Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

A wizard did it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

In one of the early/mid-level San d'Oria mission cutscenes, there is a mention of ruins similar to Fei'Yin near Cape Teriggan... the NPC specifically mentions this... up until now, there is really nothing out there that could be confused with a crag... I've always wondered if there's something that was never added between Teriggan and Lufaise Meadows... it's kind of no-man's land...

It's possible that SE intended to have a crag way out there, then changed their minds and never fixed the text... but that mission text is still there as of a year or so ago...

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think it was assumed that it was a mistake and that they actually meant the Chamber of Oracles under Altepa, not Teriggan.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Seyrr View Post
    All good points, but there's an underlying assumption that I'm not sure has ever actually been justified:

Spoiler: show
    The assumption, and what seems to be the crux of your argument, is that the location MUST be equidistant to ALL the arks. You use the phrase "balance out the distances" - unless there's scenes on Crystal Line theory and construction I missed, I don't see anything to suggest that this is necessary.

If it's not necessary, then locating Al'Taieu at Qufim Island (per the earlier script segments, the crystal sits beneath the city) gives you a spot that's equidistant to three of the crags AND on top of the fourth one. Now that's a savings in construction costs.

Having Al'Taieu be a section of Qufim Island that was scooped out also explains Qu'fim's unusual shape and the similar geology (take a look at the exposed rock faces in both areas). It also explains why Qufim Island is the section of Vana'diel visible from the Empyreal Paradox.

I understand your point, I just think it's unsupported within the source material. And having Al'Taieu at Qufim is consistent with/explains enough other things that it seems far more likely.
    Unless the scooped out area is where they built Tu'Lia, since it is floating over the tower. Also, to go with what Cid said in the cutscene, the beam of light to enter Al'Taeu is in the northen Sea of Shu'Meyo, but there is a there is a lot of sea to the north of Qufim, so it would be silly to call the sea near Qufim the "northern sea", as opposed to the "sea near Qufim." Qufim Island may be visible from the Empyreal Paradox because it is the most recognizeable landmass in the game, or that the power of Delkfutt's Tower is grawing it in. It's just one of those things that we will probably never be able to prove unless they give us more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    In one of the early/mid-level San d'Oria mission cutscenes, there is a mention of ruins similar to Fei'Yin near Cape Teriggan... the NPC specifically mentions this... up until now, there is really nothing out there that could be confused with a crag... I've always wondered if there's something that was never added between Teriggan and Lufaise Meadows... it's kind of no-man's land...

It's possible that SE intended to have a crag way out there, then changed their minds and never fixed the text... but that mission text is still there as of a year or so ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Qeomash View Post
    I think it was assumed that it was a mistake and that they actually meant the Chamber of Oracles under Altepa, not Teriggan.
    I figured that they either completely forgot about that text, or that they maybe meant the Temple of Uggalepih (just changed what zone it was supposed to be in) and forgot to make it ugly cermet.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

What was Uggalepih in the Ancient World? And I thought perhaps it was the Chamber of Oracles- after all, remember the cutscene where you meet Yve'noile? There seems to be more there than we can access. That and the BCNM reminds me of Qu'Bia Arena.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

The other suggestions mentioned already seem far more likely, but I just wanted to throw out: how about the Cermet Headstone? Maybe? ... yeah, it's a longshot. I mean, it is of similar construction, but it's just a monument. I dunno if I'd call that "ruins".

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Unless the scooped out area is where they built Tu'Lia, since it is floating over the tower. Also, to go with what Cid said in the cutscene, the beam of light to enter Al'Taeu is in the northen Sea of Shu'Meyo, but there is a there is a lot of sea to the north of Qufim, so it would be silly to call the sea near Qufim the "northern sea", as opposed to the "sea near Qufim." Qufim Island may be visible from the Empyreal Paradox because it is the most recognizeable landmass in the game, or that the power of Delkfutt's Tower is grawing it in. It's just one of those things that we will probably never be able to prove unless they give us more information.
    Agreed on that last bit. I've been aggravated that while I can find bits and pieces to support my position, it doesn't seem like there's a knockout blow for either side.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    What was Uggalepih in the Ancient World? And I thought perhaps it was the Chamber of Oracles- after all, remember the cutscene where you meet Yve'noile? There seems to be more there than we can access. That and the BCNM reminds me of Qu'Bia Arena.
    Yeah, it was. The remaining Kuluu retreated there after the meltdown where they became Tonberries. (Then they retconed in Pso'Xja the next expansion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Seyrr View Post
    The other suggestions mentioned already seem far more likely, but I just wanted to throw out: how about the Cermet Headstone? Maybe? ... yeah, it's a longshot. I mean, it is of similar construction, but it's just a monument. I dunno if I'd call that "ruins".

Agreed on that last bit. I've been aggravated that while I can find bits and pieces to support my position, it doesn't seem like there's a knockout blow for either side.
    That is a good point about the cermet headstone. (Although there is one in La Theine that they should know about.) But it is possible that there are ruins there somewhere that we cannot access, since many of the other headstones are near ruins from the Zilart or Kuluu.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I thought Pso'Xja was supposed to be a quarantine zone(or maybe a concentration camp) for Kuluu once they lost the "Whisper or the Soul" (I think that's what it was called). A place the Zilart stuck them.

As for the ruins near terrigan, I don't remember the comment you guys are talking about. Was it definitely referring to something that was still there? If not, could it have been destroyed along with much of Tavnazia?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Off topic but I thought it was interesting. Erpalacion B Chanoix the 'Last Dragoon' of San d'Oria may be related to Professor Clavauert B Chanoix is involved in several quests in WoTG areas as well as TOAU including an assault. One of the quests nets you a Chanoix Gorget which adds +50 WyvernHP. This leads me to believe the professor is a decendent of Erpalacion.

Erpalacion - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki
    Clavauert B Chanoix - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Also interesting is how Cyranuce becomes an important character in the DRG flag quest and he is noted as a young kid in the Sandy branch of the WoTG miniquests. Somewhere between the crystal war and the present he becomes a DRG but bears the unholy crest. Cyranuce rises to the highest ranks of the Sandorian army and is to be appointed General of the Royal Knights after the war.Rahal known as the Dragonslayer finds Cyranuce's Wyvern to be evil and kills it. He then strips Cyranuce of his DRG powers(DRGs apparently have 'powers' according to lore) and throws him in the dungeon. Rahal becomes the new general while Cyranuce is slowly corrupted over the years by the spirit of his evil wyvern, and becomes obssesed with becoming a dragon himself(a complete spirit surge?)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Maybe Erpalacion fell in love with the elvaan form of whats her face? Aurehat?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

He died a full 50 years before the start of the crystal war.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

that being a mistake in name and identity on my part so lets replace the word : Erpalacion with Cyranuce

Starless

These aren't "Fei'Yin-like", but old Tavnazia is actually very close to Cape Terrigan. My guess is though, that they were going to flesh out that area, Valley of Sorrows in particular a bit more. It's all very.... unfinished over there.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

AF+1 are simply your AF armor thats been refurbished to its original splendor(assuming AF you acquire in missions were all worn previously by another NPC from the past and thus became damaged over years). Knowing this how does BLU/COR/DNC/PUP/SCH AF+1 work? As far as I know those AF are crafted for you by the npcs so they're brand new and arent worn out.

Also I wonder why Sagheera needs AF2-1 to make AF2+1. Does she use spare parts from the -1 to combine with the NQ to make +1 relic or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    These aren't "Fei'Yin-like", but old Tavnazia is actually very close to Cape Terrigan. My guess is though, that they were going to flesh out that area, Valley of Sorrows in particular a bit more. It's all very.... unfinished over there.
    Was running through there the other day, I had forgotten there are what look like unfinished zonelines all over the zone...

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    The Sea of Shu'Meyo is a rather large place. It encompasses the coasts of Batilla Downs and Sauromugue Champaign to the south and Beaucedine Glacier and Li'Telor to the north. Since Delkfutt's Tower was built in a place to converge the crystal lines, it would make sense to put it in a more centralized location. Had Al'Taieu been on Qufim Island in the place that looks scooped out, it would have made more sense to build the tower on the pennisula of Batilla Down or Rolanberry Fields to try to balance out the distances. Had Al'Taieu been closer to Ro'Meave, Qufim Island would be more equidistant to the Mother Crystals. (As the center would have been in the sea.)

Not to mention that it would make sense for the capital to be closer to the entrance to the Tu'Lia in the hall of the gods than a power station
    I have to it up somewhere, but I beleve it was said that:

Tu'Lia was built behind Ro'Meave before it was launched into the sky to float over Delkfut's Tower.. there are two paintings that depict this, but I don't know if there was anything said in the storyline to prove it. I posted this back on page 3, but I wish there was more information on it. What gets to me is that the paintings show Tu'Lia directly over Delkfuts (the main power source) however when you go to Ro'Meave and use the teleporter in the hall of the gods, it is like it takes you straight up. They make it seem as though there is a walkway up in the air that goes directly from the area over Ro'Meave to the entrance of Tu'Lia over Delkfut, but its such a short walk when you are up there after you hit the teleporter...

With all of this information that we are discussing, i think we should put together a large historical encyclopedia.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    I have to it up somewhere, but I beleve it was said that:

Tu'Lia was built behind Ro'Meave before it was launched into the sky to float over Delkfut's Tower.. there are two paintings that depict this, but I don't know if there was anything said in the storyline to prove it. I posted this back on page 3, but I wish there was more information on it. What gets to me is that the paintings show Tu'Lia directly over Delkfuts (the main power source) however when you go to Ro'Meave and use the teleporter in the hall of the gods, it is like it takes you straight up. They make it seem as though there is a walkway up in the air that goes directly from the area over Ro'Meave to the entrance of Tu'Lia over Delkfut, but its such a short walk when you are up there after you hit the teleporter...

With all of this information that we are discussing, i think we should put together a large historical encyclopedia.
    Don't forget to include any distance covered in the zoning process, as well as any distance within Ru'Aun Gardens to the central portion which houses the Celestial Nexus. The entrance to Ro'Maeve is in the NW corner of Zi'Tah, so it's not a stretch to believe.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    1) Zilarts and their long-lasting sleep
    Al'Taieu dimensionally shifted because the Zilart King activated the city's self-defense mechanism when Bahamut attacked. The result was drawing the entire region inside the crystal. Of course this is how the paradox forms because the crystal is also contained within the city. I am not sure how the brothers were put to sleep in Delkfutt. Perhaps another effect of the feedback in the crystal lines when the Crag of Vhazl was destroyed, since we can safely assume they were operating in Delkfutt at the time. Pretty much all of the remaining Zilart were destroyed and the Kuluu became Tonberries, though I'm not 100% sure of the fate of those in Al'Taieu. You've got the rest correct. The brothers awoke when Raogrimm came in contact with the Vhazl crystal, and Esha'ntarl was fated to watch Fenrir's prophesy play out.
    Actually during a cutscene at the end of Ducal Hospitality, Taillegease tells you a tale of how Maat found a couple of strange boys washed up on shore some fifty years ago... who happened to be Kam'lanaut and Eald'narche. That's some twenty years before the fateful expedition to the Northlands...

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rosalie View Post
    Actually during a cutscene at the end of Ducal Hospitality, Taillegease tells you a tale of how Maat found a couple of strange boys washed up on shore some fifty years ago... who happened to be Kam'lanaut and Eald'narche. That's some twenty years before the fateful expedition to the Northlands...
    It has been unofficially retconned to them awakening 30 years prior to "present day", but taking a few years before appearing near Jeuno, or at least it was clarified in two other places:

The Vana'diel Tribune II Issue No. 16. states:
    "In the year 855, Kam'lanaut and his brother were picked up by a fishing boat and taken to Jeuno." Recall that the multinational expedition took place in C.E. 852. The War starts in 862. Current day is ~882.

To certify this, during Rise of the Zilart, the following exchange
    LION
    Isn’t that the floating island you call the Gate of the Gods? That was destroyed when the ancient capital of the Zilart was submerged!

KAM’LANAUT
    Just as we Zilart slept for thousands of years, Tu’Lia has remained in slumber. Miles above the surface of Vana’diel, it bides its time until the day of awakening. And on this day, eternal paradise will be within my grasp.

LION
    Slept? You mean to tell me that you’ve been knocked out here in Delkfutt’s tower for ten thousand years?

KAM’LANAUT
    You are fairly intuitive for a mere Hume. Thirty years ago, when Raogrimm came in contact with the crystal in the cursed Northlands, some of its energy flowed to this tower. It was that burst of power that awoke us, giving us the opportunity to continue our quest for Paradise.

ZEID
    Long ago, your people paid the price for what you did. What’s to be gained by chasing after lost dreams?

ALDO
    I’ve had enough! You’ve spent the last thirty years deceiving everyone in Jeuno. You could care less about the people of this world! You’re just using the power here in an attempt to take over Vana’diel!

KAM’LANAUT
    Hm-hm-hm...
    Hah-hah-hah! I can no longer fool you. Behold! I am the will of the crystal!
    has both Kam'lanaut and Aldo claiming the thirty-year mark.

I suppose the error in the quest dialogue can be filed with the cases where Ulrich is called Volker's grandfather rather than his uncle during Bastok cutscenes. There are some problems with the game's script that were never fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Judging by the architecture, building materials (Stone instead of Ceramite), and lack of technology, Uggalepih probably post dates the zilart collapse. Given their penchant for avatar worship (or what passes for reverence in Vana'diel), it was probably built as a refuge from any post-collapse remnants of the Zilart empire, given its distance from any Zilart structures and relative closeness to Ifrit's and Leviathan's Protocrystals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast