+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray or HD DVD?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Blu-ray or HD DVD?

I've been researching about HD DVD and blu-ray players and I can't really decide on which one to choose. I was minutes away from buying the Toshiba HD-A35 1080p HD DVD Player but then I thought, how about Blu-ray? I can get a player and a gaming console in the same time, which is ps3. Though, after reading CNET's review, I began to rethink my options. It seems like Blu-ray is starting to get boycotted by Hollywood for some reason.

So now I ask you, BG. Blu-ray or HD DVD?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

Re: Blu-ray or HD DVD?

bluray in a ps3, no doubt

pirahna1

You can't really be certain what to buy (yet) because a single format has yet to be chosen, hell we might even go through this gen supporting both formats! But to be realistic, if I were to buy a next-gen video player, it would be a PS3, only because they're rather cheap for a Blu-Ray player ($400) AND you get a gaming console that'll be around for at least the next 5-7 years, so you really can't go wrong.

Plus my g/f is a HUGE Disney/Pixar freak and they're supporting BR only. Most of the HD-DVD supporters also support Blu-Ray, so you'll only be missing a few titles (Matrix comes to mind, although they might be releasing a BR version sometime down the road).

Wiki has a great article that compares the two and has a list of all the devs signed up for either format.
    EDIT: Here ya go: Comparison of high definition optical disc formats

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If youre looking for a good deal on a player, PS3 will be the best deal as it's a game sytem as well.
    If you want to soley buy a player, I would go with HD as I find it's superiour to BR.
    Or the better option, dont buy either cuse they are both pointless and wait to get a cheap hybrid player.

Never rub another man's rhubarb.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by FireCrystal
    I've been researching about HD DVD and blu-ray players and I can't really decide on which one to choose. I was minutes away from buying the Toshiba HD-A35 1080p HD DVD Player but then I thought, how about Blu-ray? I can get a player and a gaming console in the same time, which is ps3. Though, after reading CNET's review, I began to rethink my options. It seems like Blu-ray is starting to get boycotted by Hollywood for some reason.

So now I ask you, BG. Blu-ray or HD DVD?
    First of all, I'd personally recommend getting Blu-ray but then again I'm probably biased since I have a PS3. But also, what did you read that said Blu-ray was started to get boycotted by Hollywood? I'd kind of like to read that.

blu-ray seems to be better quality, however, it might go the way of betamax.

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Blu-ray has better quality and better sound quality, but as they said its to early to tell at this point.

I was in the same boat, blue ray ftw.

Blu-ray > HD DVD

But with HD DVD players being only $99 now, I say fuck it and just get both.

If you get a PS3..dont forget you will get 6 free Blu-Ray movies to go with it

Spider-Man 3....then 5 more (depends on the list of movies they give you to choose from)

It goes the same with HD-DVD also, think you get Heroes Season 1/King Kong + 5 more HD-DVD

If you can get the 80GB model for $499, the 40GB model lacks the option to play PS2 games, playes PS1/PS3 games only

If you want think of the PS3 as an investment, maybe eventually it could really become a universal media center piece, if you use all the features provided

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by GraveRobberX
    If you get a PS3..dont forget you will get 6 free Blu-Ray movies to go with it

Spider-Man 3....then 5 more (depends on the list of movies they give you to choose from)

It goes the same with HD-DVD also, think you get Heroes Season 1/King Kong + 5 more HD-DVD

If you can get the 80GB model for $499, the 40GB model lacks the option to play PS2 games, playes PS1/PS3 games only

If you want think of the PS3 as an investment, maybe eventually it could really become a universal media center piece, if you use all the features provided
    2 things: Only certain models come with the free DVD deal (I think it's the 40GB), and the 80GB can play PS2 games, but it's software emulation instead of actually having an Emotion Engine chip.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Vertabreaker
    Blu-ray > HD DVD

Too bad that the HD-DVD players below $350 don't display 1080p.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertabreaker
    Blu-ray > HD DVD

Too bad that the HD-DVD players below $350 don't display 1080p.
    Too bad no one watches their movies with a magnifying glass.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Like I said before, if I have a television that supports 1080p why the shit would I want to buy an HD player that doesn't?

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    Too bad no one watches their movies with a magnifying glass.
    ^ lol, by that logic why the fuck go hd then? I can stand a couple of meters from my tube tv and HD and can't tell any difference.

ANYWAYS, PS3 owner so my opinion is a bit bias. The better format is BD, however, that doesn't mean it will be the standard. Right now I'd suggest to get the PS3 and take advantage of the BD since Sony is obviously aiming for that sector (read: folk in your pos). Furthermore, toshiba was the only manufacturer of hd-dvd, so you don't have many options as far as players go.

Just embrace BD >_>

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, Blu-ray probably safer, especially if HD goes obsolete.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bryant Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

blu-ray.

Never really cared about the blu ray vs hd-dvd thing despite owning a ps3......

Anyway blu-ray just sounds cooler....I mean seriously hd-dvd just doesn't have that certain ring to it.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Right now if you go either direction you're going to regret it at some point down the line. The more people that vote 'fuck it' this holiday season the more market pressure will build for an affordable hybrid player to come out sometime next year. Then the decision is a nobrainer and you can pick based on features you care about rather than 'which format is likely to die?'

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Stee
    Anyway blu-ray just sounds cooler....I mean seriously hd-dvd just doesn't have that certain ring to it.
    But HD sounds more technical! Blu-ray sounds more like a gimmick or brand name. HD sounds more like a term.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast