Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Must be a Windurst only thing then as I ran through the WotG storyline from Cait Sith onwards and there was no mention of him.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

it was in the main missions.
    right here
    (4:52)

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That 100% requires Windurst questline to get then. I can absolutely guarantee I did not get that scene as I remember wondering who she was referring to. I distinctly remember it because I thought 'Halfling' meant Lilisette and it didn't make a lot of sense for Aquila to be solely getting the blame for it.

Basically she says the you were tasked with taking care of the halfling part and then the lines change after that, Aquila says he failed or something along those lines. No Robel-Akbel scene and then she scalds Aquila without actually saying what his task was.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

interesting. its probably not the only cutscene out there which significantly changes based on your progress elsewhere..
    its probably fair enough that they didnt reveal it either, cos if you didn't do Win (S) quests you wouldn't know that he went to help summon fenrir.

Campaign
    BG Level

I can think about at least one more cutscene like that in RotZ/CoP, in Jeuno.

There's a ton of cutscenes in the game that have variable states, some of them even have like 5 or 6 of them. The Diabolos quest for example, has like 5 different responses you can get from him based on your progress in CoP.

Also I need to get around to doing the Adoulin quests sometime- does anyone know if there's any quests in Adoulin that confirm that Atarefaunet did, in fact, make his deal with someone there? The text in the COP quest was always really vague, simply referencing a nation in the West.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Is it ever explained what this thing is? We have never seen another of its kind and it is never referenced outside of a single Windurst mission cutscene unless I'm missing something...

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

It was explained in the last one or two rank missions.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Joker

Who was Jokers master and shared life force with?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Spoiler: show

Karaha-Baruha

truly one of the best side stories in the game's universe.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post

Is it ever explained what this thing is? We have never seen another of its kind and it is never referenced outside of a single Windurst mission cutscene unless I'm missing something...
    It's the Bearer of Darkness. From FFXIclopedia:

During the Battle of Windurst, Karaha-Baruha and Robel-Akbel (his alternate timeline counterpart) used Summoning magic to control Fenrir, but the spell failed, and their spirits were absorbed into Fenrir's. Fenrir was then slain by the Bow of Light. In the present day, the Star Sibyl made a wish on the Star Spring, and the power of the Moon and Stars called Karaha-Baruha's spirit back from the afterlife. However, Fenrir's essence was still entangled with his, and so the Bearer of Darkness was created: Karaha-Baruha's body, and parts of his spirit and Fenrir's spirit. The other part of Fenrir's spirit was trapped inside of Joker when he was re-activated, since part of Karaha-Baruha's lifeforce was used to create the cardian.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Sorry for the necrobump, but this thread seems to be my best chance to get the answers I seek. English isn’t my first language, so I hope everything that follows will be clear enough.

I’ve been working on a FFXI project for the past year or so, and trying to make sense of the events that happened during the Zilart era has been a real struggle; their chronology in particular.

Of all the sources I found, the most complete seems to be the History of Vana’diel on the FF wiki, but going back and rewatching the actual cutscenes it referred to got me really confused, as a lot of the information from this text seems to be extrapolated. Do we know its primary source? Do you know of a better one?

About the story itself, I realize it was meant to be hard to grasp, as a lot of characters just don’t know what really happened, even if they were alive during that time. Memory is one the prevalent themes of the CoP storyline (and of the FF series as a whole), and like real life history, a lot of it is a matter of interpretation. There is also no doubt that RoZ and CoP contradict each other on several occasions; but still, I’d like to find a way to get a coherent overview of these events.

Anyways, here’s what I got from rewatching everything:

1 — Some time after Altana split the Crystal and made Paradise into the imperfect world of Vana’diel, the Zilart developed their civilization by harnessing the power of the five shards. They built the arks, the Crystal Line, and used Delkfutt’s Tower to control the energy flow. It also seems that, around the same time, they created the Warriors of the Crystal to protect the arks.

My first issue is with the Warriors of the Crystal: not only do they look like the five races, but there is a scene in CoP 7-5 in which Yve’noile uses them in the Chamber of Eventide, saying: “The people of this world have evolved into five unique species, each harboring a distinctive darkness. Crystal warriors. Thou wert created to destroy those evils”. If this scene happened during the Zilart era, this would mean that the five races already existed at that time, but it seems to contradict every other statement about their appearance. Could it be that it happened later?

2 — Centuries passed and the darkness within the Zilart started to overshadow the light. Some of them lost the Whisper of the Soul and were cast out of their community. Those people, known as the Kuluu, built their city, Pso’Xja, on the outskirts of the Celestial Capital of Al’Taieu.

There seems to be some confusion about the whisper: do they lose it, are they born without it, or both? In CoP 5-2, Yve’noile says: “I bring thee two children who no longer hear the whisper of the soul. The boy on the right is Selh’teus. The boy on the left is Nag’molada. I beseech the blessings of the king before the commencement of our journey to the city of the Kuluu […] Though the whisper of the soul has grown quiet for thee, I ask thy trust. Thou must live as before. Believe in the honesty of people as thou did when their thoughts were open to thee.”.
    However, in CoP 6-2, Nag’molada says to Esha’ntarl: “You were born a Kuluu, as was I.”. And in CoP 5-3T, he says: “However, there were those who were born without the whisper — the Kuluu. My people were destined from birth to sit outside the bonds of the Zilartian Community.”.
    So which is it? Maybe the Zilart considered that losing the whisper meant that a given individual was essentially a Kuluu since birth, but that seems kinda convoluted.

3 — Visiting Delkfutt’s Tower, Eald’narche, prince of the Zilart, gets in contact with the Crystal and has his Emptiness crystallized, gaining immortality and a vision of Paradise, which he shares with his people. Against the advice of the Dawnmaiden and the Kuluu, they begin the construction of Tu’Lia, Gate of the Gods, which would allow them to make the Crystal whole again and enter Paradise.

Now this brings the issue of the conflict between Zilart, Kuluu and terrestrial avatars: we know the king had amulets created to hear the thoughts of the Kuluu and that Yve’noile created the Chamber of Eventide to drain the darkness within them. In CoP 4-2, Tenzen says: “[…] At that moment, my blade, Phoenix, enlightened me. Long ago our ancestors, the ancients, fought many a great battle with the terrestrial avatars. Among those battles, the most fierce and drawn-out was that fought by Bahamut over the opening of the Gates of Paradise”.
    In CoP 5-3T again, Nag’molada says: “But we bystanders were able to ascertain the truth, and it was this that helped us survive the crusades of ten thousand years ago.”.
    As far as I know, these are the only two times that conflicts other than the one over the Gates of Paradise are hinted at (if we assume that the “crusades” are a different one). Also, what is this “truth” exactly?
    In ZM04 and ZM07, it seems obvious to me that there is no conflict between Zilart and Kuluu at the moment the former decide to build Tu’Lia. The only logical explanation would be that the Zilart conquered the Kuluu and made them their subjects, but I don’t think anything supports it clearly. This also brings another issue: when did the terrestrial avatars lend their powers to the Kuluu?
    In CoP 3-5, Diabolos says: “Ten thousand years ago the Kuluu, too, lost all hope. It is then that I was born here, in the depths of their city”. In CoP 5-2, Selh’teus and Gra’viton stand before the Diabolos gate and the latter says: “So the living immortals have finally been born among the children of the Dawn…”. This scene also makes it clear that none of the Kuluu have seen the vision of Paradise.
    Furthermore, in CoP 5-3, Nag’molada says: “The ruins of Pso’Xja were once the homes of my Kuluu brothers and sisters. However, at the onset of the Kuluu war with the Zilart, the terrestrial avatars lent us their power and helped transform the area into an impenetrable stronghold”.
    Unless “living immortals” refers to something else (I’ve wondered that for a long while, but ultimately, no other conclusion made sense to me), I don’t see how the Kuluu could have fought along with Bahamut prior to this conflict.

4 — As the Zilart try to activate Tu’Lia, the Kuluu, with the help of the Dawnmaidens, launch an attack on Fei’Yin and sabotage their attempt. This causes an explosion — the Meltdown —, wiping out most of the Zilart and Kuluu and devastating the northern lands. Al’Taieu is sunk into the sea and the surviving Kuluu flee to Elshimo, degenerating, with time, into tonberries.

Now, this is the RoZ part of these events, but with CoP, this gets very confusing.

5 — During the conflict over the opening of the Gates of Paradise, people learned about the Emptiness and the threat of the Keeper of the Apocalypse: his arrival being unavoidable, Bahamut was willing to wipe out humanity in order to save Vana’diel and his kind (in Paradise, they would revert to being mere beasts), but he was convinced by Selh’teus and a pact was made: he would wait for the Keeper to effectively appear before enacting his plan. This would allow Selh’teus, the Kuluu and some of the other Avatars to carry out a plan of their own: defeat the Keeper, which would make the pact obsolete, saving both the world and its people.
    After Diabolos revealed an image of Promathia to him, Selh’teus traveled to Al’Taieu through the Crystal Line (thanks to Phoenix) and attempted to absorb the Emptiness accumulated in the Chamber of Eventide. He failed and died, then was revived by Phoenix. Bahamut, who was attacking the capital lost his power when the defense system kicked in and warped the city in another dimension. Yve’noile then sacrificed herself to bind the Keeper in the Audience Chamber.

There’s a lot going on here, and the game seems to contradict itself on several occasions.

— In CoP 2-5, there is a flashback of a conversation between Selh’teus and Bahamut in a snowy zone: “It matters not how many times you come here; the result will be the same. Even with the power of the living immortals, your people will not be saved. You have already perished. The body you inhabit is nothing more than a decaying shell.”
    Then the scene switches to Selh’teus being in Al’Taieu: “The Paradise of Al’Taieu is no more, and the history of the Zilart is at an end. But now people will be set free. Free from the chains of Promathia”.

Everything points out to the Meltdown and Selh’teus’ mission being played out in parallel, but then why the snowy zone? Aren’t the frozen northlands supposed to be the result of the Meltdown?

— Likewise, in CoP 4-3, we see a flashback of Selh’teus meeting with Diabolos in Beaucedine: “Why are you here? You should have met your demise in the city of Al’Taieu, along with the Keeper of the Apocalypse […] The image of Promathia I revealed to you… It was your task to travel to Al’Taieu and regain that form”.

Prishe is with Selh’teus during the scene, but I cannot decide if she’s really there or if she’s just seeing the memory. It would make more sense if this happened during CoP, after Selh’teus came back from Al’Taieu.

— In CoP 5-1, Nag’molada says to Selh’teus: “Though you bear the mark of the Kuluu, you betrayed your people and the trust of the Zilartian prince… Though you have inherited the will of the slumbering gods, you betrayed them as well… […] When the attempt to open the Gates of Paradise failed and Al’Taieu was destroyed, why did only you survive? What happened that day!?”

Again, it seems that everything happened around the same time, but then there is CoP 5-3T, where Esha’ntarl says: “However, I traveled to my homeland and I spoke with the dying Selh’teus… And he told me, if the Keeper of the Apocalypse is defeated, then the pact with the terrestrial avatars would be broken”.
    Now how can this be? How could she travel to Al’Taieu (she states that she was born there in another cutscene and in the present, she doesn’t know the city still exists) when it’s supposed to already be in another dimension?

That’s pretty much everything, I think. Sorry about the wall of text.

I would appreciate any help in figuring this out. Maybe this is a matter of mistranslation, or maybe the Ultimania guide (or any other Japanese source) gives us more details about all this, but sadly, I can’t read Japanese.

Thanks for reading.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by Rhada View Post
    1 — Some time after Altana split the Crystal and made Paradise into the imperfect world of Vana’diel, the Zilart developed their civilization by harnessing the power of the five shards. They built the arks, the Crystal Line, and used Delkfutt’s Tower to control the energy flow. It also seems that, around the same time, they created the Warriors of the Crystal to protect the arks.

My first issue is with the Warriors of the Crystal: not only do they look like the five races, but there is a scene in CoP 7-5 in which Yve’noile uses them in the Chamber of Eventide, saying: “The people of this world have evolved into five unique species, each harboring a distinctive darkness. Crystal warriors. Thou wert created to destroy those evils”. If this scene happened during the Zilart era, this would mean that the five races already existed at that time, but it seems to contradict every other statement about their appearance. Could it be that it happened later?
    I'm not able to clearly recall when it occurred, but the 5 Crystal Warriors (aka Ark Angels) were specifically of Promathia's design. It is when Altana created the 5 races via the 5 mothecrystals that Promathia had each Ark Angel channeling on the crystals as well, hence why the [5 mothercrystals had emptiness (Promathia) in them]*, and all the 5 races had emptiness in them. The whole over-arching theme of CoP being Promathia has/had been a part of us the whole time and that we weren't just purely children of Altana alone.

*Which is why Sehl'teus was going to all 5 of them to drain them dry of all of their emptiness into himself, dying when he drained the 5th crystal in Al'taieu and then Phoenix resurrecting him.

And as far as you talking about the ones born without the whisper, I am to assume, it is the "Zilart" born after Altana had created the 5 races, and that Promathia's will, his emptiness in the 5 mothercrsytals existed to permeate and "infect" per se all living beings made anew from that point on. Esha’ntarl specifically at one point states she used the Chamber of Eventide (where Yve'noille died at btw, trying to suck up the darkness instead of get rid of it, to hold off Promathia's return) to lose her darkness, hence she then had "the whisper."