+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Re: NFL Week 13 Picks *Big Game Week*

Don't know why it's such a huge deal to everyone. Dallas won, Packers lost. Deal with it. It's not the end of the world for the Packers. They're still 10-2.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    DBs and safety's run full stride and just flail their arms in hopes of possible blocking the ball all the time. Half turning your body to look where the ball is slows you down. When you are getting beat (and he was) it's best to just go full blown sprint. Watch DBs on moss. This rube goldberg reaction of leg tangling just makes you sound absurd...but then again, you apparently read minds. Who knew it was intentional!?!
    I agree, but was he making a play on the ball? Nope, more like making a play on Austin's feet. CB's who get beat deep wouldn't let the WR get the touchdown, they'd rather PI (William's trying to grab Austin's shoulder and hand), since they'll have more chances of stopping them from scoring. And that's what I think William's did. That's why I said he did it intentionally.

Edit: unless im missing something, I don't see any leg wrapping in that picture.
    You can see that the right shoe of Austin's is on the other side of William's leg.

Anyways, Packers down, next up 15-1!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu
    Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    I think Dallas has a better shot beating the Pats anyways, so i'm happy they won homefield advantage over the packers.
    What about the whole losing to the Patriots by three touchdowns thing? At least Green Bay would go into the game not knowing that earlier in the season they were dominated by the team across the field.

While yesterdays game doesn't prove my point at all, I think over the course of the season GB has proven that they're decent at controlling the run with the front 4, when healthy at least... With that they can drop more people into coverage. If Woodson and Harris are both healthy, I like their odds against Moss.

I mean honestly I don't think any team in the NFL can beat the Patriots right now, but best chance Dallas? Let's let the playoffs determine that one. I really hope GB gets another chance, because I know McCarthy is pissed off at himself right now about that play calling and I'm sure Favre feels just as bad.
    dallas also had a starting corner out which is a huge difference, most of the points was on jaques reeves side, and the other corner was only 60%, would have been completly different with those 2 players

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

cant use the injury card when the other team has some 2 lol (newman/henry both playing with ankle injuries, lolglenn and furgenson). then if you use the penalty excuse... PI was 1st and 10 so.. would have been a score anyways and the cowboys last drive was just running with barber to burn the clock and they kicked a mercy field goal to end the game comfortably.

Anyways - I sooo called the 15-1 a few weeks ago! I just hope they get their secondary healthy for the playoffs because thats their only real weakness, well that and their special teams kickoff coverage.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven
    .gif of ware's jump on the ball, you will notice he jumped when the center raised his head, which is actually a false start.
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/199...ckers07tr2.gif
    The center is allowed to raise his head, as long as he doesn't begin to rise out of his stance, or "attempt to simulate a snap". Centers frequently look forward after getting set, before snapping the ball. Ware just misread the motion and jumped the snap.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Mike Pereira - Starts out the with the "controversial" Pass Interference call.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804ad69b

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kailee
    http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7531/bsxl9.png

Williams isn't even looking for the ball(P.I.), and Austin's leg is wrapped around Williams leg, which caused him to kick William's leg(trip), which caused him to kick his own leg, and fall. It wouldn't have been PI if they were running stride for stride, or from one side to another. Williams was trailing him, with the intention of tripping him. Because, what else would you do if you were trailing with your eyes straight ahead towards the endzone, go for the ball? Don't think so.

Edit: Added the definitions of "trip."
    trip (tr?p) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    3. A maneuver causing someone to stumble or fall. The catching of legs between the two.
    6. a sudden impeding or catching of a person's foot so as to throw the person down, esp. in wrestling. William's knee/leg catching Austin's feet.
    DBs and safety's run full stride and just flail their arms in hopes of possible blocking the ball all the time. Half turning your body to look where the ball is slows you down.
    No they don't. It's against the rules to do that.

The proper way to guard a WR in that situation is to turn around and run full speed with him and watch the WR's face. When you see the WR's eyes widen and his arms begin to out stretch is when you turn around to make a play.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Kailee
    http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7531/bsxl9.png

Williams isn't even looking for the ball(P.I.), and Austin's leg is wrapped around Williams leg, which caused him to kick William's leg(trip), which caused him to kick his own leg, and fall. It wouldn't have been PI if they were running stride for stride, or from one side to another. Williams was trailing him, with the intention of tripping him. Because, what else would you do if you were trailing with your eyes straight ahead towards the endzone, go for the ball? Don't think so.

Edit: Added the definitions of "trip."
    trip (tr?p) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    3. A maneuver causing someone to stumble or fall. The catching of legs between the two.
    6. a sudden impeding or catching of a person's foot so as to throw the person down, esp. in wrestling. William's knee/leg catching Austin's feet.
    DBs and safety's run full stride and just flail their arms in hopes of possible blocking the ball all the time. Half turning your body to look where the ball is slows you down.
    No they don't. It's against the rules to do that.

The proper way to guard a WR in that situation is to turn around and run full speed with him and watch the WR's face. When you see the WR's eyes widen and his arms begin to out stretch is when you turn around to make a play.
    No it's not, it happens a lot on corner fade routes to end-zone corners. DBs may not see the ball and just wave their hands in the air attempting to get block. Unless you thought I meant flail their arms into the receiver...

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

No it's not, it happens a lot on corner fade routes to end-zone corners. DBs may not see the ball and just wave their hands in the air attempting to get block. Unless you thought I meant flail their arms into the receiver...
    That's pass interference if he's not playing the receiver's eyes. (it's not always called though) You're not allowed to block a receiver with your arms/body if you're not making a play to the ball. You can only do that when you see that the receiver is getting ready to catch the ball, because you're attempting to stop him from catching it.

I play a lot of WR and Corner. Every good WR knows not to put his hands up until the ball is within arms length in order to give the DB the smallest amount of time to make a play.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

That's pass interference if he's not playing the receiver's eyes. (it's not always called though) You're not allowed to block a receiver with your arm if you're not making a play to the ball. You can only do that when you see that the receiver is getting ready to catch the ball, because you're attempting to stop him from catching it.
    Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.
    I fail to see it. All of the examples involve contacting the receiver.

This was on wiki

Canadian football, pass interference is a penalty that occurs when a player interferes with an eligible receiver's ability to make a fair attempt to catch a forward pass. Pass interference may include tripping, pushing, pulling, or cutting in front of the receiver or pulling on the receiver's arms. It does not include catching or batting the ball before it reaches the receiver. Once the ball touches any defensive player or eligible offensive receiver the above rules no longer apply and the defender may tackle the receiver or attempt to prevent him from gaining control of the ball.
    Bolded for emphasis.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

It's a mix of A and D.

I've always been taught to play that way because running with your hands up isn't the proper way to read the ball or defend a pass. Like I said, it doesn't happen a lot but referees DO call it.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Both a and D involve contact, where as just throwing your arms up in attempt of a block does not. You are making a play on the ball, even if you aren't looking at it. I've never seen this called PI, nor can I find any evidence to suggest it's an illegal action.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Canadian football, pass interference is a penalty that occurs when a player interferes with an eligible receiver's ability to make a fair attempt to catch a forward pass. Pass interference may include tripping, pushing, pulling, or cutting in front of the receiver or pulling on the receiver's arms. It does not include catching or batting the ball before it reaches the receiver. Once the ball touches any defensive player or eligible offensive receiver the above rules no longer apply and the defender may tackle the receiver or attempt to prevent him from gaining control of the ball.
    Bolded for emphasis.
    You bolded the wrong part.
    Of course you're allowed to battle for the ball no disputing that. What you're not allowed to do though is block the receiver if you're not making a play for the ball.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

How is it cutting in front of the receiver if you are already in that position? That rule is talking about a player running across the field which causes the reciever to either A. Go around them, or B. Run through them, both of which prevent them from making a play on the ball.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Both a and D involve contact, where as just throwing your arms up in attempt of a block does not. You are making a play on the ball, even if you aren't looking at it. I've never seen this called PI, nor can I find any evidence to suggest it's an illegal action.
    I got in a huge argument with my friend (CB, i'm a WR) about this a couple weeks ago. Referees (usually the nit picky ones) will call pass inteference if you run in front of a receiver with your arms up the whole time the ball is in the air. You're not making a play to the ball at all, you're just blocking him from getting to the ball. Which (may not be in the books) will end up in a flag.

You probably don't see it happen that often because it's kind of a golden rule when guarding those plays. No smart DB would put his hands up just because he sees the WR running an out. You're taught to wait for to the last second so you don't get flagged.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Deejay, you sir, are retarded.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

How is it cutting in front of the receiver if you are already in that position? That rule is talking about a player running across the field which causes the reciever to either A. Go around them, or B. Run through them, both of which prevent them from making a play on the ball.
    k, pretend Plaxico Buress was running a slant out to the corner of the end zone. Let's say his CB bit on a play action so Plax has two steps on him. If the pass is a lob to the corner, the DB isn't allowed to stay in the WR's face with his arms up if he's not making a play. It's called every now and then but not always.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

The only time an NFL ref will call pass interference without contact is if the DB is "faceguarding" - blocking the receiver's line of sight with his hands to disrupt his ability to catch the ball.

You see this called like 4 times a season. Maybe.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Plax is blue, DB is black. Brown dot is the ball. If the DB is running behind plax and has his arms in the air, and the ball hit's his arm, it isn't PI.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3156/ezny0.jpg

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane
    The only time an NFL ref will call pass interference without contact is if the DB is "faceguarding" - blocking the receiver's line of sight with his hands to disrupt his ability to catch the ball.

You see this called like 4 times a season. Maybe.
    That's what i'm trying to point out. It doesn't happen a lot but it's called.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast