Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Mage Help     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Red Mage Help

Hey everyone,
    Figured now would be a good time to post since we're all finding ways to fight off the withdraw symptoms until the servers come back online. I've been a long time Dragoon player and have recently decided to take up Red Mage. The appealing part of this job is it's ability to serve any role, but I would like to toy around with rdm tanking and soloing most. I strive for perfection and spend alot of time researching equipment and such which came naturally as a DD, but is giving me some problems as a rdm. I really would like to avoid looking like a MyFirstMage asshat without any idea what he's doing. I scanned through the forums and couldn't really find any threads that gave a run down of Magic Users 101. If anyone could provide some insight or even throw in some links to previous threads that could help me out I would really appreciate it. Also note that I'm not just looking for a quick and easy guide all bundled up nice and tidy. I don't mind reading and researching if you could point me in the right direction.

I understood my Dragoon in ways such as:
    -STR/DEX macros for Penta Thrust to increase damage
    -Parse ACC% to see how much acc gear and what food I need
    -Obvious weapon choices
    -etc etc

What I'm looking for in Red Mage I guess is along the lines of:
    -When do you use MAB over INT or skill+ for nuking?
    -Which stats enhance which enfeebling spells and when are these stats favored over skill+?
    -Elemental Staves for nuking are easy, but which staves for enhancing, enfeebling, and dark magic?
    -Anything else that would seem basic for every other mage that might not be obvious to a new player

Thanks in advance to those of you who gave me a read, even more so to anyone who replies
    -Gaborn of Asura

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: Red Mage Help

Hi

- I'm not really sure on that one since I'm not really an offensive Rdm, but I guess you'd use MAB/INT over Skill if you're almost sure you won't be resisted. So basically on big mobs I'd go with Skill since we don't have a really good base cap.
    As for the difference between MAB and INT, I'll let a Blm explain since I don't really know

- Well, you would use MND for Para/Slow mainly. With more MND, your Para will kick in more often and your Slow will slow mobs more. And you'd use INT for Blind I guess, since it doesn't affect Gravity (maybe it will last longer? I'm not sure but I don't think so). I would use MND/INT over Skill when I'm sure I won't be resisted. Sticking an enfeeb is nice, but if your Para kicks in every 5 minutes it's not really going to help your tanks.

- I don't think Staves have a big impact on Enhancing spells (like, Earth/Terra doesn't make your Stoneskin better, but MND will. Correct me if I'm wrong). Regarding Enfeebs, it's pretty much the same as Elemental spells, so you'd use Ice/Aquilo for Para, Earth/Terra for Slow, Wind/Auster for Silence/Gravi, Dark/Pluto for Sleep etc. Regarding Dark spells such as Drain or Aspir, Dark/Pluto will help. Not sure if it has an impact on Bio though.

- On things you are comfortable your nukes won't get resisted - put on more MAB/INT to increase damage. ENMs, exp mobs, and the likes. Also depends on your magic merits.

- Stats for debuffs are pretty simple. MND for slow and paralyze. Again, these stats are favored over Skill+ when you are comfortable that it will land without having to wear maximum skill. Spells like Bind, gravity, silence, etc. you just need to focus on Skill+ (and MAcc i guess) because all that matters is if they land.

- Earth staff for Slow. Ice for Paralyze and Bind. Dark for dark magic, blind, sleep. Water for Poison. Wind for Silence and Gravity. Staff does not matter for enhancing (unless it's MND+ for Stoneskin).

You can talk to me in game since I'm on Asura too if you want. Otherwise that is some basic answers to your questions.

What about Merits? 5/5 Convert recast is without question. Are any of the other tier I merits worthwhile? And for Tier II merits, does personal preference come into play at all or are there clear cut spells that are better than others?

Banned.

BG Level

Ice magic for Bind, Para (mostly Bind).
    Earth Magic for Slow.

Tier II - will depend on what you want RDM for and if you plan on coordinate with your LS RDMs.

A tank PT RDM, would have capped Phalanx II (Not needed for fights but nice to have), and probably Slow II.

Dia III if you like to merit whore, probably good for solo too.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Slow II, imo, is godly no matter what. Para II, well I have it capped but I've noticed it can be random as hell. Best thing is if you are in a HNMLS, work out what your other rdm have, and if there is a gap, think about filling it. Dia III is useful on fights like DL. Tank parties will love you for Phalanx II. No point everyone having the same spells.

Personally, for group 1 I've gone 3 Convert, 4 Ice Acc, 3 Wind Acc, because it suits my style of playing. If rdm is your only mage job, you can't go far wrong with 8/8 enfeebling, and consider 8/8 elemental if you are nuking (I have rdm and blm at 75, so that was a no brainer). Get enough skill, and you can then load up the mnd for potency of enfeebles like slow and para.

Merits depend on your playstyle and what you'd like to do with your RDM. 5/5 Convert - excellent. Recommend this to anyone regardless of playstyle. I did 3 Ice, 2 Wind. For Grav and Bind mostly. These spells are the ohshit spells where if they resist it's pretty ugly.

As far as Tier II merits, they are for tweaking your RDM to how you play it. I did 3/3 Slow and Phalanx. This is for solo play, slowing HNMs, and salvage/tank parties. Dia III is nice to have if you are going to be doing Zerg fights as RDM. Para II is nice to merit out if you are usually paired with another RDM who already did Slow II. I don't recommend Bio III, and have not experienced Blind II. Phalanx isn't worth meritting unless you do it to level 2-3.

Convert 5/5 Ice Magic Accuracy 2/5 Earth Magic Accuracy 2/5 - 1 point left over

Phalanx II 3/3 Slow II 3/3

From what I have heard (which could very well be totally wrong) Bio is preferred over Dia for soloing because of the ATT down effect it has. I have also heard that Bio III is NOT worth the merits because of high MP cost and relatively short duration. Also seems like nobody really cares for Paralyze II or Blind II because of the randomness of these effects? Or are the other choices just superior in general?

Bio is a LOT more damage per tick that's why it's used for solo.

So then is it possible ot restructure the merits to include Bio III and well as Slow II? Or would that weaken each spell too much due to the 6 point merit cap?

A Red Mage from my linkshell suggested Phalanx II 2/3 Bio III 2/3 Slow II 2/3

I've always felt that SE designed these new merits to make players more specialized in their jobs and not just to give them a full list of new abilities. The vast majority of the Tier II merits seem useful only if they are capped at 3/3. Would this combination work, would another combination work, or should I cut these down to 2 spells 3/3?

Sorry to use your thread for this question, Gaborn, but I'm in the process of leveling my subs for RDM, and had a question (didn't want to make a new thread on it though.)

I started out on San d'Oria - would it be worth it to switch to Windurst for the EX Bracers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborn
    So then is it possible ot restructure the merits to include Bio III and well as Slow II? Or would that weaken each spell too much due to the 6 point merit cap?

I've always felt that SE designed these new merits to make players more specialized in their jobs and not just to give them a full list of new abilities. The vast majority of the Tier II merits seem useful only if they are capped at 3/3. Would this combination work, would another combination work, or should I cut these down to 2 spells 3/3?
    I had 3/3 Bio III at one point. I really dont know why I wasted the points on it. It's actually not a huge bump up from Bio II if you have dark magic gear. It's also alot more MP. If you went 2/3 on Phalanx and Slow, I'd put the other two into Para. I'm with the idea of being specialized though (going 3/3 in those you choose) and living without the other ones.

Edit: I hardly ever use my Mst Cst bracelets, but they're cool for epeen skill+ and very good for their level. But with RDM being a main heal now for exp situations, MP+ would probably be better.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

personally i like para II, just because it is more accurate then para 1, so more likely to land in full mnd gear (thus getting me more procs). i only do endgame-lite tho atm, for the things i do it works very well for me (proto-ultima is absolutely owned by para II, ditto salvage boss chariots, and most of the thigns i like to /poke at solo/duo/trio, like that stupid turtle i keep being dragged to by mnks.). for someone who does more endgame then that, slow II is probably more useful because it is less random.

staves match the color to the color of the spell for offencive spells, easy, and answered already...except for once you hit 75 or when you are are NOT overhunting while lving. in which case swap to wand/mnd shield for para and slow. when you are overhunting while xping stick to your staff for accuracy.

and, /pet peeve/ best way to look like "myfirstmage" is to wear a spider torque at 75. please don't.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

The min~max(~37%) % of slow gained from level 3 in slow2 far outweighs the benefits gained from having 2 other new spells.

To Jikku: Don't apologize for using my thread, that's EXACTLY what i want this to be. I encourage everyone reading to jump on board and throw their questions out there. Like I said in the OP, I don't mind sifting through the walls of text to pull out the useful information.

I can't find damage charts for Bio III, but with RDMs lousy Dark Magic skill, what is the best way to jack it up for Bio II?

Still looking for some more feedback on whether or not 2/3 would be effective for Phalanx II and Slow II. I'll scrap the idea of Bio III and replace that with Paralyze II? Rrynn has alot to say about Paralyze II can I get a confirmation or counter-argument?

No Spider Torque, got it. I'm not really interested in pre-75 gear. I'll be leveling quickly and prefer to go right for the best equipment pieces rather than wasting time and money on pieces that will be outdated in a week. Neck pieces were one of the trickier ones I was wondering about. Suggestions?

I can't find damage charts for Bio III, but with RDMs lousy Dark Magic skill, what is the best way to jack it up for Bio II?
    Crimson Finger Gauntlets, Merciful Cape, Abyssal earring, Dark torque/earring

Rrynn has alot to say about Paralyze II can I get a confirmation or counter-argument?
    From experience having 2 RDMs for the things he mentioned (Ultima, Omega, Salvage bosses) yes, Paralyze II absolutely owns them. It's good for things like that, and extra macc to be able to use more MND. Having 2/3 on each of them will let you be more versatile that way if you don't have a co-RDM.

No Spider Torque, got it. I'm not really interested in pre-75 gear. I'll be leveling quickly and prefer to go right for the best equipment pieces rather than wasting time and money on pieces that will be outdated in a week. Neck pieces were one of the trickier ones I was wondering about. Suggestions?
    Torques. Enfeebling, Elemental, Enhancing, Dark... Uggy pendant too. Promise badge if you want a MND piece.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by chapstick
    Torques. Enfeebling, Elemental, Enhancing, Dark... Uggy pendant too. Promise badge if you want a MND piece.
    I keep a Beak Necklace +1 as well for converting and resting.

My T1 merits - 4 convert 3 ice 3 wind. This was before tier 2 were introduced so I mostly focused on "life or death" spells like bind, gravity, and silence. If I were to redo it I might mix some earth in there as well for slow II.

My T2 merits - Max slow and para. I can't ever see Dia or Bio 3 as being worth the MP cost. Phalanx 2 is great if your LS needs it. Do you see yourself playing the tank RDM? If so, maybe go max Slow and max Phalanx. Either way I would never go partial on spell merits, max it out or don't bother imo. Being 2/3 on a spell just means somebody in your LS can do it better.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

i seccond the entire above list of neck peices, preferably as soon as you lv into them. altho uggy is situational imho, and often you will be using elemental torque instead unless/until you merit elmental skill/get af2 pants etc.

master casters i would not change nations just for..but if you are windurstian, or are doing missions for storyline, worth spending CP on. they always work in dynamis and limbus/sea if nothing else, and often work in sky (which is nice if you are trying any big solos up there really).

bio damage, anything with dark skill helps. pluto's staff helps initial damage, but i am unsure if it helps DoT (can anyone link to a test?). also unsure as to how much/little macc helps on this, but it is noticable on drain/aspir which function similarly so i'm assuming it can't hurt (again, anyone test this/can link?)

I personally have 5 vert 5 ice acc for tier 1.
    3 Slow II 1 Para II(Which is gonna get dropped prolly because my Para1 procs more) 2 Phalanx II (prolly get raised to level 3).
    Bio III is worthless... if you think 2/tick more dmg over Bio II @ 211 Dark Magic skill is ALOT, then by all means go for it, for my playing style, Bio II is fine.. 6/tick vs 8/tick... If you can't bump ur Dark magic up to 211 for Bio II then you fail. Merc. Cape/Dark Torque/Crimson(Blood) gauntlets etc.

Pretty well rounded RDM now, Potency setup 314 skill/+60MND which could be 70 with a little work and luck in salvage.
    Nuking setup +40ish INT @ 283 elemental skill. Max enfeebling @ 339skill/+10 magic accuracy(without master caster's bracelets).

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

forgot to mention since you didn't ask: i find hMp gear to be very important on rdm. in a lot of situations you may only get a few tics of rest per convert cycle, so maximizing the mp you get back can be vital. also maxing out your convert, you want to make sure you have *at least* enough "extra" mp to cure yourself to full, and hopefully get off a few refresh/haste/cures as well before you are back down to your casting mp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast