the pre-splitting Original Crystal, which would have basically been the good guy version of the Garland loop. "It all began with a Stone" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Suteru View Post
    She fades away like Marty McFly. Basically you changed the present so she never came back to the past, or something.
    Or rather than erasing her from everything, Phoenix dumps her in the nearest safe timestream/universe, which happens to be Eozera. We already know there's some kind of conduit between there and Vana'diel, because Shantotto and her hijinks across time, space, and dimensions.

...do I need to mention she's literally the Doctor of Windurst?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm going to treat this weird little subforum like the all purpose story discussion kinda place. So in that spirit I just wanted to say I overhauled the old cutscenes sticky in the media forum in an attempt to list all of the games main storylines.
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/50...sion-Cutscenes

Still looking for some decent Youtube vids of stuff like the last half of ToaU if anyone can help me find some. If any of you are unsubbed and no longer play (like me) but you want to see the Rhapsodies story Roivas Alenko on Youtube has some great looking vids and they're in 4k res! He also has the Iroha crossover story from FFXIV, although the text for that is in French. But even just watching you get the idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...y-hFHR9houAUeg

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

thx for doing that.
    i personally highly recommend Korvana's videos. she's been working to document pretty much all the cutscenes in the game, from missions to minor quests.
    more importantly, the video formatting is consistent across the board and the UI overlay is big enough that you don't have to squint to read it, especially if your screen res isnt that big.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Good god, there's that many videos... FFXI was always a complicated spiders-web of story-telling, but I suppose, after 10 years, it would be this big. I wonder how many hours it all adds up too, and if any game has a larger story that's been told.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Thanks! I just happened to find her channel on Youtube before I read this. They have a bunch of quests as well as missions which is great.

Since I'm having to post again I thought I'd ask about the Records of Eminence quests. It sounded like there was decent story/lore stuff going on with the RoE quests am I thinking of the right thing? I haven't played in a couple years. And is there anywhere I can see their cutscenes? Googline on Youtube didn't get any results so far.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Thanks! I just happened to find her channel on Youtube before I read this. They have a bunch of quests as well as missions which is great.

Since I'm having to post again I thought I'd ask about the Records of Eminence quests. It sounded like there was decent story/lore stuff going on with the RoE quests am I thinking of the right thing? I haven't played in a couple years. And is there anywhere I can see their cutscenes? Googline on Youtube didn't get any results so far.

Is this what your'e looking for?

They seem to be scattered on this person's site: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgx...-J2TpCXd8fKTmA

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Couple of questions about RoV.

1) When comparing the two initial battles against Cloud of Darkness the one in the future and the one in the present where Tenzen is first to be attacked in both, in the mission based one you summon alter egos of the heroines to fight alongside you, what about the battle in the future that showed many more NPCs involved, I always figured they were the real deal in one last stand against CoD rather than mere alter egos, is that the case?

2) I remember it being mentioned that your character dies but I guess I missed the context of what killed us, I always figured we were just stuck inside the crystal and Iroha frees us, was the whole death scene where you're wandering Reisenjima and talking with the heroines? I only remember that one because Tenzen was notably absent, being the only real one there alongside you (bros for life). What kills us? Is it the exertion of the final battle?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tidis View Post
    Couple of questions about RoV.

1) When comparing the two initial battles against Cloud of Darkness the one in the future and the one in the present where Tenzen is first to be attacked in both, in the mission based one you summon alter egos of the heroines to fight alongside you, what about the battle in the future that showed many more NPCs involved, I always figured they were the real deal in one last stand against CoD rather than mere alter egos, is that the case?

2) I remember it being mentioned that your character dies but I guess I missed the context of what killed us, I always figured we were just stuck inside the crystal and Iroha frees us, was the whole death scene where you're wandering Reisenjima and talking with the heroines? I only remember that one because Tenzen was notably absent, being the only real one there alongside you (bros for life). What kills us? Is it the exertion of the final battle?

1) the ones that fight in the last stand are the real characters we summon from the mothercrystal. They have died and returned to the mothercrystal, since we transformed into a "God" of light we summon them back to life fromt he mothercrystal they have returned to.

2) the player never died in the last stand, since he became a god, he ascended into a higher plane of existence thus vanishing from vanadiel and the battlefield leaving iroha and tenzen to deal alone with the Cloud of Darkness.
    This is the reason why our other half the "Dark" part (The Disjoined one) comes back to our present to prevent us from becomeing a god of light, because it prevents us from fighting the Cloud of Darkness and vanishing into a higher plane of existence.
    Instead of useing the light we gathered from all the Avatars/blablaba whatever to become a god, we release it on the trusted bonds we made over our adventure and summon the heroines to our side aiding us in combat (I dont think those are trusts, but they are directly summoned to us because we are in need of them, but it looks like trust, they might be trusts but i dont know)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

For the second point, I meant after our successful battle against Cloud of Darkness that we win, not the one in the doomed future, where afterwards I think there was a CS of the girls talking to eachother, I'm referring to the part that is portrayed in this strip of Aloha Iroha:
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11/vanap...iroha_20/5.png

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

for the second point, yes.. we basically die at the end of the last battle.
    The cutscene where we wake up and talk to Iroha and the 5 heroines is basically a dream while we're dead.. sleeping in the crystal. Iroha passes her lock of hair to you, which i think symbolically means she's passing Phoenix over to you.

After the credit roll ends, we are revived, hence we swim out of the crystal.. and thats also why it says "Welcome Back".

I got something cool in the mail today.

I can't give you a specific date for when I can deliver, but I have no plans on adjusting my behavior at this time. I will continue to gather your feedback so I hope for your understanding in this matter. Please look forward to it.

http://i.imgur.com/L0Gyo0h.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

w

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    I got something cool in the mail today.

I can't give you a specific date for when I can deliver, but I have no plans on adjusting my behavior at this time. I will continue to gather your feedback so I hope for your understanding in this matter. Please look forward to it.

http://i.imgur.com/L0Gyo0h.jpg
    That's up to 2009 though

Correct. Flipping through it a bit, it does not seem to even have much about ACP, which I personally always wanted to know more about (specifically, why it was so awful). It's outdated, but to my knowledge its basically the only straight lore book the game has.

Though I should note for the 5 people who might be interested in seeing me translate it, I need to note I was actually being serious with the whole "dunno when I can deliver" thing. Of course, it doesn't seem like I'd need to- a lot of pages are taken by just straight plot summaries for the game (though it does have some plot details that are not explained in-game for a few of them, such as who Uran-Mafran from the Summoner quests was trying to resurrect). It also has numerous interviews with the scenario writing staff, which I'm guessing you guys would want to hear a bit about. I don't know if Elmer has ever translated these for you guys though, so let me know if there's something in particular you want me to look for.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I would love to see it.